StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Home Distilling Legalization - Threat to all the Craft Startup's?

Looks like different bills in the house and senate are gaining momentum.

For the equipment suppliers this is clearly an opportunity, but what's the implication to all the craft/micro's starting up?

Home Distilling Legalization
  1. Do you think home distilling legalization is a threat to all the craft startup's?32 votes
    1. Yes, home-made will diminish the market
        3.13%
    2. No, craft share will still grow
      93.75%
    3. Don't know or care
        3.13%

Comments

• The masses are still buying Bud Light (ahhh). They will still buy Jack Daniels. But those interested, even those making their own, will buy/try craft!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• @dad - my point ;)

I don't think that it's a threat to big liquor. My main concern is whether it's a threat to the small start-ups. I can imagine the potential customers for this picking up in part the hobby if it's legalized. On the other hand, there's plenty of home brewers around and there's still a good market for brewpubs.

• It's the same as craft breweries i guess. One of their biggest markets would be home brewers. I know i will seek out and buy better beers wherever they are available. (I mean beers on tap in the case of beer, i don't go out and pay good money to drink bottled beer if i can help it.)

I would think that craft spirits are the same, who of us would tour a small distillery and buy a bottle to sample? How many of us have expensive liquors in our cabinets for that special occasion when we want something to savour?
    Is it because of our knowledge of distillation or in spite of it we spend that dough?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The small, home distiller STILL WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SELL so I don't see the conflict. I mean, what is the percentage of people who drink, who make their own? Even if legal, you may see a few more get into the hobby but I have to believe that those who want to already do.

Taking the above figures, those of us who distill who won't be buying from micros is an even smaller number.

As an aside, I have GALLONS of rum on the shelves and I am going to drive 1 1/2 hours on Saturday to buy rum from a micro distillery. I expect to spend over $100. Would be more if it weren't for the fucking law limiting me to 2 bottles of same label.

Personally, I think that guys who make their own are kindred spirits to those who have gone legal, and want to see them thrive.

• Well put Cracker.

Home brewing did not slow down the craft brew surge. They started it. Same is true for the distillation side.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited July 2015

Most of us could probably make a nice bit of coin teaching local classes on the side, and maybe a nice commission from affiliate equipment sales... ;)

• Craft distillers are a business. Their only competition is other businesses with similar saleable products. To be successful, crafties must rise above their competitor's products. Home distillers can't sell. Their success lies in making products that suit their palate and possibly their ego ("made it meself mate"). Home distillers in New Zealand (legal since before 2000) have never caused any worry to the businesses producing / selling spirits. In fact brand spirit sales have increased in the time since. So there's the tried and proven evidence to squash any arguments. Those few crafties voicing concerns are simply lobbying to rub out what they perceive as hobbyists "watering down" of the crafties potential customer base. Truth is, they gotta step up and offer a better more desirable alternative to win those customers. People will always indulge in hobbies & cottage type crafts (cheeses, butter, beer etc.) by choice. Legality means nowt. It's human nature. Might as well try to ban sex! Good luck with that. =))

• edited July 2015

In the US you can trace a direct correlation between when home brewing was legalized and the beginning of the craft brewing renaissance. 1978.

I suspect that legalizing hobby distilling will drive an increase in craft distilling in a simular way.

Those making their own will seek out fine examples of the styles made by small scale pros. Some hobbyists will gain knowledge and experience and go pro. Experimentation with new styles and techniques will be driven on small scale by hobbyists and craft distillers. Successful new styles and new techniques will flourish, e.g. Imperial IPA and RIMS...

The megas will lose market share (but still dominate the market). Micros and craft will explode in numbers and quality.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Not to mention that the talent pool will increase exponentially in terms of skilled labor for the distilling industry.

At the moment titty surgeons are more plentiful than master distillers.

• edited July 2015

I like my spirits like I like my titties; all sizes, all shapes, all natural!

• I'll drink to that!

• And if we are allowed to distill at home, just imagine how many will want to actually buy a rig that they can show off.

Win for SD.

• I've drunk to that...

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Another good example how a topic can go south...

Good discussion!

To titties off all shapes - I raise my glass

• edited July 2015

@Kapea said: I like my titties; all sizes, all shapes, all natural!

image.jpg
    373 x 306 - 20K

• I see both around here (In Texas) - Some of the boys buy neutrals (or corn) from the 'private providers', others buy "Old Grandad" and other "drink before Thursday" variants of whiskey at the store, and some buy the craft whiskies. Folks experiment with the newer labels that come from JackD, or CrownRoyal, but they are still pond spew compared to a good craft whiskey.

One point of note, there are at least 4 craft distilleries in the NE Texas area that started in a shed or other 'out of the way" place. In Missouri, USA and some other states, it has been legal to home distill for years now, and that hasn't affected the markets. The plain truth is "As long they keep a making whiskey, we'll keep a drinking it. And if there's better whiskey, we'll drink that too"

Cheers

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• @DistilliTraK it is still illegal to home distill in missouri, it may be decriminalized on the state level but still federally illegal, same goes for colorado

• Aye, but the federal govt does not (and has not) enforce(d) it. Just like the Pot laws in Colo. And, many state charters indicate that state law trumps federal law. Yes, if you are selling pints from yer front porch, expect ATF to show up, but for yourself and quiet - they gots bigger fesh to fry lookin' for ISIS ppl here these days.

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• If im not mistaken this is a discussion of a federal bill being pushed through the house and senate and the resulting affect on craft distilleries if it becomes federally legal to distill at home, even in states where home distilling has become decriminalized many home brewers and vintners(including home brew and wine shops) are generally scared to be associated with home distillers. Personally I would like to see these federal bills passed, while I was stilling at home I would drink my own and try various craft distillery products, I think this is pretty standard throughout the industry, people putting down the bottle of jim beam and drinking something local.

• @DistilliTraK said: Aye, but the federal govt does not (and has not) enforce(d) it. Just like the Pot laws in Colo. And, many state charters indicate that state law trumps federal law. Yes, if you are selling pints from yer front porch, expect ATF to show up, but for yourself and quiet - they gots bigger fesh to fry lookin' for ISIS ppl here these days.

I wish you were right but it appears as if our president would rather play golf.

• Nothing to do with the POTUS past or present.

Please lets not go there.

• @Smaug said: Nothing to do with the POTUS past or present.

Please lets not go there.

I was referring to the "looking for ISIS" comment not about the law which I know has nothing to do with the presidency.

• People have a right to do what they want to do. The government doesn't want you to do anything except give them your money.

• @Thomasedwin said: People have a right to do what they want to do.

Not quite. According to my old SAS buddy, people have only ONE RIGHT...The right to draw their next breath. PRIVIDING they can fight for it.