Pepper Vodka / Neutral

Pepper Vodka

• 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and quartered lengthwise
  • 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and quartered lengthwise
  • 1 red habanero chile, stemmed, seeded, and quartered lengthwise
  • One 750-ml vodka/neutral

Place the chiles in a large glass container, add the vodka/neutral, and cap tightly. Let stand at room temperature for 48 hours, shaking gently once or twice a day. Taste for the preferred flavor and heat intensity, allowing it to infuse for up to 2 more days if needed.

(Do not allow it to infuse any longer than 2 weeks, or a bitter flavor can develop)

Strain the infusion, cap tightly, label, and refrigerate (optional) until ready for use or to serve.

Makes a damn good Bloody Marys.

PepperCorn Vodka / Neutral

• 2 tablespoons peppercorns, lightly cracked (as coarse as possible and still be cracked)
  • 1 750ml vodka/neutral

Add the peppercorns to the vodka/neutral and allow to sit in a cool dark place for 7 days. Stir or gently shake to combine every few days. After 7 days, strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove the peppercorns. Bottle in glass with a lid and store in a cool dark place.

Depending on the peppercorns used the flavor varies but still can be used in a Bloody Mary recipe with good results... a different sipping flavor for vodka

Comments

• edited December 2015

Peppercorn infusion via GB4 rocks! Maserate post infusion if desired for heat.

Freshness of the peppercorns is important.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Still waiting for someone to do a Sczechuan peppercorn infusion.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• From what I see, szechuan peppercorn can be quite a variety of things. Do you have one that you are partial to?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited December 2015

The name hua jiao in a strict sense refers to the northern China peppercorn, Z. bungeanum, or at least that appears to be the common consensus in current scholarly literature.[5][6][7] However, hua jiao is also the generic term in commerce for all such viable spices harvested from the genus. This includes Z. simulans (Hance), identified by a taxonomical authorities as the yě huā jiāo (野花椒, "wild peppercorn"),[5][8] though elsewhere given as chuān jiāo (川椒, "Sichuan pepper"[9]), leading to the tendency to regard this as the bona fide "Sichuan pepper".

Seems wiki says there's a few but the main Chinese ones are above. I just get the pods by the kilo and they are labelled as szcechuan peppercorns.

sichuan_peppercorns.jpg
    800 x 601 - 80K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Ordered some z. simulans to research with from Monterey Bay.. the zanthoxylum Bungeanum is a bit harder to get... wiki calls it northern china peppercorn

wiki says the species of z. make a good bonsai tree!

They also had this come up under the search for zanthoxylum simulans at Monterey

Prickly ash bark - wild crafted - cut & sifted

• Per 1/4 POUND 1 $8.40
    • Per POUND 1 $21.00

Also known as Northern Prickly Ash, Szechuan Pepper, Yellow Wood and Toothache Tree, prickly ash is woody shrub in the citrus family native to eastern and central North America. While the soft, blond wood isn’t suitable as timber, the chopped bark is tinctured for topical use. Prickly ash bark was also an ingredient in the herbal bitters formula promoted by the 17th century American botanist, John Bartram.

• edited December 2015

Pepper tree - Schinus molle var. areira

We have these ones grown round here as street trees. I've always thought that the peppercorns look the same as the szcechuan ones i buy.

• edited December 2015

Peppercorns, Szechuan - 8 Oz @ Amazon

They are a bit cheaper here in Australia from the spice shops online if you buy bulk ~ $30-40 a kilo.