StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Rum from Molasses

edited April 2015 in Recipes

Thought id started this thread here already! Anyway, have done the recipe from this page, did the bottom recipe. Turned out exceptional! Best rum I've ever done, smooth as silk and a flavor to die for! I did gen two today, and not as smooth but still beautiful.

I did a convert to small size as best I could...

8L water
 4L molasses
60g bakers yeast

I just added the water to molasses and pitched the yeast at about 35c.

From there I followed the recipe with the quantities I converted.

Hope it makes sense!

Tagged:

Comments

• Where did you get the jalap root?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Oh, forgot to add that, the jalap.root sounds like nasty stuff,google it, so for the "great violence part" I did a teaspoon of bi carb, just to try replicate the activness they we're saying. Seemed to work.well.

• @googe

Hey googe, Hows this rum recipe working out?? It must have a pretty strong molasses flavour with no sugar in the recipe?? Keen to hear how it worked out!!

Cheers

• Hey heef, it was always a beautiful rum, it wasn't a strong molasses flavor, i used fancy molasses. But now im in nz, there molasses is absolute shit!, tastes like a cross between cat piss and dog shit (don't ask how i know), and the fancy stuff is crazy expensive!!!. I've done this recipe with the shit molasses here, improved it a bit, but still shit. So I've been forced to use sugar again!. If you can bet fancy stuff cheap, give it a go, very nice stuff, low yield though.

• now that is some molasses

molasses.jpg
    800 x 434 - 71K
  • Hoo boy! Those guys need to buy by the tanker.

• Where is that? Makes my supply look anemic. As you can see, my molasses is different; collects to the right side of the tote instead of the bottom :))

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 61K
  • That's just how it looks after you fall down!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• That's Siesta Key (Drum Circle).

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Those guys at Siesta are on fire. What I wouldn't give to spend 48 hours in their distillery as a fly on the wall

• @FloridaCracker said: Where is that? Makes my supply look anemic. As you can see, my molasses is different; collects to the right side of the tote instead of the bottom :))

The way it really looks.

• @grim said: Hoo boy! Those guys need to buy by the tanker.

they do...

• Doing a step ferment using a really old recipe. It adds some raw sugar progressively, and they used yeast as well. It has gotton so active I can only add a few grams or it tries to get out. Really cool how it reacts. Did a ferment using bananas as the sugar source and just molasses. Bananas have a really cool smokey flavour when you ferment and distill them.

• Yeah it's Co2 escaping when you add the sugar. It's saturated in the ferment and the addition of nucleation points has it going mental.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand