StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

What's in your Basket?

Comments

• @CothermanDistilling said: ...there is an 'iris' that they can close in case they need to fix a stuck botanical basket...

If you were to put a defleg upstream of the gin basket you could go 100% reflux (put your foot on the clutch) if you need to fiddle with the basket. Offset the defleg so it does not get any drips sucked back from the gin basket.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @CothermanDistilling said: Saying that, I am sticking with offset for the remainder of the botaicals because I like how it works, but I have to do large batches, and even 2 GB4's cannot do a 100L batch of gin, let alone a 380L batch, and that is what we need if I ever want to break into distribution where I will only make a buck or three per bottle.

No tasting room sales? Producer to consumer sales would seem to be the way to go if at all possible. The three tier system is a killer for craft distillers.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I'm in the same boat as you @CothermanDistilling , my botanical basket solution really needs to hold 5kg+. At that size bench mounted is looking like the solution.

• If you can draw it we can build it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• If you build it they will come

• edited November 2015

This full system is going into production within days.
    The "gin column" or the gin head alone will be available.

StillDragon_1000L_Bain-Marie_Distillery_with_Gin_Basket_Model.jpg
    681 x 800 - 121K

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Got the news yesterday @smaug, happy to see this going forward! I've been wanting to post the design for a while but wanted to wait for the "grand unvailing".

• edited November 2015

O shoot.....did I prematurely ejaculate? Sorry!

• With my offset gb4 running with a 8" 6plate, I was able to make 10gal of gin spirit using only a couple of ounces of juniper along with the other 5 ingredients in a single basket. I also pulled at high proof and slow rate when running, so I understand that our procedures will require different amounts. Though I agree that yes, less basket changes (if any) is desirable, I'm having a rough time comprehending the need for over even a pound of juniper, let alone a kilogram + for the amount you guys are making on a single run. Then you have the other botanicals to balance... you'd need a frigging gin TOTE for that.

I want to understand where these numbers are coming from, the other distilleries here are definitely not using those kinds of quantities for commercial production either. I think you all could be saving serious money by reevaluating this is all.

• @Smaug , that basket size is perfect. @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co , the basket size required all depends on how much if any of your botanicals you charge to the boiler.

Based on a typical range of 2%-8% botanicals to your ethanol content you can see that depending on the size of your boiler and the amount of ethanol you charged the mass of botanicals required can vary greatly.

• We around here ( I can speak for at least 3 distilleries) aren't macerating anything so nothing into the kettle. One guy using using his kothe does but we don't talk much.

Larry decided the 12"x~20" basket would be best for a commercial production size basket (I completely agree), the intent being relying solely on vapour infusion. I requested the return for the "juice" because of the amount produced just by the gb4. There is now the option of redistilling the juice then and there or separating. That juice will put that flavour right back into the charge (essentially inline maceration) but there will be balancing to be done and probably different botanical ratios vs a straight vapour infusion once the system is dialed in.

I have complete faith that will be able to do everything with the basket and not macerate, which apparently costs an arm and a leg when compared to vapour infusion. It will more than likely require more than a simple scale up to compensate for batch size and vapour speed, but I doubt it will require the quantities that a maceration apparently does. Hopefully let you all know in few months :)

• @Smaug said: This full system is going into production within days.

Is the plate section glass or steel? 12"?

What is the size of the pot?

• @jbierling, 1000L copper top 12" steel, pro caps all the way. Left side designed to run as a traditional copper eau de vie pot and can be directed to any one or a combo of of the column, basket or straight to the 8" condenser. Dephleg and lyne arms are all copper too. Can't wait for this to show up

• edited November 2015

@Smaug can you share pricing with me? I don't need all the copper though unless it's cheaper.

@Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: 12" steel

Well done. 12" glass makes me nervous.

• Hi Joel, I'll get that to you as ASAP.

• Joel would you like to see that with a 6" or an 8" PC?

• @Smaug said: O shoot.....did I prematurely ejaculate? Sorry!

she's a beaut, I understand =))

Glad people are interested in the design, not gonna lie pretty damn proud of it as you should too

• @Smaug said: Joel would you like to see that with a 6" or an 8" PC?

Pricing for both?

• Coming with an all glass manway for good measure

@jbierling 3500 and 5000 if I remember correctly

• @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co , so stoked for you mate, this is a real thing of beauty. Can't wait to see the pics. Copper and stainless is very artful.

• Purty!

So in theory, the same boiler could also do a 16 plate divided vodka column?

• Thank you @TheMechWarrior mech, stoked as well. @Unsensibel, yep! The guys have designs specifically for this called the "space saver" models. Left side can be a whiskey hat or short column and the right is the rectifying column with 10+ plates. The new 6" height of the tees combined with the boiler concept makes vodka very achievable in limited space in 2 runs

• Looks great.

looks like you could also use the basket as a thumper if you wanted to.

• @Unsensibel said: Purty!

So in theory, the same boiler could also do a 16 plate divided vodka column?

+1 killdevil.

The first iteration when we first started spit balling this kettle concept was a pair of 10 platers on either side of the kettle.

Then we started thinking about off setting the plate count in order to play more toward the whiskey production complimenting the vodka production.

What you see here is Luke's idea for the minimal to no reflux at all for a more classic aeu de vie inspired pot head and then the column.

• We have increased the wall thickness to 5 mm to cope with the added weight.

Typically a 1000L kettle has a 3 mm wall thickness.

• @croz, I'll be doing a ton of R&D for the guys, this is definitely something I could at least try being the size that it is. Never used a thumper so need to get myself learned on the subject more

• Did I already say that was sexy?

Why the two bypass lines? One from the 12" cap on the boiler and the second from the base of the plated column? It would be really interesting if that second bypass tube on the column was located say, 3 plates up. :)

• Can you say that again differently? I can't see how you mean?

• Oh the left side (no column) - there is a vapor pipe heading up - on the right side, at the base of the column, you have another vapor pipe heading up - why two?