StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Aquavit Recipe

edited September 2015 in Cookbook

Ingredients

1 liter 90 proof hearts neutral  
2 teaspoons dill seeds  
4 teaspoons caraway seeds  
1 tablespoon coriander seed  
1 teaspoon fennel seed  
1 star anise  
2 whole cloves  
1 tablespoon dried Valencia orange peel  
1 cinnamon stick, 1-inch long  
1/8 teaspoon cumin powder  
1 oz Sherry  
4 ml glycerin  

Directions

• Add all ingredients except Sherry and glycerin into a container, and seal.
  • Place in a cool, dark location for 2 weeks, shaking every other day – sample for taste at 14 days.
  • When taste is suitable, filter out the solids with a paper coffee filter when transferring to a new container, let settle 24 hours, decant and filter again into the final bottle, add Sherry and glycerin.
  • In lieu of the Sherry addition, consider aging on sherry cask remnants for a month.

Many keep the bottle in the freezer, others encase the bottle in ice for presentation.
When indulging, raise your glass high and toast the trolls around you by saying "Skål"

Tagged:

Comments

• I can't believe that some SOB put his cigarette out in your bottle.

• Isn't that just like Gin but no Juniper berry?

• You might have that backwards :))

• edited September 2015

Isn't that just like juniper berry but no gin? Anyway I will be making a bottle next week. Thanks @Skaal.

• The dutch 'water of life' has juniper in it.

• Awesome!

Will give it a try.

@Mickiboi - great way to start the feud between the Norse, English and Dutch!!!

• Boys, boys, settle down... nothing wrong with territorial feuding. Think peace & love. It's a holiday drink. Yeah, well. Vikings and all...

• Can't wait for @Skaal to get a GB4 Gin Basket

• You're so right @CothermanDistilling, I saw the GB4 awhile back and the lightbulb went off above my head. I'm saving my allowance.
    I'll post a picture of the final product in 2 weeks so everyone can see the final hue.

• picture that custom sankey keg with an 8" TC top and the 2" Side TC that I have been asking for... now put in a folding false bottom and pack it with botanicals... a 15 gallon gin basket.... boom...

• I have a customer who has done just that. He is making tea tree oil on the North Coast here. The keg is inside his 200l drum boiler.

Pity, i don't have pictures of it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited September 2015

Day 15 - Final product hue... No more cigarette butt, but a little volume missing for QA purposes :D

Aquavit Day 15.jpg
    450 x 800 - 33K
  • Nice color. Impressions?

• edited September 2015

@FloridaCracker: Thanks, the flavors will meld in a couple of weeks to what I'm after; although, while still a little hot, I did enjoy a slug this evening. I've setteled down to these proportions after a number of runs and am tweaking very little anymore. I'm just about ready to go and mathmatecially figure out the botanical volumes needed for the GB4. Geez, I'm hooked.

Skål to all of you.

• Gotta admit that I find myself missing the cigarette butt a little bit......

• @Skaal, when you say "1 tablespoon dried Valencia orange peel " is this the whole peel with the pith still attached or just the zest? Also should we be crushing the various seeds or just throw them in whole? lastly I intend to make a couple of liters of this over the weekend (if all my ordered ingredients turn up), but as I have a GB4 am wondering if anyone has used one for this recipe, and if so what volumes were used? Cheers.

• @Gee - Zest only. I've been using whole seeds without crushing for my infusions. I've cut the star anise back over time also - Now only using two "wings" of the star per liter. Did experiment with mild toasting in the hopes of enhancing the flavor, that didn't do anything I could perceive. With your GB4, I'd definitely look at substituting raw ingredients where possible. I'm still eying the GB4 as my preferred approach...

• Ok, thanks for that. Unfortunately the ingredients didnt turn up yet,so it looks like next week now. Please keep us posted if you go down the GB$ route, I would be very interested in how you get on. Cheers!

• GeeGee
    edited March 2016

I bought a bottle of this, for comparisons sake. I like it, I've only had my maceration down for 6 days but already the flavour (sans sherry and glycerine) is quite a bit stronger than the bought stuff, which has a more noticable aniseed flavour, while mine has a strong corriander taste. Not at all unpleasant, just noticable. So I have filtered it and made another maceration, but this time halved the corriander and upped the star anise to one and a half stars. I guess its all down to personal tastes, I do like aniseed.....a lot :-)

Aquavit.jpg
    800 x 497 - 80K
  • Skål my friend, that's the luxury of our craft... satisfying oneself.

• The ones we drank in Malmo in Sweden were a clearer liquid and had a srig of herb and a couple seeds in the bottle from memory.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin, a little bit off topic, but one of the first things I made with the GB4 was your adapted Ouzo recipie. Bloody geat drop!! Nearly finished my last bottle so need to get my arse in gear and make more :-)

• Not my recipe, but it's a cracker thats for sure.

• Please send Ouzo recipe

• edited March 2016