StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

How Panela Cane Sugar is Made - Facility Tour in Colombia

This discussion was created from comments split from: The StillDragon User Group YouTube Channel.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

Comments

• edited May 2016

How Panela Cane Sugar is Made. Facility tour in Colombia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCCuRYLYfBY

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Great stuff mate. Really interesting. Would have been a great trip.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I felt home sick when I returned. Jason and his father-in-law where great hosts and I hope to return soon.

• Fantastic. I liked that a lot.
    So does the rum come out more like an agricole or somethings else again?

• What fits in pallet quantity? How much by the ton?

• 79 cents per pound by the ton.

• It's more than sugar for sure but it is not at all the same product.

• Can fit 4000 lbs on a pallet.

• And what % of that is fermentable?

• 78-80% sucrose

• Good shelf life and takes up far less space

• FOB Miami for shipping?

• @jacksonbrown said: Fantastic. I liked that a lot.
    So does the rum come out more like an agricole or somethings else again?

There are no grassy notes like you would find with an agricole.

• A light and floral rum is how I would describe

• edited May 2016

Can also blend with molasses BTW.

• @jacksonbrown said: Punkin?

No mate, but you are welcome to order from Larry.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• That would be some well traveled sugar.
    What would price per kg delivered end up with shipping?
    Assume +50 kgs?

Someone up FNQ must be doing this (not by hand obviosly)

• Very interesting

• Just go to the pub that is close , if you can not get her wet while lick8n cherry mmmm

• @grim said: FOB Miami for shipping?

Best way would be to take a 20' container. The 20 footer can hold 10 pallets.

• There is a darkside to panela production in Colombia. Most of the cane is cut manuaĺly by indentured peasants who barely make $400 a month. A truly fuedal system. And a lot them make it by burning old tires to heat the sugar. I lived in Medellin for two years and had to go out to the countryside a lot. Seeing these cosecheros cutting cane when it is 35 c and 90 %humidity with mules and hauling it up and down 40deg slope mud hills is a sobering sight. That being said aguardiente from medellin is great stuff. That town has the highest concentration of the hottest women on the planet. If you dont beleive me google paisas.

• Hi Don, There are no indentured peasants/servants on SugarDaddy's plantation. There ARE lovely aguardiente choices in Columbia and even lovelier woman,,,,everywhere.

• edited May 2016

Good to hear @Smaug. When I was working there I was on a mining project and we had to look at relocating some cosecheros and taking care of them. Its shocking how most of them are treated. But thats Colombia for you, full of incredible beauty and tough economic and social conditions. That panela is great in coffee as well.

• @Smaug Good vid and it would be nice to get some. Panela rapadure muscovado are all supposed to be the same but looking at their colour it is obvious it is not.

The FNQ( Far North Queensland for those that don't know ) muscovado Is really dark like it has additional molasses added and our local supermarket Sri Lankan rapadura is very light. Bought a bottle of cachaca from Brasil for my spirits library this week and in theory if you could get a reasonable amount of panela you should be able to give it a go so to speak.

• Color variety is often due to the amount of time spent on the heat.

Cachaca can not be made with panela in my opinion. Signature grassy notes of cachaca and/or rhum agricole are eliminated by the juice cooking process.

• Great video.

• I was going to say i did not know what rhum agricole was but i searched it then realised i have a few bottles of Canefire rum from Western Australia and figure that would probably qualify as rhum agricole. Yes you would not get the grassy notes from a brew from panela but still would be an interesting experiment.

• Cool video Larry. What did it smell like in the processing plant? Caramelly? A bit of fermented sugar aroma from the surroundings?

Sugar mills here used to stink to high heaven, but they were separating sugar from mole asses. (moles never wipe their butts, I guess)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @Kapea said: Cool video Larry. What did it smell like in the processing plant? Caramelly? A bit of fermented sugar aroma from the surroundings?

Sugar mills here used to stink to high heaven, but they were separating sugar from mole asses. (moles never wipe their butts, I guess)

Definitely a heavy sort of musky molasses smell. I don't find it offensive at all. With 38000 lbs on my floor now, my whole warehouse smells like a panela ramada.