StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

A small Commercially Distillery built in Sweden from scratch, adapted to Swedish Laws and Regulation

Comments

• Hi Lloyd, I agree with you to 100%, I “think” the same, but a rely don’t now this yet. But Kothe, Carls and some other big Germans manufactures is Only using this system with 1pc gigant bubbelcaps both for vodka, whisky and all flavored sprit in column with sections of 3pc to 25pc plates hight, and there plant is very expensive also so it is note that this system with 1pc big cap is cheaper that is important for them !!! remember Germans build Porsche, Mercedes, Audi and some more premium cars and also Opel…… I rely must test this solution with 1pc big bubble caps (a copy of Kothes, Carls ) and compare it with SD bubble caps plate with 18pc bubble caps and 1pc 22mm return pipe and also with 1pc 10% sieve plate with about 1770pc 1,5mm hole( 4mm pattern) and 1pc 7% sieve plate with about 1150pc 1,5mm hole( 5mm pattern) in them.. But this shall take some time before am up and running this test in both power need, easy to use, output per hour, and off course most important TASTE TRANSFER….. because a shall only test them in 8” and in 3pc hight configuration ( whisky), in my little 60Gallon insulated boiler with Sd modular ss column on top and with 4pc 5500watts electric heaters.

Cheers

• @moscca said: Would be drilling small holes at the lower end of the cap make up for the sawtooth pattern. I think it will be easier expecially with a giant cap.

Hi Moscca,

I think you can easy get flow restrictions when you choose to drill holes or it becomes too large flow and only a few of holes are used ....

The advantage of a low serrated pattern is that the more power you add, the lower is the bubbles in the pattern-liciud on the plate and where the nearest plate so this pattern has its maximum flow ....

I always want to make the bubbles "always" reach right down to the plate bottom so no fore shot remain for longer than necessary and infects the heart ...

Cheers

• edited August 2013

Update:

Here is now featured on an 8 "sieve plate with 5mm punch patterns and about 1150st 1.5mm hole to be punched out, it will be about 7% hole surface of the wet active flat surface - the column diameter.

The "aim" is that it should work good with about 16500 to 22 000watt to the column consists of 3-4 plates and sitting on the 60 gallon insulated boiler, we'll see ....

Here is a sketch of my plate - panels to reflux condenser in 12 "which will be entirely in copper and about 30cm high in water reflux part, otherwise similar to mine in 8"

Now all the sketches ready, as soon as it should be punched copper plate ....

image image image

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 576 - 34K
    2.jpg
    800 x 566 - 83K
    3.jpg
    800 x 555 - 54K
  • edited August 2013

4" 100mm sightglass with 4" ferrules conection... interesting ;-)

4.jpg
    348 x 348 - 13K
  • edited August 2013

Now the the stack of Malting barley grow significantly for the silo is already full, is only about 3-400 meters from my distillery ...

Cheers

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 61K
  • I think that a must try to make vodka from unmalted barley and se if this is good or winter wheat is better...

@RedDoorDistillery

I think that a need help with a "recipe" to be abel use this unmalted barley, can you help me with that!

Cheers

• Should be about the same as the Wheat recipe I use. You might get a little higher ABV out of it as I think Barley gives a little better yield per kg.

• edited August 2013

Now shall only wood lathe be complemented by a new fence with a number of holes in then (similar to that on the lathe on youtube) so it will be spinning. It will be interesting..... The template that I should press the lathes I from beechwood, easily and quickly done ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHvtieU4-7Y

Cheers

2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 99K
  • @RedDoorDistillery said: Should be about the same as the Wheat recipe I use. You might get a little higher ABV out of it as I think Barley gives a little better yield per kg.

Thanks, do you think that a can "copy" that recipe "straight of"...

Cheers

• edited August 2013

@harley said: 4" 100mm sightglass with 4" ferrules conection... interesting ;-)

@Lloyd, what do you think about this... and a 4" long ferrules, in pure copper to hard brass or weld, for big copper column....

