StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Company Name

Hi all!

I am trying to figure out a suitable company name. I would like to call it Wifsta Distillery. Wifsta is the old spelling of the place where I live. But it's also very important it sounds good in English too.

What do you think about that? Does it work or does it sound awful. Is it possible to associate the name with something bad or funny? Another possible spelling is Vivsta.

Comments

• Did you already google it?

Did you look up possible domain names?

If it is the place where it is located, yes, of course it is o.k. when you use the name unless someone else has already a registered trademark of course.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• The domain name is available and I think it is possible to use Wifsta when it is attached to something else like in Wifsta Distillery. But does it work when you pronounce it in english?

• edited January 2016

Looking at it with an American English eye, it doesn't have any sort of meaning at all. It doesn't contain any kind of word root that points to a meaning either. The arrangement of letters and the pronunciation seem pretty foreign too.

Would it be pronounced WIFF-STAH?

It doesn't come off as being Danish or Nordic.

Could be good as you have free reign to set the meaning yourself, and not be accidentally associated with something negative.

You know, like the urban legend story about the Chevy Nova in Latin America.

• edited January 2016

I should say, most danish/nordic/scan culture in mainstream US is stereotyped as one of two things:

Design - Most americans are going to associate it with minimalist design, brutalism, clean/sleek. Many products in the US are marketed as having a kind of danish/nordic design. IKEA being the vehicle that made this very very mainstream here. But also brands like Bang and Olufsen and other Danish/Scandinavian furniture companies.

Vikings - well, needs no explanation really.

Most of the nordics that have emigrated to the US have managed to find probably the most inhospitably cold and miserable place in the united states and claimed it as their own (Minnesota).

All that said, "VIV" seems like a really interesting name.

• @grim said: Would it be pronounced WIFF-STAH?

Quite right pronunciation :) But with a long i like in the Scottish word wee.

@grim said: I should say, most danish/nordic/scan culture in mainstream US is stereotyped as one of two things:

Design - Most americans are going to associate it with minimalist design, brutalism, clean/sleek.

Vikings - well, needs no explanation really.

I was actually thinking of branding my rum after Nordic and viking mythology. Rum use to be associated by pirates and the viking were pirates too. And then I will have a very Nordic touch about it. I see that some rum brands are funny and playful, but I think I'll rather go for the more sleek and elegant style. But it will be brutal in a way too. I already have a vision in my mind. I'll think I am able to present it to you within a month.

@grim said: Most of the nordics that have emigrated to the US have managed to find probably the most inhospitably cold and miserable place in the united states and claimed it as their own (Minnesota).

Minnesota is resembling a lot of Sweden. I wonder though why they didn't want to go to some warmer place. I would! The winter is too long here!

@grim said: All that said, "VIV" seems like a really interesting name.

That is very good. I maybe go for that one instead :) Thanks a lot @grim!

• experiment with fonts that spread all or certain letters out, even if it is not noticeable, a few extra points of separation can subliminally help pronunciation by people without them having to think about it... something as simple as flash cards made with MS Paint that you show people for one second then ask them what it said and how it was spelled...

• I understand. Like that:

Wifsta.PNG
    236 x 148 - 6K
  • @grim said: All that said, "VIV" seems like a really interesting name.

Second that. VIV / Viv seems visually appealing and based on your example you can play around with names/brands/lines based of the first three letters...

• VîV

VìV

VíV

VïV

• edited January 2016

You could always say it is an acronym for some clever name or phrase, or somesuch...

"One wiff of our rum and you'll stay our customer forever!"

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• or my Wife's a Star

• The last days I have been talking to the new owner of this building. I have had my eyes on this factory for a long time, but it has not been possible to rent any part of it until now. They used to make paper here for a few years ago.

Look at the name along the wall. It says Wifsta Wharf Ltd. If I will get a place here the name is obvious :)

I like ViV because of the symmetry and the simplicity, but Wifsta feels more like home.

@Kapea and @crozdog. Thanks for the acronyms :) Not a bad idea to make a slogan.

Wifstavarfs fabrik.jpg
    800 x 537 - 48K
  • I think it's cool. :)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• And a distillery smells a WHOLE LOT better when operating than a pulp mill does!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• and you could literally ship your rum like the good ol days