DIY Controller Kit Wiring

I've recently purchased the DIY controller kit from the EU site. Anyone have inspirational photos or suggestions to share regarding this kit?

Over on the beer forums I've seen a lot of talk about heat build up unless some cooling holes are made in the case. True? I'm simultaneously building a brewing system for beer that has three SSR's that run three 220V 5500W elements. I will add a screen and PC cooling fan to that build to assist in sorting out the heat. I've added a 10" x 6" heatsink that houses the SSR's also.

We'll give this one a run with the top off to dissipate heat at first and take some temp readings.

Cheers, Rebel

Comments

• edited October 2015

The drilled holes in the box should be a requisite. Have you not seen the wiring diagram instructional?

Found on this thread: The StillDragon Operation Manuals

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Plenty of info readily available:

Tag Search on diy controller

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited November 2015

For your beer build check out The Electric Brewery

Also good as reference for building the DIY kit.

• I put a computer fan on the bottom underneath the SSR pulling air out and drilled 4 big holes (1/2") on the opposite side. Keeps a nice airflow over the parts that get hot and did it for about $3.

• @Unsensibel said: For your beer build check out The Electric Brewery

Also good as reference for building the DIY kit.

Thanks for the info. I'm a member on Kal's site and have a build thread there. He's got some great info on the more complex systems....very helpful fella also.

Cheers, Rebel

• @FloridaCracker said: I put a computer fan on the bottom underneath the SSR pulling air out and drilled 4 big holes (1/2") on the opposite side. Keeps a nice airflow over the parts that get hot and did it for about $3.

I was thinking of doing the same. I haven't received my package from Still Dragon to check out all the pieces and tidbits. I was curious about the voltage for the rheostat....the SSR's I have currently are 24v.

• @Smaug said: The drilled holes in the box should be a requisite. Have you not seen the wiring diagram instructional?

Found on this thread: The StillDragon Operation Manuals

Perfect. That's what I was looking for. For some reason I hadn't located it until you posted this link.

Cheers, Rebel

• @Rebel01 said: I was thinking of doing the same. I haven't received my package from Still Dragon to check out all the pieces and tidbits. I was curious about the voltage for the rheostat....the SSR's I have currently are 24v.

It is a potentiometer, not a rheostat, it is rated for power dissipation, typically a watt or around that, voltage not really an issue. Perhaps a larger issue is to make sure you know that this is no ordinary SSR, it has electronics inside that do PWM (actually a phase angle controller) and manage the duty cycle with just the potentiometer connected to the two terminals... 99% of all other SSR's require DC voltage or 3-32V to turn them on, this one does not get voltage, just the potentiometer!

here is a link to a datasheet of a similar item:
    PSR-25 Power Control Module (PDF)

• edited November 2015

@CothermanDistilling said: PSR-25 Power Control Module (PDF)

Right on! Thanks for the pdf file--very helpful info. My mistake on the potent versus rheostat. I received the package and am already working on upgrading some stuff. The box will be used for a different purpose (yeast stir plate). The heatsink was upgraded and I am working on adding electronics for circuit protection and cooling fans.

I chopped up a metal computer case and added DIN rails, case ground and some cooling copper tubing handles.

I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Cheers, Rebel01