StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Where to buy EC1118 Yeast in Australia?

OK, so were do I buy this? Can not find it at Coles today.

Tagged:

Comments

• Is this good for whiskeys ??

• I wouldn't use EC118 for whisky.

SAF do a whisky yeast, however you can also use an ale yeast to add additional flavour complexity such as nottingham

• edited April 2016

Thanks @crozdog, where I live getting your hands on some things like different yeasts has its challenges.

• @crozdog said: I wouldn't use EC118 for whisky.

SAF do a whisky yeast, however you can also use an ale yeast to add additional flavour complexity such as nottingham

Were do you get that will this be ok in the TPW too.

• edited April 2016

@AZZA1984 you are a couple of days late! (Shoulda been April 1st). EC118 at Coles. ROTFLMAO! As @punkin says, try eBay (like the rest of us in the boondocks).

Oh man I have edited this so many times to keep it polite!

If it aint half off, it aint on sale!

• EC1118 makes a nice whiskey.

I've found it to be a fast fermenter, excellent attenuation, very very clean.

• Well I am just going to have to give it ago. Thanks guys.

• A lot of people use bakers yeast for various washes. I have never been a fan of it, i'm prejudiced towards the products that are developed for fermenting the raw materials we use.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Malted said: AZZA1984 you are a couple of days late! (Shoulda been April 1st). EC118 at Coles. ROTFLMAO! As punkin says, try eBay (like the rest of us in the boondocks).

Oh man I have edited this so many times to keep it polite!

Oh sorry, I thought this was in the beginning post.

• If anyone wants EC1118 I am happy to pick it up from winequip and post it to anywhere for the cost of the stock and postage

its about $33 per 500g and I am happy to find out postage :)

• edited April 2016

If you've never played with yeast, I actually think EC1118 against Nottingham are a fantastic side-by-side comparison. On one side you have a very clean, unadulterated grain flavor showing through (low yeast contribution), on the other you have strong floral and fruit (high yeast contribution).

To push this comparison even further - ferment the EC1118 in the lower 70s, and ferment the Nottingham in the high 70s. Keep everything else identical if possible. This will keep the EC super clean, and push the Nottingham into strong ester territory. Just don't push too far, because you don't want the EC fermenting that much longer than the Nottingham - as the bacterial contribution will start to increase (late stage lacto, etc).

I would say this would probably be the single best yeast learning experience you will ever do. It will be that dramatic.

• edited April 2016

@grim said: If you've never played with yeast, I actually think EC1118 against Nottingham are a fantastic side-by-side comparison. On one side you have a very clean, unadulterated grain flavor showing through (low yeast contribution), on the other you have strong floral and fruit (high yeast contribution).

To push this comparison even further - ferment the EC1118 in the lower 70s, and ferment the Nottingham in the high 70s. Keep everything else identical if possible. This will keep the EC super clean, and push the Nottingham into strong ester territory. Just don't push too far, because you don't want the EC fermenting that much longer than the Nottingham - as the bacterial contribution will start to increase (late stage lacto, etc).

I would say this would probably be the single best yeast learning experience you will ever do. It will be that dramatic.

Sorry but I may seem dumb saying this but I get a little bit of that not the whole lot

• edited April 2016

@AZZA1984 sorry if I am telling you the bits you already get but I think he is saying that if you want to see how much of an impact yeast can have on the same beer then comparing the clean flavour from EC1118 vs the fruity ester impact of Nottingham (an ale yeast) is a good comparison.

Its all decisions I guess - what am I going to push and manipulate to make flavour combinations that work for me? All I have learnt so far is that there are so many possibilities in every variable of distilling that I am not going to get bored in a hurry

• @Clickeral said: If anyone wants EC1118 I am happy to pick it up from winequip and post it to anywhere for the cost of the stock and postage

500gm Express satchel is $10.55 anywhere in OZ. It will be a couple grams over due to the packaging which is ok if you have a good relationship with your local PO, but may be an issue if you get a retentive prick. Next size up is 3kg and it's $14.80 for express and you'll save $1.50 for regular (which is why i don't use the regulars).

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2016

@punkin said: blah blah postage rates

@Clickeral said: I will waste my time and post the shit to you, just because

It is certainly a generous offer by @Clickeral. Whata champ!

If it aint half off, it aint on sale!

• edited June 2016

@Clickeral said: If anyone wants EC1118 I am happy to pick it up from winequip and post it to anywhere for the cost of the stock and postage

I might just have to take you up on that offer @Clickeral. I'll send you a PM.

• @Maltycultural said: Count me in

Hey want to send me a pm, I can go pick some more up tomorrow, it works out to be about $50 per 500g which includes postage and covers my paypal fees

Breakdown is $33 500g EC1118 $10.55-$14.8 postage I just rounded it up to cover fees :) if the postage comes to more I will cover it

• Sorry just saw this. pm sent