SD Torpedo Question

edited January 2016 in Usage

Hey there guys,

About three years ago I bought the SD Torpedo pictured below and due to life's little things it was pushed back into a dark corner until the other day when I found it in some spare parts.

Hoping one of you can tell me what it's capable of delivering in terms of ABV (8% UJSSM wash) or possibly take off rate as well the correct way to run it.. Never ran a bubble cap plate before thus my question.

It will be under an 18 inch piece of copper packed 2 inch going to a shotgun on my 5500W keg.

Thanks guys !!

Comments

• Hi WVShiner, I think the largest benefit is that you will be able to make the system run a bit faster with out compromising your purity.

Mini installed several probes on his rig in order to track his systems behavior. The information was very insightful.

He published the info over on AD.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• His real time run graph illustrates how much cooler the middle and lower part of the column remain for a much longer period of time during the run. One assume this is what helps the top of the system do more precise distilling rather than have to cope with what is essentially un needed heat.

• edited January 2016

@Smaug said: I think the largest benefit is that you will be able to make the system run a bit faster with out compromising your purity. Mini installed several probes on his rig in order to track his systems behavior. The information was very insightful. He published the info over on AD.

Hi Larry, probes and tracking are honestly a bit above my pay grade at this time but as I'm a member @ AD I'll be glad to read Mini's thread.

Link to thread possibly ???

Thanks, buddy,WVS

• edited January 2016

I'll try and find it.

Maybe @punkin can help? He is a mod over there and knows his way around better.

• edited January 2016

The torpedo acts as a damper and stabilizes the flow of vapor through your column. But even better, it is a window inside, so you can see what's going on in there and react accordingly.

Be forewarned though. The torpedo is a gateway drug. It leads to bubble/pro cap plate obsession.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Sorry mate i don't recall the thread or what it may have been called.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I found a thread that talks about the differences but cant find the thread that illustrates with the diagram.

It may have been posted over on "modern". In which case it would have been deleted.

• edited January 2016

Here is one of the threads with bubble ball discussion. The Torpedo is the second generation/iteration of the original bubble ball btw. The performance is essentially identical.

• I've got some column mapping stuff on here somewhere.
    I have a 2" 500mm section with 7 sensors on it.
    It'll just give an ABV bump like adding another 5-10cm to a packed column.
    Because the plate physically holds a set volume of liquid they are just a lot more predictable.
    Packing performance will vary a lot depending how you run it because the liquid is just falling through it.

• edited January 2016

@Smaug said: Here is one of the threads with bubble ball discussion. The Torpedo is the second generation/iteration of the original bubble ball btw. The performance is essentially identical.

Thanks Larry, that thread opens into a few more threads as well as pics. Diggin; the coil inside the column in one of the pics which has me thinking about a baby dephlag or reversing my column and using the Torpedo as a sort of inline thumper. I remember your inline thumper build over at HD a couple of years ago.

Lots of reading to do today when it snows lololol

WVS

• It's making me crazy that I can't find the thread with Mini's graph.

Some early skeptics commented on the concept. So the data was particularly gratifying for me personally.

Could have sworn that discussion was on AD.