StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

kW required for 200L Stainless Kettle with no Agitation?

Hi guys, I'm starting a poitín distillery in Ireland. I have a stainless steel pot and I'm going to put a still dragon column on top. I'm thinking 3-4 plates and going from mash to spirit in one run.

I calculated that I need 20kW+ to heat the wash up quickly (within 2 hours from 20°C to 78°C)? Is this too much?

The wash is clear so no grain will be in it.

Cheers,

Pádraic

Comments

• daddad
    edited October 2015

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Thanks very much. Anyone know if I could mount 3x 5500KW elements in a pot with a diameter of 610mm. The elements are approximately 370mm in length. Would I lose heating efficiency if I were to mount an element say 20- 30mm above the first two?

• edited October 2015

@pogriallais said: Thanks very much. Anyone know if I could mount 3x 5500KW elements in a pot with a diameter of 610mm. The elements are approximately 370mm in length. Would I lose heating efficiency if I were to mount an element say 20- 30mm above the first two?

You would be fine as long as the highest element is not the primary. You will not need all 3 for the run. Only 3 for rapid heat up.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited October 2015

You can get much bigger elements in the UK on the same size bosses, and can also get them in tri clamp bosses - specially made for the brewing industry.

Brewery Heaters @ Industrial Electric Elements

• Smaug, Myles. Really appreciate the information.

• I recently purchased a 120L Pot Belly Kettle and 4" column for my first foray into distilling. I would appreciate any recommendations as to where I can purchase heating elements for the kettle and a controlling mechanism. Also would appreciate any information on reasonably priced circulating pumps for water.

• Heating elements can be purchased at your local hardware store for about $17-$20.

Did you purchase our Element Guard Kits with your kettle?

Basic on/off switches can be used for two of the elements and our DIY controller kit can be used for precision control during the run.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Got my ULD 5500W from Amazon for about $30.

• How many elements are required for the 120L pot still? What wattage do you recommend. Is the thread size on the element standard so that they are compatible w/ your element guards.

• Where abouts in the worls are you? The element guards are 1" BSP so any element with a compatible thread will fit. The standard 120l units have 3 element ports. If you work out 80 watts a litre will give you a one hour heat up time then thats 3200 watts x 3. If you are happy with a longer or require a shorter heat up time then work from there.
    As far as the actual run it will depend on the still and whether it's Pro or regular cap for power requirements.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand