StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

8 Inch Sanitary Tri-Clamp Ferrule Fitting Sizes?

What's the deal with the different ferrule sizes??? I purchased a 8 inch ferrule, cap, gasket and clamp for my keg boiler. I thought 8 inches was a standard size. I know the size is determined by the size of the pipe or tubing that the ferrule fits on to, not the size of the ferrule face where the gasket fits on. The ferrule I have has a tube or pipe size of exactly 8 inches or (223 MM) outside diameter. The flange face where the gasket goes on and seals with the clamp is 8 and 5/8 inches or (219 MM). I saw a lower priced 8 inch PTFE gasket on flebay so I ordered it, It doesn't fit my 8 inch ferrule. It's 9 and 1/8 inches or (232 MM) a difference of 1/2 inch or (13 MM) too big. What's the deal with this? Why is there more than 1 size gasket for an 8 inch ferrule fitting? Is there a US standard size and a different EURO standard size or something??? A gasket for one 8 inch ferrule should fit on any other 8 inch ferrule or so I thought????

Tagged:

Comments

• Buy all the pieces from StillDragon and the question will not apply.

Sorry, but that's the short answer.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• It can be really confusing to us Yanks because the rest of the world is intimately familiar with metric,,,,and we are,,,,,,,Mericans.

Gimme two minutes and I'll post our dimensions in American.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited July 2015

8 inch ferrule.jpg
    800 x 714 - 35K

• @Smaug said: Gimme two minutes and I'll post our dimensions in American.

My ferrule has the same 7 and 3/4" ID but the OD is 8 and 5/8" So what's the deal with that? Is mine some kind of euro size? Is your photo from a US manufacture? I can't find any size diagrams for SD and I don't see any PTFE gaskets.

• Went through this exact problem a couple of months ago with 5" tri clamps X9. Finally had to order them from @SDeurope. The shipping was high and the wait long but they did fit.

• Well, so far there must be 3 different size ferrules for what they call 8 inch. Smaug's 8 and 1/4" and here is my 8 and 5/8" ferrule and a 9 and 1/8" gasket I got from flebat that say's it's for a 8 " sanitary ferrule fitting.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 124K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 119K
  • The ferrule I have is designated as a standard 3A TC fitting from Brewers Hardware US made at 8 and 5/8 inches or 219 MM then there's Smaug's 8 and 1/4 inches or 209.5 MM and then the flebay gasket at 9 and 1/8 inches or 232 MM. All 3 are supposed to be 8 inch ferrule fittings????????????

• As a matter of interest, wud you pay for the ferrule?

• There are two main hygienic tube standards that I'm aware of, DN I think is the euro one. There's probably a few other oddball ones too. There are also different gauges for pressure. You can get bolted Tri clamps too.
    Any one got a proper 'Tri' with three pieces instead of two? I've got one somewhere.

clamp.jpg
    300 x 300 - 7K
  • @Smaug said: As a matter of interest, wud you pay for the ferrule?

I paid $130.95 for the whole package shipping included. It's a long weld ferrule, It's a little more than 1 and 1/2 inches from gasket face to weld end and the end cap is almost 1/2 inch thick and the clamp is a single pin type. The only draw back is it came with the soft translucent type silicone gasket that only handles about 300 degrees F and I wanted the PTFE gasket that handles like 500 degrees. The whole thing weighs about 10 LBS, It's a nice 304 SS polished fitting it looks almost too good to weld to a beer keg, I'm just having the gasket size problem 209.5 MM or 219 MM or 232 MM My end cap and gasket is 219 MM. I looked at StillDragons North American store but they don't show actual sizes. I don't want to order a gasket and have it be the wrong size.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 48K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 43K
  • edited July 2015

@Thomasedwin, please see the following discussion for more details on standards and already done research on that matter:

Tri-Clamp Connection

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I just came back from the metal fab shop and to cut a hole and weld a 3" ferrule into the top of the 8" ferrule cap and weld the 8" ferrule onto the keg and a 1/2" drain fitting in the bottom of the keg they want $250. plus tax. They said the 8" ferrule cap is too thick to cut with a plasma cutter to get a smooth cut so they are going to use a laser. They are backed up with orders so it's going to take a week and a half to get it done but I will post photo results when I get it back.

• Milk can is starting to look cheap

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Real problem is, he has cut the keg already!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• I thought about getting a milk can boiler but most that I have seen are thinner than a beer keg and some look like a tube with a cap welded on the bottom that has a seam that could crack open and leak after being heated and cooled so many times. I've seen seamless milk cans but they were only like 10 gallons. I don't think those milk cans were designed to handle boiling liquids but neither is a beer keg. When I got my beer keg I looked at the skirts welded to the top and bottom and they look pretty thick, maybe 3 MM or 1/8" so I figured it would last a good while but when I cut the hole for the ferrule I saw that the container wall of the keg is only about 1, 1/2 or 2 MM thickness but I had already invested in it and fittings so I'm just going with it. Too bad there isn't a way to put about a 1/4 inch copper plate on the bottom of the keg like those expensive copper clad pots. I'm going to be really upset if this keg springs a leak after 2 years or so. The whole point of me getting a beer keg was I thought it would last a long long time.

• Never heard of a keg leaking and i can't see any reason why one would. Then again i've never heard of a milk can leaking either and they have been in the market for years

• I had a 15 gallon SS stockpot that warped, cracked and leaked and it was seamless. I just don't want that to happen again, With the beer keg I could always get a leak welded.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 95K

2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 50K
  • @smaug The pic you posted -

Those are the dimensions of the 8 inch ferrule that you sell?

• Yes sir.

• edited February 2021

@Smaug said:

That can’t be the size.

An 8 inch ferrule is roughly 203 mm tube size.

The tongue groove is 207 mm to centre which is 8 5/32.

Your outside diameter should be more like eight and five eights or 217mm on an 8 inch ferrule.

I’m Canadian so I was taught imperial and metric.

• I stick exclusively with genuine StillDragon for 8" TC parts... Is that genuine SD? I would search past threads, this was discussed 5 years ago if I remember correctly.

• If you order off-site from SD usually they will have the dimensions listed so you can make them match up. Best to stick with the SD sizes so you can get parts easily when AliExpress drama begins halfway they your order.

• edited February 2021

To confirm what @Smaug said in his picture.
    The 8" ferrule is 7-3/4" or 197mm internal and ~204mm external or 8.031"

• My 8" SD parts don't match the picture. The OD of the flange is more like 8.5".

• edited February 2021

@jbierling said: My 8" SD parts don't match the picture. The OD of the flange is more like 8.5".

Yes, my apologies, i see what @Smaug and i have both done. We measured the pipe end rather than the flange end. Flange is ~218mm 8.5"

• Yeah should prolly delete that pic and replace with an accurate representation.