Downslope Distilling Workshops

Downslope Distilling brings you the best classes available for small startup micro distilleries or just learn the fascinating art of distilling.

Two-day introductory course covers the beginnings of commercial distilling logistics from building codes to regulations through sales and distribution, which is followed by a hands-on workshop that covers commercial production from top to bottom.

Introduction to Distilling Day 1: Distillation

Pre-Production
Water quality, water testing, and pH adjustments
Grain mashes and sugar washes
Enzymes, yeast, and infusions
Record keeping and data management
Malting vs. cereal mashing
Temperature and time management
Distillation
Types of stills, columns, and infrastructure
Types of runs, stripping, and proof
Heads, hearts, and tails
Whiskey, gin, rum, and vodka runs
Post-Production
Filtration of vodkas and rums

Distilling Day 2: Logistics

Commercial Logistics
Facilities selection, building, and fire codes
Regulatory jurisdictions and Federal/State licensing
Local rules, self-distribution rights, and tasting rooms
Marketing
Developing a budget, pricing and promoting your spirits
Defining your market, reaching your market
On-premise and off-premise, promotions and product placement
Sales & Distribution
Supplier responsibility, distributor expectations
Distribution types, selection, forms, and channels
Contract, franchise, and control states
Infusion of vodkas and rum Introduction

Refund Policy: Due to the cost of having the class and the materials that we provide, we are unable to give refunds for any reason. We will however let you take the class at a later date as long as it’s within one year of the purchase date and notice is given at least 7 days prior to the original class date.

Workshop will be held at:

Downslope Distilling Inc.
6770 South Dawson Cr., Ste 400
Centennial CO 80112

Current Class Dates: April 16-17 and May 14-15, 2016

Classes are held every month

Cost of the two day workshop is: $525.00 includes all class materials

Please email mitchabate@aim.com or call 303-478-0228 for further info and update of class schedule

Comments

• Wow that is a massive amount of subjects to cover in 2 days. I gather you are just briefly outlining each subject, but wonder if you would be better to narrow the range of topics and drop into more depth on each topic, even if it means splitting the course into sections and doing 2 days per section.
    I don't think i could personally grasp the level of detail i'd need in such a time frame on so many complex topics.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I'd be willing to bet that Mitch is supplying enough reference (syllabus or otherwise) material that post class questions could be referenced.

I've heard good things about this course from multiple participants.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I took the three day course at Koval and it covered much of the same material. The third day was really a half day and most of that was a sensory panel (35+ samples in two hours was brutal). Koval's workshop was also 25% Kothe sales, some of which was subtle and some not so subtle. My takeaway was more along the lines of "These are the things that you need to get educated on if you open a distillery" rather than one of "You are now an expert having been educated on these topics". You can only expect so much in 3 days and $900 (at Koval). At $525, this class seems reasonable. Or you could spend at week at Moonshine University for $6500.

• However expects to be an expert after 2 days should be charged $1 mil ;)

Went to Koval as well and thought that it was a good bang for the buck. But you have to tailor the expectation to the field covered.

• @Unsensibel when did you go? I was at the December 2015 class. I think Jimbo from HD was at the same session.

• I did Koval as well, it's a decent class.

I agree with @knafs assessment - here are the things you need to go out and learn about - not that you walk out an expert in anything. You walk out knowing that you actually know less than you do.

• So 500 bux for a reality check?

• @Smaug said: So 500 bux for a reality check?

A reality check that could save you hundreds of thousands should you learn that it's not for you.

• @Unsensibel said: However expects to be an expert after 2 days should be charged $1 mil ;)

Went to Koval as well and thought that it was a good bang for the buck. But you have to tailor the expectation to the field covered.

You may want to read my post again mate. I did not say that i would expect to be an expert after taking this course, i offered up some personal views that I personally would have trouble grasping the level of detail i'd need on over 40 topics in 2 days and offered a constructive option on how it may be extended to more detail or grouped so people could concentrate on one or two of the 4-5 sides of the business and pair their knowledge deficit with the course outcomes.

I'm not some Erkel in the corner either, i am a qualified and experienced trainer with current Cert IV who is able to do course planning, deliver training and do independent assessment as well as assess course outcomes.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin no offense meant to your comment, ability, or poster.

My opinion is that there's so much ground to cover that even with a narrower scope you'd be still scratching the surface. What it did for me was to give plenty of thought starters of what needs to be covered.

@knafs went in January 2014 when I was trying to figure out if I want to go for it

• No worries at all mate. We definately need more of these courses and i'll support em anyway i can.
    There's only one short course in Aus to my knowledge and it ain't $500.

There is a real opportunity for someone here to fill that role in a few different states and if i wasn't as busy with SD as i am i would give some serious thought to it.

• Bringing up a old topic .

Any workshops going on ?

Always interested in the business side of it

• ADI is always a good outing.

In Denver this year.

• @Smaug said: ADI is always a good outing.

In Denver this year.

Thanks That sounds good

• sign up quick, and jump quickly at anything with Nancy Fraley or Corsair mentioned...