StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Big Rum Thread

edited May 2013 in Recipes

Post your recipes, trials dunder pit horrors and all rum related discussion here.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Comments

• havnt made rum for a while but just checked my molasses (its been sitting there for a we bit) and it has a white mould growing on top, would it still be ok to use? does it go off?

• Cleadus, I also had the white spiderweb mold on an UJ but it made a truly great drinking booze.

I still sanitized the fermenter afterwards but I'm not sure I should have. Thinking the mold was not a bad thing after all.

• Hey Cleadus, I would scrape off the mould, keep it aside in a bucket and start a dunder pit. One of my 25 litre cubes of molasses had a little white mould and I fermented with it anyway, made no difference to the finished product and I'm still here :P As for molasses going off, I don't think so, we used to strip flathead V8 engines in the stuff!

• You'll be the envy of all the dunder pit owners getting a head start on the microflora like that.. :ar!

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• ill pour some into my dunder and see how it goes.. :D

• edited May 2013

Hey you guys,,,,also don't forget that aging your rum beer before running can make for some really nice product as well. Very (incredibly) full flavored at 90-92 for the duration of the run.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Brought 22 L molasses and 44 L water to 85° C, let sit it overnight. Tomorrow I will rack it and put some DAP and Epsom salts in it. How much should I use of these, it is the first time i will use it. Before i put some panela for nutrients.

M.

• @moscca said: Brought 22 L molasses and 44 L water to 85° C, let sit it overnight. Tomorrow I will rack it and put some DAP and Epsom salts in it. How much should I use of these, it is the first time i will use it. Before i put some panela for nutrients.

M.

I will make a wash of 80 L

• Hey Smaug What sort of time frame are we talking on the aging? I have a spare 120 litre fermenter I could air lock and forget about in the corner of the shed.

• @what said: Hey Smaug What sort of time frame are we talking on the aging? I have a spare 120 litre fermenter I could air lock and forget about in the corner of the shed.

Perhaps a month or more. I rarely subscribe to exactitude. I take much more of " a pinch of this and a dolop of that" approach more often than not.

Slow and Steady has talked about running wine that was years old to make what he describes as "sublime" brandy.

• @Smaug said: Hey you guys,,,,also don't forget that aging your rum beer before running can make for some really nice product as well. Very (incredibly) full flavored at 90-92 for the duration of the run.

Is 2 days enough? I am getting the jones have not run in almost 3 weeks and my Panela is finished! It is going to be cooked tonight or in the morning,waiting for my brother Saftey first to show up for the holidays and we are going to have a first run of Panela to check out together! yeeehaaa!

It is what you make it!

• Do what you do Bent. Plenty of time for experimenting later.

• @Smaug said: Hey you guys,,,,also don't forget that aging your rum beer before running can make for some really nice product as well. Very (incredibly) full flavored at 90-92 for the duration of the run.

I hope this works OK. I set two batches aside as a long term test.

One fermentation was cleared and put in 6 gallon carboys and capped. That was in March 2010. The other fermentation I left in the fermenter, sitting on the yeast bed. That was started in Oct 2010.

Once the new still room is ready I intend to run these and compare to a fresh fermentation, to see if there is much difference. All of these are 1st generation with no added anything.

This is the result of clarfying my molasses today. What was on the bottem i put in 2 mason jars. A little bit less then 4 L. Part one of my project.

M.

clarify.JPG
    640 x 480 - 95K
  • Going to try this recipe tonight, sorry I cant remember what forum it is from, or the author. anyone tried adding dunder back to the spirit like this?

• oops helps to attach file

pdf
    pdf
    Buccaneer_Bobs_Silver_Gold_and_Black_Rum_Recipe.pdf
  • oeps.. sorry cleadius1 that i posted it in your thread. I tought i started a nwe thread but app not. The new outlay of this forum got me, I'll start a naw thread.

M.

• The author is Bucaneer Bob and it's posted in 100% Proven on Artisan Distiller. I'm pretty sure Mini has tried using dunder in spirits, i better go find him.

• @moscca said: oeps.. sorry cleadius1 that i posted it in your thread. I tought i started a nwe thread but app not. The new outlay of this forum got me, I'll start a naw thread.

M.

Not my thread moscca, this thread is for all things rum related :ar!

• Think it is going to be hard to follow then !!

• @moscca said: Think it is going to be hard to follow then !!

Don't hesitate to start your own thread. :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Moscca.......are you clarifying to reduce the calcium content and reduce plate maintenance or for another reason?

• No, was not thinking on that, but now that you mentioned it I will see if I get less deposit in the column. I read several times that it is better to get the unfermentables out of the ferment and that it will give a better product. So now i will see the difference. Although it will be difficult to tell this time, because I used dunder from my dunderpit I started 2 months ago. This time I had it not airtight and the smell was amazing ...of course molasses, but also pineapple and orange !

M.image

dunder.JPG
    640 x 480 - 113K
  • @Law_Of_Ohms said: LICK IT!

Oh Loo it would taste funny !!! i am super excited about this discussion

@moscca, it would be great to get an image of your dunder pit each month to see the visual difference as it matures and perhaps some flavour notes as you make your batches

• @moscca, yes, make it a "Dunder Pit Monthly" picture story.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• OK no dunder pit for me.... that fukn looks really really like puke...

• There's something about the whole Dunder pit thing that I like about making rum can't wait to give it a go

• Please, no monthly mold >:/ :-&

• If you could smell it FS, you would change your mind !!