StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Introducing The StillDragon Electric Parrot

Comments

• edited October 2015

I've been looking for a reasonably priced ttb-accepted unit for almost a year now. I've heard rumors that they used to come up every once in a while from the lab surplus dealers, but I haven't seen a reasonable one come up, and the unreasonable ones don't sell (yeah, really, $5000 for your broken meter sounds like a great deal).

• edited October 2015

There is an older Mettler Paar DMA3000 for $490 out of South Korea. It's an older unit, but looks to be in pretty nice shape. I think 1 less digit display than the DMA 35, but the same accuracy/repeatability.

Digital Density Meter PARR DMA 3000 @ eBay

• @CothermanDistilling said: it is a density meter, density is not mass-flow, it is mass-volume

but flow is just volume over time.
    You don't believe me do you =))

Is your jigger a vibrating U design? Measuring resonant frequencies? If so it is just a very simplified version of what that mass flow meter is doing.

The down side is you won't get one for $750 and it would need some work to set up properly.

• Different U-tube... trust me!

if you can set up Coriolis to do alcohol density to .02%, i will eat my words...

• I calibrated coriolis meters that measured diesel fuel consumption on caterpillar engines when in the test cell... they measure mass flow, which can be converted to mass-volume, but they do not measure mass/volume...

• @CothermanDistilling said: if you can set up Coriolis to do alcohol density to .02%, i will eat my words...

Fund it and I'll happily oblige :D

• FIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkx8MTCT4s

Maybe the bulk fuel loading ones are a bit simpler but the first step with all these is measuring the resonant frequency of the tube. Exactly the same just the Coriolis does a heap more after that first step.
    Pulling SG and temp out is no biggy. What you do after that is a bit more complicated.
    Your new toy is going to work of the shelf with no stuffing around.
    Is it for real-time or samples?

• I see those weird pentagon mass flow meters/transmitters come up at surplus auctions all the time.

• Coriolis was great for measuring kilograms/hour of diesel flow to the gram, which was critical when the gov't required us to pull an engine out of on-site storage after 5 years and it had to come in within a percent or so of HP and efficiency (HP/kg) of fuel...

• I've seen them used in many applications for a whole host of reasons.
    Sometime as flow meters for non-conductive fluids but usually for continuous density measurement in blending operations like milk standardisers.
    Anyone in Australia would know about the dreaded Permeate.

• @grim if you see them cheap grab 'em, they are bloody expensive to buy new.

• @grim said: Hah I was looking at that one

got it, it works, about a half a proof off at 80Proof from a sample I have of what I measured when I bottled 13 cases yesterday, so good enough to save a bunch of time until final proofing when removing the certified hydros from the vault.

• @jacksonbrown said: Anyone in Australia would know about the dreaded Permeate.

???

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited November 2015

It was a massive media beat up that the local sheep here lapped up.
    There was little or no information or fact behind any of it but that rarely maters in Oz.
    What is Permeate-Free Milk?

• edited November 2015

I bet it is not long before permeate-free becomes the favorite airy-fairy feel-good buzzphrase of the month in the States too.

Milk is highly regulated in the States. You can be sent to prison and your livestock confiscated for selling raw milk. One dodge of the law flower children here use is to own a share of a dairy cow. That way they can have their share of raw milk without actually buying the milk.

In reverse osmosis (a type of membrane filtration with tighter membranes than ultrafiltration) water desalination, permeate is the product water. Concentrate is the name for the waste stream. Continuous monitoring of the purity of the permeate is measured with electro conductivity

• I think my wife brought this home the other day, it's very weird from a textural perspective

• We use the term retentate here rather than concentrate. It all just fancy filtering.

• edited November 2015

Interesting. I've been working with membranes for 25 years and have not heard it called that before. I'm guessing the portion that is held back by the membrane is the desired end product.

In college we referred to the concentrate as rejectate. Concentrate has become the common way to refer to it now. Same with scale inhibitor and antiscalant. Two names for the same stuff. Antiscalant won.

Fancy filtering indeed - on a molecular scale.

(pun intended)

• @Kapea said: Interesting. I've been working with membranes for 25 years and have not heard it called that before. I'm guessing the portion that is held back by the membrane is the desired end product.
    It depends on the customer.

20 years ago we use to think the retentate was the product and the permeate was the pain in the arse byproduct you had to get rid of.
    These days with a focus on value adding, the permeate can have a similar if not greater value than the retentate thanks to very high value components like sphingomyelin (~$30k/tonne at that time).

DCP or de-calcium phosphorylation is another technique employed to extract milk minerals essential for nutrition and value adding while at the same time prolonging the run times and performance of permeate evaporators.

In the absence of high end value adding the milk permeate can be added directly back to the milk, with the solids from the 80's waste product now being converted to the full value of the final milk powder product. This can be thousands of dollars per tonne.

• Some of the bottled water plants here draw water from 1000m down in the ocean, run it through RO (down to 700ppm TDS), then add some of the concentrate back to the permeate (up to 1,200ppm TDS), and sell it for$35/L. It's supposed to have some kind of special mana because the water has been at the bottom of the ocean for the last 10,000 years, or some such nonsense.

They sell the pure concentrate to a select few customers. I've been told drinking a small dose of the concentrate acts as a cleanser (read: it makes you shit like a racehorse).

• eparrot long from sale?

• Our parrot builder is on deployment mate and will be back in a couple of months i'm afraid. They will be available very shortly after that. The parts are ordered and design is finalised, they just need assembly.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Ok fair enough, I will keep an eye out.

• Watched the latest Booze traveler last night on New Zealand.... Highly suggest watching... dude had a 'sonar' parrot....

Start is at 28:00, parrot shown briefly and mentioned at 29:00, but whole episode is good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5ggqrYGdA

• Coth - how is your electric parrot doing? Worth the coin?

• My used DMA35 is worth every penny.. extremely happy... need to research the RFID/data capability, but no time

I think someone needs to push the TTB to approve these for either small distilleries or small volume measurements of less than 100 proof-gal or so...

• I loved it..."Here's to blokes who do shit in their own sheds..."

• Thinking thats all of us FS. Its just the shit we do that varies.

• edited December 2015

Fucking hell, of course you can put semen in beer. But why fucking would you?

I bet this is where the Reinheitsgebot came from.

'Hey Hans, zere iz zome fuckkopf in Bavaria iz putting the stagsproggen in ze lager!'

'Dumbfucken! Just make ze law so all the fuckkopfs can only put ze barley, wasser, and hops in ze beer. That'll fuckem.'

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand