StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Whats in your Glass?

Comments

• edited October 2015

Received this as a thank you. It's my first scotch other than JW which I can't stand. I quite like this smokey smooth. If this is real scotch I'm hooked.

johnboy.jpg
    600 x 800 - 49K
  • edited October 2015

@Kid has got me learning how to drink scotch these past 6 or 8 months. I like it better than bourbon I think.

Enjoy.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Funny I went the other direction. Scotch was it for years. Now, given a choice, good bourbon most every time.

And my scotch preference has shifted to those which are much closer to bourbon in character. Balvenie Doublewood for example.

• Funny how our tastes change. I drank bourbon for years. Then Crown Royal. Now I haven't had any whiskey in months, just rum.

• I prefer good dark rum, and bourbon but this is another feather not an every day choice but is quite nice very smooth can't decide if I like the peatiness or not

• After one or two,,,,the peat gets more tolerable :))

• edited October 2015

Yeah it's the peat that gets me too, even in my scotch days I would avoid the heavy peat.

Don't get me started on IPA either, the last year or two has been an arms race of IBU and I just can't deal with it. Worse than cilantro. What's the point of a beer you have to psych yourself up to be able to get down? Worse than the lemon in the beer trend, bleghshghthgh. Shanty my arse.

• I made a Martini for my first ever taste. Rinsed some crushed ice in vermouth, tossed the vermouth, poured in the Tanqueray 10 and added half a mint leaf.

What a waste of good gin. Hard to believe it's possible to ruin a nice drink with half a mint leaf or with a hint of vermouth (i liked the vermouth alone). I think i'm now with Hichcock on the martini recipe.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited October 2015

My martini recipe:

Gin, rocks, jigger. Shake, pour. Open vermouth bottle, gently waft the open bottle top over the martini glass, being careful not to actually pour a drop. If that isn't enough, rinse the glass and dump.

Serve.

• I drank my entire lifetime allotment of bourbon in one weekend. I haven't been able to stand even the smell of it ever since. Single malt scotch I'll drink when offered. I like the peat.

@grim said: My martini recipe:

Gin, rocks, jigger. Shake, pour. Open vermouth bottle, gently waft the open bottle top over the martini glass, being careful not to actually pour a drop. If that isn't enough, rinse the glass and dump.

Serve.

That's a bit heavy-handed on the vermouth for my taste. I whisper "vermouth" over my martini glass. Sometimes even that is too much.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I love rums but at the top of my list is whiskey.
    Those with a lot of wheat and heaps of rye in the mash bill especially.
    Makers mark or there was a Wild Turkey that was an over proof, Rye.
    That was my go to before it came off the shelf here. Not so much the peated stuff although I do appreciate it.
    It’s funny how a fault can evolve into a feature in its’ own right over time.

• Best beer at bottlo's right now is James Squire Hop Thief =D>

• Got a fridge full of it :D
    Very similar to the bright ale.

• @punkin said: I made a Martini for my first ever taste. Rinsed some crushed ice in vermouth, tossed the vermouth, poured in the Tanqueray 10 and added half a mint leaf.

What a waste of good gin. Hard to believe it's possible to ruin a nice drink with half a mint leaf or with a hint of vermouth (i liked the vermouth alone). I think i'm now with Hichcock on the martini recipe.

Never use Cinzano for your vermouth, it is absolute garbage. I could never understand a martini until I was given one with Noilly Pratt as the vermouth. A martini then made sense and now I drink them quite often with 2 stuffed olives on a toothpick. Lovely. =D>

• @Kapea said: I drank my entire lifetime allotment of bourbon in one weekend. I haven't been able to stand even the smell of it ever since.

There was a college incident involving a liter of plastic bottled "gin", it took me 10 years to be able to drink gin again.

• I know quite a few friends from high school and college who still can't stand the smell of JD because of a bad time with it. Probably the smell of it when mixed with stomach acids was the deal-breaker.

• edited October 2015

All great examples of something called the "Garcia Effect" aka taste aversion.

From Wikipedia:

Conditioned taste aversion occurs when an animal associates the taste of a certain food with symptoms caused by a toxic, spoiled, or poisonous substance. Generally, taste aversion is developed after ingestion of food that causes nausea, sickness, or vomiting. The ability to develop a taste aversion is considered an adaptive trait or survival mechanism that trains the body to avoid poisonous substances (e.g., poisonous berries) before they can cause harm. The association reduces the probability of consuming the same substance (or something that tastes similar) in the future, thus avoiding further poisoning. It is an example of classical conditioning or Pavlovian conditioning.

Studies on conditioned taste aversion which involved irradiating rats were conducted in the 1950s by Dr. John Garcia,[1] leading to it sometimes being called the Garcia effect.

Conditioned taste aversion sometimes occurs when sickness was merely coincidental and not related to the substance that caused the sickness. For example, a person who becomes very sick after consuming vodka-and-orange-juice cocktails may then become averse to the taste of orange juice, even though the sickness was caused by the over-consumption of alcohol. Under these circumstances, conditioned taste aversion is sometimes known as the "Sauce-Bearnaise Syndrome", a term coined by Seligman and Hager.[2]

• Professor :)

• Bulleit Rye. Working on some ryes and single malt Viennas here. Coming out nicely so far

• edited October 2015

@vooharmy said: Best beer at bottlo's right now is James Squire Hop Thief =D>

You guys have really got to get out more often :-B

Couple of yesti arvo's brews....

ipa.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Working on a bloody marry made with bacon fat infused spirit. Really good although I wasn't able to get the spirit back crystal clear.

• Sounds like one of those Canadian things with freshly squeezed seafood in it.
    Who thought that was a good idea?!?

• @popcorn how hard did you cook the bacon before it hit the basket

• Haven't tried that method yet @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co has experience doing it in the basket. I've only used the fat left in the pan and poured it into some neutral. works well with the overall flavor. Put it in the freezer after proofing it to you liken and pour it through the solidified fat a day or so later, method I learned from AD. Problem I have is the clear isn't clear anymore and that makes for poor presentation

• edited November 2015

Rum :D

rondel_barrilito.jpg
    600 x 1067 - 78K
  • edited November 2015

Rum from the small barrel quite literally.

How is it/was it?

• Yup, oaky, smoky, vanilla,.....but I make some that'sbetter, IMHO :P

• Corse yuh doo.:)

• Five month old AG corn base aged with maple dominoes, water and a couple of ice cubes. This stuff will be the shizzle in a year...

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Gday fellas, its been a while, Ive been flat out like a one armed bricklayer. Im drinking Taliskers 10yr single malt and just cracked a bottle of lagavulins 16yr SM. MMMMMM love a nice peaty Single mult