StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Whats in your Glass?

Comments

• This one is very hard to describe and as a general rule I can't stand spiced rum. Always too much spice and not enough "rum" flavor. This one has a very delicate flavor that is more like a 40 proof rather than 40abv. I would never guess it to be as strong as it is. Surprisingly, the flavor that I could taste in the background was coconut. Very faint but I wouldn't be shocked if there was some in it.

I like Appleton as well but it would be unfair to compare it to such a small batch run. The DR is THAT much better.

• @FloridaCracker said: This one has a very delicate flavor that is more like a 40 proof rather than 40abv. I would never guess it to be as strong as it is.

An excellent description of deep hearts.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Very possible but if I was to guess, it would be something added on the backside as in maybe glycerin or something else. It definitely had a silky almost cognac mouthfeel, almost thick for a better word.

Whatever it is, I am going to damn sure try and incorporate it into my rum.

• 99% of spiced rums use 'flavorings'... Siesta Key does not... you can tell instantly... I have a couple bottles reserved for me when I get back from the midwest next week...

• @CothermanDistilling said: 99% of spiced rums use 'flavorings'... Siesta Key does not... you can tell instantly... I have a couple bottles reserved for me when I get back from the midwest next week...

Yeah Mike, I was able to talk to two of the owners and tried to get a little info without being too obvious. Gleaned a few nuggets but would love to be a fly on the wall there for about a week. Think they would let me "intern" there for a bit?

• edited August 2015

image.jpg
    800 x 598 - 103K
  • edited August 2015

I'm in the northern hemisphere. When I post pictures do they look upside down to you guys in NZ and Oz? Yours appear upside down to me... ;)

• If you separate your second and third cervical vertebrae you will be able to view that picture.

• Hemisphere problem fixed! >:)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I used to make massive sachertortes with that stuff all over them and apricot jam filling.
    I remember drinking it with coke for my knock off whilst sucking down winni blues.
    Kinda funny that you've got the metho close at hand to wash the taste out.
    Funny history behind that stuff, rum substitute.

• Got this from the same distillery as the spiced rum. Just as buttery smooth and would be a shame to mix it with anything. No added liquid flavorings or colors. Made with real toasted coconut.

Toasted Coconut.jpg
    600 x 799 - 73K
  • edited August 2015

Mt Uncle Iridium Gold Rum. By far my most favorite rum atm. From FNQ Rum Co. about 45 mins drive west from Cairns Qld.

iridium_gold_rum.jpg
    600 x 600 - 50K
  • edited September 2015

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K
  • edited October 2015

Berrocca @-)

berrocca.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• well Jackson have you ever tasted of this one.... ... what your trying to say is that in general spiced rums taste of fake vanilla to you... This one might rock your world... just sayin :D

• My 1st absinthe :)

absinthe.jpg
    451 x 800 - 36K
  • @FullySilenced said: well Jackson have you ever tasted of this one.... ... what your trying to say is that in general spiced rums taste of fake vanilla to you... This one might rock your world... just sayin :D

You could well be spot on but haven't come across a good one yet. I'm not against having a tasting though.

That looks fantastic MW.

• @FullySilenced said: well Jackson have you ever tasted of this one.... ... what your trying to say is that in general spiced rums taste of fake vanilla to you... This one might rock your world... just sayin :D

Which one?

• Pretty much my first ever taste of Gin. Bought a bottle of Tanqueray 10. I can see why people find this spirit so fascinating and why there is so much room for expression. I am so impressed by the length on the pallete. There is no way i'd set out to get drunk on this stuff.

We finally have a decent bottle shop in my town as Dan Murphy's opened up here last week. i intend to get a set of references that are spirits i like. I have a bottle of Bookers, i'll be getting one of Zapaca 23 if no one talks me into a different rum as i have tried it and had my senses opened.
    I am looking for a tequila too as i like the reposada stuff.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I love Dans. Have a go of Gin and Agrum.
    I got given a bottle of Centenario XO which is pretty spesh.
    The small batch Bundy is OK but my fav is the base Appletons, every time.
    Cachaça is an interesting animal too add to the collection.

Have you every had a Little Creatures Bright ale? If you manage a clone of that that stands up I'd pay you for it :D

• @Punkin - See if someone has Monkey 47 Gin... not cheap, but great to show what possibilities there are... And, now I have to thank you, because searching for a good link for you took me to their home page and I can't stop reading: Monkey 47 - Schwarzwald Dry Gin

• edited October 2015

No worries JB, i'll give it a whirl, but it seems such a delicate thing that a mixer is out of place and really an insult to the maker.

LC don't make a beer that i'd buy on purpose. I'm too much of a hop head.

Dans don't have it cotherman, but i can get it online below. May give it a whirl if i'm ever at a bar that has it.

Monkey 47 Dry Gin @ My Bottleshop AU

Larry was skypeing me about tequila yesterday, this is the range i am able to access;

Tequila @ Dan Murphy's AU

Anything good there under $100?

• Wow, that bright ale might surprise you then.
    What do you mean hop head, taste or fragrance? Bitter as or super floral? The late hops in the Bright is the reason we drink it. One of the most floral beers available off the shelf.

• You're funny. :))

I have a carton of Tower 10 IPA in the fridge at 7% and 70 ibu i've nearly drunk since i bought it on Saturday. I have a Cascadian Black on tap at 5.2% and somewhat similar IBU that has been hopped at 4g/l in the keg and a house APA that runs at 5% and 40 ibu with 4g/l keg hop as well. If i check the no chill box in brew mate it runs at 110 ibu =))

I like hops. I have a 90l freezer full.

Have you tried Feral's Hop Hog? My taste is further towards that. Even have a go at Burleigh Heads 28 pale ale if the Hog is a bit savage for you.

• No but I'll have a go. Love the aroma of hops but not so much the bitterness. If your going for high IBU IPA types then I can see why the LC might not be for you. I think we need a few more TLAs too

• TLA?

• edited October 2015

@jacksonbrown said: No but I'll have a go. Love the aroma of hops but not so much the bitterness. If your going for high IBU IPA types then I can see why the LC might not be for you. I think we need a few more TLAs too

OMG my IPA is OTT with IBUs! WTF?!

• @punkin Herradura and Centenario are many favorites so far. I like em Blanco... Had more real tequila taste to me...

@CothermanDistilling that monkey business is inky 30 minutes away from where my Grammy used to live. Might visit the fam next time I'm in Germany and swing by there as well to puck a bottle up and a brain or two