StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

### IT IS HERE ### The StillDragon® Rum Distillery ###

The first ### StillDragon® Rum Distilleries ### have arrived in the USA!

Get them while they are still hot!

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

Comments

• edited October 2015

coconut.jpg
    600 x 800 - 67K

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited October 2015

It is here.

it is here.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K

• Hot damn that is one sexy rum machine

• I want it.

• There really isn't anyone making a honest rum rig except you guys, right? I've never seen anything even close out of Europe or elsewhere.

• @grim said: There really isn't anyone making a honest rum rig except you guys, right? I've never seen anything even close out of Europe or elsewhere.

Me neither Grim. That was the whole point of putting this one together and also incorporating some bells and whistles to help compete against the more efficient plated systems.

I'll say it again. Pot stillers (IMO) should be looking to exploit the inefficiencies of their equipment if a more complex spirit is the intended goal.......IMO.

• I so want to make rum with this machine

• where is that toy going anyway? buyer public?

• edited October 2015

One is definitely going to Tampa area. The other seems on the fence due to the anti China sentiment? But they haven't seen the system up close either!

We will invite them to come and critique the system.

I on the other hand have seen several of the other more well known systems first hand. And can confidently say that these welds look fantastic.

• edited October 2015

Soon as I get all of my sweaty,dirty, disgusting finger prints off of the thing I'll post some better, up close pics.

• It's for sale. Buy it. You know you want to.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: It's for sale. Buy it. You know you want to.

Tell ya what,,,when I open my distillery, this is the way I'm going.

• edited October 2015

Anti-China? What, like Germany is any better nowadays? Can't trust them anymore.

• @grim said: Anti-China? What, like Germany is any better nowadays? Can't trust them anymore.

There is this perception that can be persistent I suppose?

The interesting thing is that the lead partner seems well interested. The "silent" partners seem to be the skeptical ones.

Interestingly, I am staring at a proposal for a "German" system that features a $78,000.00 kettle with a 4 mm copper wall thickness. The 78k is for the kettle only. And a 750 kettle at that!

The SD Kettle features a 5 mm wall thickness and the entire system can be purchased for nearly half of the cost of the German kettle.

• That is nice. How about more pic?

• I will Bill. But we sweated all over the thing putting it together in 98 degree heat. Let me get the smudges off of everything and take some nice pics.

• Looks very nice wanna explain how it all works?? Still new and learning things and stuff.

• Thump thump thump thump

• edited October 2015

The Big Bad THUMPER Is Back! Thump It Up, Babe! Thump Me Home, Honey!

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited October 2015

So the inspiration for the system comes from a traditional Jamaican styled rum maker.

But this particular type of system is intended for a relatively specific type of spirit.

stillclassicwretorts.jpg
    800 x 573 - 77K

• edited October 2015

We wanted to make sure that we could also appeal to those that where looking for a true pot stilled product but not just Caribbean style rum. And also have some flexibility in order to more easily create more profiles. This is why we added the by-pass valves on the manifold. We wanted whiskey makers to look at this system also.

With the valves it is no problem to divert vapor straight to the product condenser for a dedicated stripping run. Also, either retort (thumper) could be by-passed. Botanicals could be used in the second retort (for example) for gin production with no worries of contaminating the primary kettle with post botanical funk.

• edited October 2015

Harry's explanation and chart on the original rum maker thread explains the process nicely.

Rum Maker Presentation09302015.jpg
    800 x 638 - 109K

• edited October 2015

The high and low wines primer tubes are pretty superfluous. But the primer tubes do offer a way to prepare the system for a subsequent spirit run with out having to actually handle high/low wines multiple times by hand or with pumps.

For example:

With all vapor manifold valves pointed toward PC.

Step 1) Heat the primary kettle. Divert foreshot straight to collection vessel for disposal
    Step 2) Divert/send high wines ratio to charge retort # 2
    Step 3) Divert/send heart section/seconds to collection vessel
    Step 4) Divert/send low wines ratio  to retort # 1

Each kettle is equipped with an accommodation for a spray ball so that the appropriate amount of water can be easily added to each retort charge. At this point the system is ready for the forthcoming spirit run.

• Freaking awesome

• Can we get it in a hobby size

• @popcorn said: Can we get it in a hobby size

Simply let us know your desired kettle sizes and we can certainly get a quote put together for you.

• one milkcan and 2 stockpots :))

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area