StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Hello from the UK

Hi Guys!

I wanted to introduce myself; I am just entering into the wonderful world of distilling. I am looking to turn profesional and start my own business producing Gin in the UK.

If there are any experienced Uk producers please get in touch I would love to rack your brains!

This looks like an increadibly informative forum, I have learnt so much just in the 12hours I have been a member, thank you in advance for all future knowledge!

I would also like to contact any Uk based people who currently use a still dragon product to get some feedback.

bakert

Comments

• Welcome @Bakert, have fun in our midst, there is a lot going on here, and even more to come!

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Welcome Bakert.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Welcome @Bakert

You'll find this to be a very open and inclusive community with an incredibly diverse member base.

I'd encourage you to keep reading and searching the forums, a true wealth of information at your fingertips.

Cheers,

Mech.

• Hello and welcome!

Gin is a really interesting field, there is much room for modern interpretation. Making unique and tasty Gin is almost like an art.

:x

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited September 2015

It's definitely an art, and pushing the subjective limits of the definition of "gin" is where the market is.

Notable products are at the margin, not in the mainstream.

I posit that whoever can make gin "cool" stands to gain tremendously in the market. That's the biggest issue I see. Not that there aren't great products, there are, but the general perception still stands that gin is an old man's drink. That's holding gin back, not the product quality, and that's not just a mainstream opinion.

IMHO - I think the bridge is bluring the lines between vodka and gin (not much of a line anyway, really). That's why I think some of the less juniper-forward products are really starting to see popularity. I think it's going to be all about citrus and mild/light floral and vegetable flavors (cucumber, etc etc etc).

My 2 cents have been known to be overpriced for what you get.

• Apologies if you are an old man... :)

• @grim said: It's definitely an art, and pushing the subjective limits of the definition of "gin" is where the market is.

Notable products are at the margin, not in the mainstream.

I posit that whoever can make gin "cool" stands to gain tremendously in the market. That's the biggest issue I see. Not that there aren't great products, there are, but the general perception still stands that gin is an old man's drink. That's holding gin back, not the product quality, and that's not just a mainstream opinion.

IMHO - I think the bridge is bluring the lines between vodka and gin (not much of a line anyway, really). That's why I think some of the less juniper-forward products are really starting to see popularity. I think it's going to be all about citrus and mild/light floral and vegetable flavors (cucumber, etc etc etc).

My 2 cents have been known to be overpriced for what you get.

Agree'd.

at least here in the states it seems that is the trend.

The more well balanced gins that are not so juniper forward are doing very well at the judging competitions. These spirits are delightful to drink on their own. And the barrel aged gins are very good too.

But the more delicate notes on the well balanced gin can be easily masked with "cocktail" ingredients. The juniper forward gins don't get lost nearly as easily when paired.

Gin on the rocks has become a treat to look forward to compared to the old days of drinking grand dad's hair spray.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Welcome @Bakert, this is the best possible place to find out how our equipment is used all around the globe. The addiction has begun! ;)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Thank you everyone for the welcomes. I have already found answers to every beginners' questions I could think off! Haha @grim thanks! I'm 25 years young (26 tomorrow!) - hopefully ill gain some knowledge beyond my years as my endeavours unfold, which I look forward to sharing here and hopefully making some future useful contributions.

Must to a shout out thanks to @crozdog as a amateur gin distiller your manual has been a priceless guide! Incredibly valuable information thank you.

• Yeppers Croz has done some wonderful work with our manuals. We owe him a big debt of gratitude.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• glad you are finding them useful @Bakert. I did enjoy putting them together - just giving something back to the distilling community as I have picked up a lot from others over the years.

@punkin, we must try & get together for a drink some time. Let me know if you are ever heading down to Sydney.

• Central coast is the closest i come mate. Moved away nearly thirty years ago now. I'd love to have a beer with you though.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Welcome @Bakert. I'm just over the border from you in Hampshire and will be taking ownership of a Still Dragon in the next few weeks for our expanding distillery. Happy to help in any way I can.