Remodel my 10L Spanish Alembic Pot Still to become a Helmet for my Baby Dragon

Hi ,

I'm going to remodel my first little pot still to fit my Baby Crystal Dragon.

I have soldered the head to the pot. I will solder a 2" punkin copper to SS ferrel to the top. The bottom of the pot is flat. My question is about the flat bottom side:

If I just solder the pipe in, should I leave a few millimeters inside to act like a down comer? Boiling on the flat section. Or do I make a basic cone removing the flat bottom straight to 2"? Or leave some flat bottom, make cone to 2"?

Penny for your thought,
Richy

Comments

• edited May 2016

Call me crazy.

Pop a hole in the bottom for a ProCap - solder the copper/ss ferrule to the flat bottom so that you've got another plate in your alembic head. Like putting a brand new motor in a 1930s hot rod.

Otherwise, try to form a bowl on the bottom, no downcomer - you don't want to trap liquid at the bottom - you won't have enough parasitic heat coming up the column to do anything with the reflux that pools there. It might be hard to form that bowl if you've already soldered on the head - if that's the case - just solder to flat.

Post pictures, I bet it looks pretty cool when you are done.

• Great idea, that's what I'm going to do. Should i put a ProCap in the head too, or will the liquid get trapped? It would be like a upside down v.

Thanks,
    Richy

• I managed to get a little dome in the bottom. I used a broom stick and my masterbation skills to form a little dome. I sat down, held the broom stick between my legs and smashed out a little dome. I will put a ProCap in the bottom, no ProCap in the top.

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 41K
  • Got the pro cap in the bottom , ferrule on top , just need to put the ferrule on the bottom and clean it up.
    What are the best ways to clean it and make it shiny?
    Regards
    Richy

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
  • edited May 2016

Drop it in a bucket of hot backset straight from the still and leave it overnight.

Looks great buddy.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Look better when I get the the bottom flange :)

• Sorry mate, it'll leave on Monday express.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Dont feel bad , Just fucking with you

• I was thinking of adding a 4 inch screw on lens cap for looks and looking at the magic. Can I use this kit from jaycar to join the SS ferule to copper with a LPG blow torch?

Regards
    Richy

• Wow looking good - you can always take a bit of abrasive paper and take the excess solder off before you dip that in acid.

• @grim said: Wow looking good - you can always take a bit of abrasive paper and take the excess solder off before you dip that in acid.

When you say abrasive paper , do you mean the New York times and there article on Australian refugees ;p

• Abrasive? The New York Times opinion page is so soft and fluffy you can wipe a baby's ass with it and it will giggle.

• Ive added the bottom ferrule. What sort of pressure test do i need ? Would tap pressure be ok?

• Cap up one end and fill it with water.

• or put your hand over one end and blow in the other.

• I dont have a girlfriend so im doing that anyway. But seriously I have a Wife , so im doing that anyway. I tryied testing it punkin's way, I felt like a Retarded Miles Davis but it didnt leak.

• :))