Cheers

• @harley With unmalted Barley I would try the exact same process and amounts. You can then use that as a starting point and try to reduce or increase your kg of grain. My understanding is that Barley will yield a bit more than wheat so you might be able to lower your kg a bit and still get about the same ABV.

• @RedDoorDistillery said:

harley With unmalted Barley I would try the exact same process and amounts. You can then use that as a starting point and try to reduce or increase your kg of grain. My understanding is that Barley will yield a bit more than wheat so you might be able to lower your kg a bit and still get about the same ABV.

Thanks wery much

Cheers

• edited August 2013

Update:

7pc 1x2 meter 1.5mm copper plates are delivered to punch company here in Falköping, it goes in more copper plate than I thought

Now I get to have plates for a good while to come in various designs and in 8" and 12" sizes

Blank clamped for processing into an "counterhold" shape for pressure turning

Cheers

bild (234).JPG
    800 x 600 - 93K
  • I have 2 videos from the sight glass of a 1000L Kothe Vodka still (batch206) if they help any, looks like one big bubble 'dome' with the downcomer pouring gently onto the center.. the edges are fluted/wrinkled like a pie crust.. I did not really understand 100% what was going on then, but now I think I do... cannot attach here one is 15MB, the other is 82MB.. if I upload to youtube/facebook, they lose a lot of quality.. I cannot email them, if someone wants the higher def versions, and has a way, I am happy to share... here they are on facebook, taken back in March 2012

Video @ Facbook

Edited by Moonshine: First video link removed, as it was not working

• edited August 2013

Thank you so much for this. It is the same maker of this plate as the photo is in the beginning of this thread.

In your video, you will see clearly that refux liquid led by a stainless steel chute so it ends up on the opposite side of this flattening Relux input and runs a little off-center bolt on this giant bubbelcaps.

If you look to that first side in this tread then you can se that the plate there have a pipe instead of a ss plate-sheet that reflux licuid is going throu, and allso that reluxheight is lover on one side....

This solution is forcing them to have when they have all the control handle on the side of each plate because it means reflux inputs are directly below each other all the time too.

When you look really closely at the performance of the return pipe, you will see that reflux liquid must take the "left turns" to come into the return pipe is lower on the page ... interesting for this means that all reflux liquid must take an almost complete circle around the plate instead of a half-turn as it is normally with only 1st big giant bubbelcaps ...

Something else that I reflected on is that the center hole is so small for such a large plate and sit on a big boiler that it does .... But both is a Kothe plate and if you look on the Carls plate then this hole-center hole for steam is more than 2 time bigger....

Interesting solution...

Cheers

• edited August 2013

"We have been and visited Staffan Larsson Ronehamn. Staffan will deliver malt to Gotland Whisky. He has for over one and half years, tried various methods of smoking and malting. Now he has come up with a truly unique facility. Here, the most work done more or less automatically.

In a three-meter wide tanks with rotating arms and screws, the entire process is handled. It is a gedigt and very extensive work he has done. We are really looking forward to working with the malt Staffan will produce. His "maltrobott" is unique in its kind. "

This solution appeals to me because then you can both soaking, air and dry the grain in the same vessel, both with and without the addition of smoke from peat in hot air ... So this is what a shall try to build in next spring.... a malt robot ;-)

Gotland Whisky

Cheers

• edited August 2013

Updating.

Here you see the vessel from the back, side to the wall ....

Here you see the vessel from the front, all 6st electricity cartridges are completely at the back of the vessel so they are not visible from the front ... and is not in the way...

How does it look inside so far.

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 70K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 68K
  • edited August 2013

Update:

Todays work...

image image image

2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K
    1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 87K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 57K
  • edited August 2013

Update:

Then it was the pressure the shape of a giant bubbelcaps with a diameter of 120mm machined. Apparently, so is it also rounded on the top of that all liquid is drained it quickly and easily ...

