StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• I use MBL all the time for sausage ingredients. I'll use lacto if i'm not happy with the results, but i am not a fan of the flavour and it should generate naturally anyway.

FC the starter is various cultures (right up your alley) most of them being lacto's but usually a combination of three or four bugs. Glucose or lactose is used for food for them and they are introduced to make an acidic environment that is unfriendly for some of their more dangerous cousins. Modern sausage making always uses cure 2 for dried sausage so it's kinda a belts and braces thing.

It was a big day yesterday, starting about 7.30 and finishing about 2 (not including the second cleanup). We broke down the pig into whole muscles and minced first and then calculated cure per weight of each muscle, mixed and vac packed one at a time. These will sit for three weeks or so.

We did all the loin as Lonzino, a stack of small leg cullatello's, 4 big pancettas and some coppas. The rest went into mince and we ended up with about twenty kilos of heritage mince we will be stuffing today.

Plan is for a smoked air dried german salami, some 50/50 beef and pork pepperoni sticks, some slim jim style pork and beef sticks, some soppressa and both girls have put firm orders in for fresh Pork. Apple and bourbon snags which i haven't made for a while. I'll be cold smoking tomorrow as well as have the offset out to do the ribs and some beef ribs.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Punkin, if you weren't so far away, I would offer to send you some of my live dunder for your sausage. Just imagine the flavors!

• edited September 2015

pigcuring4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited September 2015

It's a good feeling eh?

I think this was my first endeavor into air dried.

IMG_3454.JPG
    800 x 600 - 52K
  • Anyone ever tried to make vegetarian marshmallows (= without gelatin)?

The wifey is vegetarian and Halloween is coming up. Thinking about red wine and limoncello infused marshmallows...

• What happens if you over work an Italian meringue then roll quenelles of it on corn flour?

• Why not just substitute agar? Do they have to be heated?

• edited September 2015

Had a google and if shes one of those egg eating style vego's then this will work apparently.

Adventures in Vegetarian Marshmallow Making

Daves Rims @ StillDragon Australia

• Did the agar sub but it's not seeing up. I think that I messed up the temps as agar needs to be really hot to activate and I followed a gelatin recipe.

Eggs are up next - spare egg yolks will go very well in a tiramisu. That way I have a back up if I f up the marshmallows again...

• Home made Pork, Apple and Bourbon sausages from the heritage pig. Mash, honey carrots and the first of the new season asparagus from the garden.
    Bacon Jam.

Fuck.

Yeah.

• edited September 2015

Seafood truck comes into town from over the coast 4-5 hours drive on Thursdays here. Not very often we can get good fresh local seafood at a reasonable price and today was a good day.

Trawler Trash and Chips for tea tonight :D

Little whiting fillets frozen and some fresh squid that is so good their eyes look alive.
    Crumbing the fish and Chilli Salt And Lime Pepper for the squid.

Bit of home made tartare to top it off.

MMMmmDeepFriedGoodnessPunkin

fish.jpg
    800 x 600 - 78K

• Lovley, love fresh squid. I remember getting calamari into the restaurant one time that was so fresh the colors were still flashing as I was cleaning them.

• edited September 2015

Chicken Pot Pie

chicken_pot_pie.jpg
    800 x 527 - 46K
  • edited September 2015

Garden Pizza

garden_pizza.jpg
    600 x 800 - 101K
  • edited September 2015

Blueberry Muffin French Toast

blueberry_muffin_french_toast.jpg
    800 x 501 - 45K
  • edited September 2015

Smoked Salmon

smoked_salmon.jpg
    582 x 800 - 118K
  • edited September 2015

Smoked Salmon spread

smoked_salmon_spread_1.jpg
    800 x 693 - 65K
    smoked_salmon_spread_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K
  • edited September 2015

Fresh Trout with Tarragon, Garlic and Lemon...and butter of course

fresh_trout.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
  • edited September 2015

Backyard grilling

backyard_grilling_1.jpg
    800 x 533 - 118K
    backyard_grilling_2.jpg
    800 x 533 - 100K
  • edited September 2015

Pulled Pork with Coleslaw

pulled_pork.jpg
    800 x 591 - 55K
  • edited September 2015

Pork Chops!

pork_chops.jpg
    600 x 800 - 52K
  • edited September 2015

Fresh Garden Veggies

fresh_garden_veggies.jpg
    800 x 548 - 96K
  • edited September 2015

Grillin' Chicken

grillin_chicken.jpg
    800 x 600 - 106K
  • edited September 2015

Challah Rolls

challah_rolls.jpg
    800 x 600 - 118K
  • edited September 2015

Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce, steamed Spinach and Jasmine Rice

chicken_satay.jpg
    800 x 533 - 93K
  • edited September 2015

Cold Sesame Noodle Salad

cold_sesame_noodle_salad.jpg
    800 x 533 - 53K
  • edited September 2015

Jeez you are a hungry boy! all that in one meal? Your photography and food styling is excellent and really at a professional level.

I don't care about the photos so much as i care about the food :x

She likes salad, hates squid and likes potato cakes;

I'm a salad dodger. I ended up going with Chipoltle Mayonnaise instead of Tatare

fish4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K
    fish3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 94K
    fish2.jpg
    900 x 675 - 221K

• I would devour your last photo set Punkin! I love salads (hold the beets) and seafood. I like to relive great food moments when I have no possibility to leave the office to grab a bite...gluttony for food and punishment, I guess.