StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• edited September 2015

All your shots look great. We eat a lot of beetroot here, all home grown and pickled my Bourbon Girl. We supply family and friends with it year round.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited September 2015

Just about ready for harvesting :)

Mountain duck

Underground mutton

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 73K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 63K
    3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 65K
  • Salamis look good, we are eating the first of mine that was airdried atm too. It's fantastic.
    Are they sopressa?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Nup, isn't sopressa meant to 'pressed' with flat sides? I do have an excellent Italian recipe with whole white peppercorns in that you'd probably like.
    They look good but from memory that batch wasn't great. I thought I'd have a go at using Nandos as an easy flavor base.
    The idea wasn't a winner.
    The vinegar took over and killed the good bugs. You'll notice, no mold issues though :) I think for most styles I settled on a reduction in weigh between 35%, for soft to 40%, which was ideal.
    Is that what you aim for?

• Punking, tha missus instantly recognized the Willow Blue plate. She has a a ton of them, she asked if it is a true Churchill one?

• edited September 2015

Cheapies from the Chinese supermarket i think mate.

Although i have recorded weight JB, i don't really refer to it. I prefer to go on feel as i've found it's more accurate?
    Yours look like the exact same casings i use, fibrous 55mm?

• Collagen lined fibrous from memory. I think around 55mm.
    I started using a lot more of the cacciatore size after that. They're a bit quicker and more forgiving.
    The bigger ones tended to get the ring of leather on them. If I ever finish the drying chamber I'd go back to big fat ones.

• edited September 2015

@punkin said: Cheapies from the Chinese supermarket i think mate.

Just doing the wiping up and they may be something more? Says Johnson made in Oz.

plate.jpg
    800 x 600 - 33K

• Beautiful food pics!

Can open this thread only after eating...

• edited September 2015

@Unsensibel said: Beautiful food pics!

Can open this thread only after eating...

100%!!!

Just an observation, the missus often watches those cooking shows as do I. The chefs frequently refer to "restaurant quality" food as they evaluate each dish as it were.

I say BS! Home cooked food prepared with heart and soul trumps 99.9% of any restaurant.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited September 2015

I have not had anything to eat since yesterday and l open this thread! U picks, my guts are rumbling now, open the fridge door and NOTHING that even looks at all appealing except a block of cheap tasty cheese.

Take away tonight lm guessing.

• edited September 2015

Any old stubbies in there? Any stale bread lying around?

Welsh rarebit @ Wikipedia

• Flour in the cupboard and yeast in the shed, sounds like homemade pizza night.

• edited September 2015

Shepherds' pie here tonight.

+1 on "restaurant quality" at home. To my mind the main attraction of restaurants is not having to spend the time doing it yourself. Busy times leave me with less time in the kitchen than I would like. As often as not when I eat out I think, "this is good, but I can do it better." When it is better than mine I use it as inspiration to up my game.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• It's a cost thing for me. I can't afford to eat the food of a standard that i'd like to and that's why i learned to cook. Most places we go to lunch or dinner is pub grub and it either comes out of a freezer or is fairly basic. I can certainly cook better than most of the meals we eat out, but we don't tend to go to nice restaurants much.
    I like my time cooking like i enjoy my time brewing or distilling. It's not a chore to me, it's a pleasure, so if it takes an extra hour to fuck around and make something from scratch it's an hour more enjoyment to me.
    The reward is to put something special in front of family and friends, have the grandkids get all excited when i vist cause they know i'll cook for them and have the order of requests sorted before i even get there. :))

The thing is that we have really good meals pretty much 9 nights in 10, even if it's chops and vegies we are eating either home raised animals or good quality cuts from a good butcher most times.

• @punkin said: image

You guys have me curious as to what kind of dinnerware that we use so I looked on the bottom. Can't make anything out. Maybe someone can identify where this was manufactured.

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 39K
  • Aw..FC...I recognized it immediately. Toxin laced bleached white paper goods from the North American White Piney Forest. Actual manufacturer not of great import!

We often have those at my place. However...I did find some plastic, I mean melamine, salad bowls I like a lot at a restaurant supply for a $1 each. They are somewhere between a plate and a bowl. Much harder to spill!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• edited September 2015

Use them non washable ones lots too as we eat outside a lot. We have a big under cover area. Whenever we have guests at breakfast it's usually cooked on the BBQ (aussie for grill). And a lot of evening meals are cooked or served out there as well.

• I had a feeling that they maybe weren't real china. No label on the bottom. I don't even think that they are cheap knock-offs. Must have gotten ripped off.

• @FloridaCracker said: I had a feeling that they maybe weren't real china. No label on the bottom. I don't even think that they are cheap knock-offs. Must have gotten ripped off.

:)) .........suckeeerrr.

• A mate donated a rack of meaty marinaded lamb ribs off his farm that he pressure cooked. I'll be grilling these and serving with green apple risotto. Looking forward to it.

• Hey Punkin, I converted my still into a huge sous vide a few times.
    Have you had a go at that?
    I did a whole silverside once that was fantastic. Really good for beef short rib too. Char them up on the BBQ afterwards and dump a shit load of chimichurri on 'em.

• I have all the bits for a keg sous vide, the pump and the false bottom and have had all the fittings welded to my BOP but my aversion to the texture of slow cooked food has stopped me from hooking it all up.

• @punkin said: Yeah, on the lounge for 3 hours before bed :))

If i couldn't find time to whip up a sauce and boil some rice in the rice cooker there'd be something wrong.

Looks and sounds good. What is your recipe for the black bean and black pepper sauce with chilli oil.

Ed

• Sorry mate i don't use a recipe, i just cook as i go along for that one.

Crush some fermented black beans lightly in the mortar and leave some whole, fry some sliced onions with some chopped garlic very lightly in 1/2 chilli oil and 1/2 sesame oil, and add the black beans stir and add some chicken stock, soy sauce crushed black pepper etc. Thicken with a little cornflour/water mix.

• @punkin said: Sorry mate i don't use a recipe, i just cook as i go along for that one.

Crush some fermented black beans lightly in the mortar and leave some whole, fry some sliced onions with some chopped garlic very lightly in 1/2 chilli oil and 1/2 sesame oil, and add the black beans stir and add some chicken stock, soy sauce crushed black pepper etc. Thicken with a little cornflour/water mix.

Recipe.

• From memory. I drink.

• edited September 2015

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 90K
  • Fuck, where do you get okra from in Oz? I assume you grow it for some reason?

• Best fried off with chill, garlic and monkey vag :) One of the benefits of not living in a cultural wasteland I guess.
    It's pretty easy to source in Melb (in season).
    Tried to go out for pho for lunch today and was sorely disappointed. Every second shop in Victoria street can sort you out but getting a good one in Brisbane is no easy feat. My bbq duck cravings still haven't resided either. We have found an OK Sichuan joint though.