StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• edited August 2015

@jacksonbrown said: I'll probably have some rabbits next time I stop by if you like.

I'll swap ya some carp for the rabbits or some pidgeons if you like :ar!

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @FloridaCracker said: :-O

And I thought it is sheep down under...

• That's a bit further 'down under' than us :))
    I don't need carp and I'll be eating any pigeons I manage 'aux petit pois' with big fat chunks of Kaiserfleisch, thank you.
    Have you ever tried Hungarian Fisherman's stew.
    I used to go to goulash comps and sample everything in sight! Can be fantastic with Lángos and copious amounts of beer. I'd recommend a small carp out of very clean water. Bleed it well and cut off all skin before cooking.
    You seem to have a thing for caraway, I usually put a bit in mine.

• We tried cooking carp one time. Took a fillet off one about 3 or 4 kilo and then tried to bone it. I've never seen a fish with that many bones. My mate knows his way around a fish, as i do i, but we ended up with three bits the size of a fish finger and they were still full of bones. One bite he took and spat it out was enough to convince me.
    He's a real garbage guts and ate an esky full of Long Toms once, so if it comes from the water and he won't eat it, i wasn't tasting it either.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• You'll never get the bones out. They're not like a normal fish, they actually 'branch' out through the flesh.
    My next challenge in catching one one fly.

• I'm thinking about a cold pellet / chip smoker to hook up to the 6 burner bbq. Want to do ribs, chook, wings, pulled pork, ham, bacon, cheese etc.

Anyone recommend needed gear eg syringe, temp probes etc? I am also wondering if anyone has recommendations for a unit eg smokai or have plans to build one?

• SD smoke generator? B-)
    I started building one a few years ago with an old aquarium pump I had lying around but never finished it.
    Keen to hear any advice too. I've also got a half read copy of this too, these guys are good for reference stuff. I have a few of their books.

• edited August 2015

Wild Boar Cold Smoker

Mate of mine, tell him punkin sent ya and you want a discount to evaluate one :))

Don't them oak staves look familiar?

• That is a pretty cool doo-dad! @punkin

I have a slightly lager version with 5 racks in the chamber ;-)

The Cookshack Super Smoker® Model SM050

Someday I will get around to piping the top center outlet to a cold chamber... did some pork butts last weekend with 4-roses oak barrel head chunks... oaky, oaky, oaky....

SM055.jpg
    200 x 200 - 5K
  • edited August 2015

Yes, i also have a 5 shelf one but i built it myself. It has control of the temperature in the smoke box via a hotplate with dial, control of the temp in the remote hotplate for generating the smoke and control of the fan in the smoke box via a switch. This one is V3
    The fan was in the floor originally, it's now in the middle back of the smoke box and is a stronger exhaust fan. I only use this for jerky when i make it.

There is a switch for the fan installed since the construction

Fire box is in the bottom section.

It'll cold smoke at about 15C above ambient, i don't do much true cold smoking although i cold smoked some salami a couple weeks ago before putting it up for air drying, i mostly use it for hams, bacon, smoked chicken, sausage and jerky. All those things except the jerky are brought up to 69C internal or greater over a day or more.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
    2.jpg
    800 x 601 - 64K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 100K
    5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K
    6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 165K

• My Mouth is Watering looks Good !!

• edited August 2015

Allgäuer Käsespätzle

allgaeuer_kaesespaetzle.jpg
    800 x 600 - 81K
  • Looks like comfort food. Will you explain please.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Spätzle are traditional swabian noodles made from scratch.

Then layered with Emmentaler cheese in a casserole and topped off with breadcrumbs into the oven. Final touch is to cover it with caramelized onions.

In essence is my grams version of mac and cheese...

• Satay chicken skewers marinating now for the bbq tonight. The'll be combined with the evil hot peanut sauce i just made with 3 types of chilli including Naga Dorset.

I'll be eating the sauce alone, just haven't broke the news yet.

• Pork spare ribs marinaded in spicy BBQ sauce with bacon dust, mash sweet potato and boiled veges.

• edited September 2015

Uuni 2 - Wood-Fired Oven for Pizza and Beyond

2 min wood fired pizzas in a tabletop oven that takes ten minutes to heat up?

Sounds pretty good.

• Looks interesting....

I already have a set-up for my grill, otherwise I would look into

• edited September 2015

Used the Chinese BBQ Pork (Char Sui) recipe to marinade a split short beaked pelican for 24 hours and then pumped the marinade in an hour before sitting it in the oven.

Came up really nice and enough leftovers to do Spring Rolls for dinner tonight.

Chopped in the real chinese style to make sure that every bite had at least one bone in it =))

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 97K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 75K

• edited September 2015

Egg battered spring rolls made with left overs. Leftover jasmine rice fried in chilli oil with strips of chinese style egg and crispy bacon and peas. Then added to parboiled carrot and celery, some fresh cabbage and left over chinese chicken with some herbs from the garden and some sauce.

Wrapped, dipped in flour then egg and deep fried.

Top stuff and the leftovers grow and grow.

springrll.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K

• edited September 2015

Yum yum yummy
    Lots of left overs.
    60 people and couldn't finish the 275lb pig

20150905_155435.jpg
    800 x 450 - 56K
  • edited September 2015

Pork chops on the barbie with home made bacon, home grown shitakes and some onion.

porkchop.jpg
    800 x 600 - 120K

• edited September 2015

Pan seared scallops, black bean and black pepper sauce with chilli oil, jasmine boiled rice with star anise and ginger. All home made. I'll try to get a pic if i remember.

Bourbon Girl doesn't like most seafood so is having processed deep fried Sweet Chilli Chicken tender strips in a wrap :))

• Where do you find the time? Only 24 hours in a day @Punkin. You only get about 3 hours of sleep don't you

• edited September 2015

Yeah, on the lounge for 3 hours before bed :))

If i couldn't find time to whip up a sauce and boil some rice in the rice cooker there'd be something wrong.

scallops.jpg
    800 x 600 - 59K

• On the flipside a mate is due shortly with the 100kg dressed Large Black pig we killed and skinned on Tuesday. We'll be cutting it up and going halves today. The whole thing will go to chacuterie and sausage/salami. I'm really looking forward to trying air dried heritage free range pork versus the commercial stuff i've been using.

Some things are worth putting the time aside for.

• I've got some pretty good salami recipes if you want try them.
    Have you got any starter?

• I haven't used starter up to this point. I have a few recipes but would love to look yours over if you could email them.

• Sure, I'll send them through later this morning.
    There's a butcher supplies Adelaide called mblsa. You should get some SPX starter from them, it'll make all the difference.

• For those of us who don't make sausage, what is a starter?