This is version nr 1 ... next shall be to make som changing to my woodlathe so a can pressure a copper sheet around this model...

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 69K
  • @harley, I've seen some lathes for spinning metal onto forms and they look like wood lathes but they are very high torque. I'm not sure a regular wood turning lathe will have the power. If not, you may need to anneal the copper a few times during the process to soften it.
    Let us know your progress!

• You are absolutely right, checked this now and the engine is only about 600 watts so it will probably not be enough to pressure lathe with. I will put this up in the big old metal lathe instead where there is power in abundance.

Today we have the cone in stainless rolled - rolled so it will fit on the top of my rebuilt old milk tank, 45 degree angles on each side (for minimun reflux) into a 12 "clamps where the copper take over and taper to 4" 90 degree bend.

Although all of my copper plates, it went to about 10 sqm 1.5 mm copper plate should be ready punched by Arkivator here in Falköping

I'll see if I can get some photos of this what it suffers.

Cheers

• edited September 2013

Cone is rolled in 45 degres.

cone.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K
  • Nice job Harley !! I have to make also a cone from 210 to 76mm. The problem is i have no rolling machine, I have to do in under the bench press with some pipes.

• edited September 2013

Thanks,

It is this company that does everything for me, they are wery good but I actually have a manual winder with 50mm rollers my self, but their have motor and has 80mm rolls and much more powerful for ss sheet than my old 100cm hand-cranked, but to copper sheet and down to 50mm my is better... I do not know what the situation is in your countries, but in Sweden it has very many machine shops got bankrupt and there is a great range of used machines really cheap actually,,,

Cheers

• edited September 2013

Separate wastegate valve safety valve .... This would actually serve as Optimum Safety valve and can be set by spring changing to a suitable pressure of about 0.4 bar which I think is enough ... and the flow is very good if it would have to bail out ....

Wastegate 40mm HKS-style Modell 1

The question is whether the membrane itself are alcohol-resistant ...

Membran till 35/38mm wastegate HKS-style

Will check this what it suffers.

Fester, this is "made in kina"

Cheers

• edited September 2013

@Lloyd Fester his you must take a rely, rely good look on... Adjustable low pressure safety valve for the steam.

spring loaded safety valve with handle

Safety Valve Gallery @ Alibaba

Talk to then a think that this company can fix rely good low pressure relife safety valve to a good price, maybe...

Cheers

• Really want one that does vaccuum as well as pressure.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited September 2013

@harley said: Lloyd Fester his you must take a rely, rely good look on... Adjustable low pressure safety valve for the steam.

spring loaded safety valve with handle

Safety Valve Gallery @ Alibaba

Talk to then a think that this company can fix rely good low pressure relife safety valve to a good price, maybe...

Cheers

This adjustabel safety low pressurte valve is what a think shall be relly good and all boilers that are in EU reely -must have this.... but a personally allso want a manometer so you can read the pressure allso in "mphi" ore what scale it is in...

Punkin, this with "automatic" valve for vaccum realese, a havent se on any destillationsboiler in EU, even note on forsynths copper pot, but it must be good if you fogett to open the manhole.....

Cheers

• edited September 2013

Distillation apparatus blasts house one person injured

A residential building on Kvaløya in Norway is completely blown out after a home distillation apparatus exploded.

According to Verdens Gang came the alarm to the Norwegian police at 10:30 o'clock this morning and the damage is extensive.

A 30-year-old man who was in the house when the explosion has been transferred to the University Hospital of North Norway with serious injuries.

The explosion took place probably in the house's laundry room in the basement. The house one side is now completely ruined while insulation from escaping through the wall on the other side of the house.

Concrete Lumps from the house foundation and broken glass scattered around the house.

image image image

I say it again, Safety pressure valve connected to outside of house...

Cheers

1.jpg
    696 x 464 - 76K
    2.jpg
    696 x 398 - 81K
    3.jpg
    696 x 464 - 84K