StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

What's in your Basket?

Comments

• Just put some crispy slices in the finished product. THAT should carry over :D

• This is why I steep with the above procedure. Everything going except crunch. It's one of the main attractions at sd baconfest. Rarely get bad comments

• I guess they're mostly going for phenols.
    Seasoning afterwards is a good idea. I'd add a touch of caramel too.

• the aroma of the bacon cooking could be harnessed by frying in a pressure cooker and piped into the gin basket? might look backwoods, but I can almost guarantee the smell of frying bacon would be in your spirit and possibly could keep it from being cloudy by keeping at 90 proof or above

• edited October 2015

Just do it and see how it turns out. No amount of supposition will figure it out.

I love hoppy beers. I figured hoppy beer whiskey would be good. It turns out it tastes like shit (IMHO). Who would have seen that coming?

That's the beauty of the GB4. It opens up a whole realm of possibilties.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I make a cinnamon vodka that is a big hit with my friends. Cassia bark and licorice root in the gin basket. The licorice adds a perception of sweetness, but no anise-like flavor. Very smooth. Dangerously delicious. Easy to drink too much.

• edited October 2015

@Kapea said: I make a cinnamon vodka that is a big hit with my friends. Cassia bark and licorice root in the gin basket. The licorice adds a perception of sweetness, but no anise-like flavor. Very smooth. Dangerously delicious. Easy to drink too much.

What quantities ?

• edited October 2015

In the 59L propane fired boiler:
    650mL 3X azeotrope
    2500mL filtered rainwater

In the GB4:
    1.5g cassia bark
    0.5g licorice root

Yield:
    1000mL 100proof

• @Kapea said: I love hoppy beers. I figured hoppy beer whiskey would be good. It turns out it tastes like shit (IMHO). Who would have seen that coming?

Hi, did you distil a hoppy beer or did u put hops in the GB4 basket & vapour infuse neutral through it??

I know corsair sells a couple of whiskeys made with different hops, but can't remember his process.

• Distilled hopped beer (an IPA, an APA, and a Münchener Helles).

• I haven't tried it but I have heard that the bitterness that comes through from distilling hopped beer isn't pleasant.

That said, search "bierschnapps"

Might be worth trying with only flavour & aroma additions or pop the hops in the GB4.

• Hops in the gin basket work nicely in small amounts, our gin uses chinook. Hops in beer work differently because they are essentially boiled up, extracting all elements of the flower. When it's distilled all those different elements concentrate into what I recall as a sour off-smelling grass note instead of a nice aromatic. A friend of mine here does a lightly hopped pale for his brewery and started distilling and barreling. Came out pretty nice cos the beer itself is fairly more balanced to begin with

• I am guessing the barrel tempers the hops...

• @Kapea said: In the 59L propane fired boiler:
    650mL 3X azeotrope
    2500mL filtered rainwater

In the GB4:
    1.5g cassia bark
    0.5g licorice root

Yield:
    1000mL 100proof

Saturday night while having the distillery semi-open for I blended some single 10g/L extractions with vodka at and put in at 1.5 and .5 g/L, the licorice root I had to double to make it balanced and 1.5g/l seemed too strong of an earthy flavor... botanicals from monterey bay spice co. licorice root was 'cut and sifted'..

• edited November 2015

I'm glad you found Monterey Bay. They are first rate!

We are using the same botanicals, but very different infusion methods. My hydrosols drip into the bottom of my GB4, not back into the boiler. The hydrosols I drain from the bottom of my GB4 after a run is complete are very vegetal in aroma and flavor. (drains around 140mL of hydrosol from the infusion run described above)

The cassia bark I get from MBSC is very strong. I had to cut the dose in half numeous times in my gin recipes to get it to play nice with the other botanicals in the mix. You only need a poofteenth... ;)

• Wasn't long till you got to use your new word.

I didn't think i'd ever get to use my last new word, pandiculating, but it didn't take long and i get to use it all the time.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Sounds like something kinky you would do with kitchen utensils... :-O

• I don't think I would want my wife pandiculating me!

• I caught my wife pandiculating just this morning.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited November 2015

Feels good to pandiculate after I masticate. :D

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @CothermanDistilling said: I don't think I would want my wife pandiculating me!

Don't knock it till you've tried it! :))

• @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: In my opinion, everything's game in a gin basket if you are willing to clean up the mess haha. Your cranberries should be fine. Try whole first and if it isn't coming through, half them. A little messy but they will definitely come through. I've had fantastic results with fruit flesh as opposed to just using dry peel. I'm trying dragon fruit tomorrow cos why the hell not?

Just finally getting to my cranberry run. I fermented out about 10 gallons of cranberries, 30 lbs sugar, 2 lbs raisins, and DADY yeast in a 30 gallon drum. I ran 3 plates and then threw about half a basket filled with course chopped cranberries on top. Wowza - this GB4 is a cool toy! This stuff is gooooood - even at 175 proof. Going to air for a few days and maybe put half on oak for good measure.

Next up... genever

• Sounds wonderful @jasper :D We've had an astonishingly long summer here in San Diego, autumn weather has only just arrived and I noticed some prickly pears ripening in the local canyons so I'm pretty set on trying that out

• edited November 2015

It sounds good alright. Wonder if you could do a Jaffa infusion? Orange/choc is my favorite flavour combination in the world. I would adore a refined light infusion of that.

• Maybe a sweet wash through cocoa nib and orange peel... I have a feeling actual chocolate may not work out so well. Guess I could give it quick try and let you know, I have both in house

• Cocoa nib or carob would be my choice. Carob may work well, they grow them as street trees here and i've always meant to try the beans.

• Well I know what not to put in my basket ever again. I was going for the whole bacon thing again and wanted to try it in the basket instead of infusing. So I put a little bacon fat in the boiler and some fried up bacon in the basket and let 'er rip. The results were horrible. The smell of the spirit was like old frying oil. You could taste some bacon but you couldn't get past the grease smell. epic fail. I am still trying to clean the grease out of all the components i used. The bacon in the basket tasted good afterwards no joke.

• Using straight fat is where you went wrong, only need the actual cooked bacon. You'll still have some geese to clean but nowhere near the amount you probably had to deal with, and no burn smell if you bake the bacon first then press off excess grease with a paper towel. When using the basket technique, you get the flavours with just the meat. then I'd steep with bacon to get the oils into the spirit to get a true bacon taste/mouthfeel. It's definitely something up for debate and experiment, that's what makes it fun to me

• Chocolate rum.... in a 13 gallon rum SPIRIT RUN add 2 Cups of cocoa to the boiler SPIRIT RUN as normal ... and you will be very surprised at the results....

This was a Minime recipe... he also added a cup of coffee in some of his chocolate rum runs.... for a varied flavor...

• Any worries about doing that with immersion elements @FullySilenced