StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Different Types of Sanitizer

I like to know what kinds of sanitizer you all use and the best place to buy it for.
Thanks guys.

Tagged:

Comments

• Pretty sure you mean sanitiser.

Keg King has Phosphoric sanitizer (Starsan) and while you are shopping with them add a kilo or two of sodium percarbonate brewery cleaner to your cart. Use the PBW with hot water for cleaning anything.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2016

100% Pure Sodium Percarbonate 1kg Bag @ Keg King AU

Phosphoric Acid Blend Sanitiser 300ml @ Keg King AU

Get a couple of 5mm syringes from the chemist (you don't want the needles, just the syringes) and use one to measure 2ml/litre for the sanitiser.

gold.jpg
    800 x 597 - 61K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yowzah on the StarSan. Phosphoric acid and a surfactant. Mixed correctly it doesn't need to be drained off whatever you sanitized, and it has virtually no taste, so a bit of foam in a bottle is ok. I'm sure brew-supply PBS is probably a bit better than supermarket OxyClean, but even OxyClean is super stuff.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited June 2016

You'd remember back more than 30 years ago when the only sanitiser available was the sodium metabisulfite, Bob.

Horrible choking stuff, i'm sure i have permanent throat damage from breathing the fumes.

I do have to say i'm too old school to believe in no-rinse and it all gets a quick rinse.

• edited June 2016

Mix up some Star San in an industrial spray bottle. Just spray down everything. Gaskets, clamps, valves, etc.

• edited June 2016

@punkin said: I do have to say i'm too old school to believe in no-rinse and it all gets a quick rinse. I bottle both beer and wines, and use a pump thingy to shoot StarSan up inside the bottles, which then go on a bottle tree to drain. I used to worry about the odd bit of foam inside the bottles, at least until I tasted the foam. For all practical purposes, no taste at all.

I still use a bit of metabisulfite now an then, to kinda stun the wild beasties on the fruit for wine before pitching yeast, but yeah, as a general purpose sterilizer it was awful. And I don't use iodophor anymore, either.

• Anyone using Chlorine Dioxide as a steriant. We have started using it for bottle rinse prior to filling and also for final just post tank CIP and rinse.

Working really great.

• I use: 100% sodium percarbonate as a cleaner and Iodophor as a no rinse sanitiser.

I only use sodium metabisulphite in empty no chill cubes I will be storing for a while to make sure any nasties have no chance of growing in em.

• Hydrogen peroxide at 1% solution works pretty well. Especially if you have any calciferous (?) deposits built up from hard water.

• I use plain ole sodium hypochlorite, and rinse well, on glass and plastic. Iodophor with a rinse on my stainless stuff. Stainless does not react well with chlorine.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited June 2016

If cost is an issue, you are probably better off going through a higher volume of Iodophor, which is dirt cheap, than using a higher-cost sanitizer like name brand Star San sporadically. Some people don't like the fact that Star-San foams up quite considerably. Some people don't like that Iodophor stains white plastic. Some people like that Iodophor has a very broad spectrum of effectiveness. Either one is better than nothing at all.

• every swinging dick on here needs to listen to the following podcast.... interview with the guy who invented star-san.... (yes, it is almost 10 years old... but listen to it... you can skip to 8:50 to get to the meat of the conversation..

Podcast 03-29-07 (MP3)

FYI - the previous weeks is on iodophor from national chemicals

Podcast 03-22-07 (MP3)

• dilute peracetic acid in a spray bottle. spritz spritz spritz

• You can use Saniclean instead of Star San if you are looking to eliminate the foam issue. It takes a bit more though. At the brewery we rotate through everything - Star San, Sani-clean, Idophore, Chlorine Dioxide, Peracetic acid, and last but certainly not least, good 'ol hot water treatment (180 F water for 1/2 hr.) Can't beat the heat for deep penetration of any bio-films that some of the nasties produce. Having battled my share of acid producing bacteria in the brewery, all of our fermenters get heat treatment prior to usage - I will never rely on chemical sanitizers alone when putting product in a can that may sit on the shelf for a year...

• I've never heard of per acetic acid before, or even the COOOH group. It's not a carboxyl group, so what is it? I'd expect a whole 'nother class of organic acids.

• Peractic acid works well however care needs to be taken in its use. Prior to the run, the line needs to be flushed as there is a taint / taste from the peracetic acid that needs to be taken care of. We originally used it for bottle rinse with the sterilant but stopped it because of the residual taste / taint. We changed to chlorine dioxide instead.

• @zymurgybob said: I've never heard of per acetic acid before, or even the COOOH group. It's not a carboxyl group, so what is it? I'd expect a whole 'nother class of organic acids.

It's sometimes called peroxyacetic acid. The (-O-O-) part of the molecule makes it a peroxide. Used widely in breweries

• Do you have any experience with electrolyzed water?

• edited June 2016

We have an ozone system for our washdown station hose.

Clearwater Technologies - it uses venturi injection.

CLEAN-IN-PLACE CORONA DISCHARGE OZONE SYSTEMS (PDF)

We use the CD10/AD which is somewhere in between the CIP20 and CIP260.

Only thing is the flow rate needs to slow when you use ozone.

• edited June 2016

Nice thing is we can spray down everything, floors, equipment (inside and out), walls, floor drains, etc. If we do fruit, we can wash the fruit with the ozonated water to sterilize without needing to use sulfur compounds.

I wouldn't use this at home, ozone gas is nasty.

• @grim said: Only thing is the flow rate needs to slow when you use ozone.

Not to mention ozone in the work atmosphere is a headache (literally).

• The one I was thinking of was SPX safewater

• I used the ozone thing on my hot tub for 10 years, it cut bromine use by 90%

• That explains a lot!

• THat SPX system looks like a budget buster

• Not for the little guy, but nether is haveing a choice between the canning line or the bottling line in your brewery.
    From what I remember it was a coaxial electrode set up with zero consumables and the two product that had differant uses but limited lifespan before reverting back to water. Might be able to make something up that does the same thing.

• edited June 2016

If you are looking to make something up, check into the ozone route. Here is a pretty nice overview/case study.

The Use of Aqueous Ozone in the Beer and Wine Industry (PDF)

For straight wash down, it's pretty simplistic. Ozone generator, venturi injection. Ideally, measure concentration with an ORP monitor setup.

We don't replace sanitizers with the ozone, but the ozone gives us an easy way to quickly sanitize large surfaces, floors, drains, etc - without mixing and wasting chemicals.

• edited June 2016

So far as I want something that's cheep and works good...

I was thinking of using 100% pure sodium with hot water on everything after my run to kill everything.....

Then wash everything down with clean cool water.....

Then use phosphoric to spray and leave on without rinsing off on every thing......

Does this sound right @punkin or is there someone that uses the same sanitisers?

Do I have to clean once more before my next run?

Thanks for all the info guys.

• 100% pure sodium and hot water?

That sounds f@cking awesome.

• @grim said: 100% pure sodium and hot water?

That sounds f@cking awesome.

I meant 100% pure sodium percarbonate and hot water.