StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Pink Floyd Thread

Comments

• There's someone in my head, but its not me.

• @Kapea said: Guess SRV & Double Trouble musta been a gulf coast thing. Saw them in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida.

No, not at all. First time I saw him was in 82 when he played an outdoor show at U of F. He was pretty much an unknown then and totally left everyone speechless. I really like SRV but I guess I missed some of his stuff. I swear at times he was channeling Jimi Hendrix.

• edited June 2015

He really got famous when he played on David Bowie's Let's Dance album. Although it is a short one, I think his guitar solo on China Girl is one of the best ever.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Never knew that he played that lead. Cool. He also played the lead on Beat It, right?

Just fukin wit cha.

• edited June 2015

Nile Rogers played the short choppy stuff on Let's Dance. SRV played the bluesy stuff. Pretty different for 1983 - Bowie putting blues guitar on a "disco" album. First time I heard it on the radio I knew it was SRV.

I saw an interview with Michael Jackson where he said he wanted a real wanker to play guitar on Beat It, to keep the song in character. He knew there was only one person who fit the bill... :))

• @Kapea said: Nile Rogers played the short choppy stuff on Let's Dance. SRV played the bluesy stuff. Pretty different for 1983 - Bowie putting blues guitar on a "disco" album. First time I heard it on the radio I knew it was SRV.

I saw an interview with Michael Jackson where he said he wanted a real wanker to play guitar on Beat It, to keep the song in character. He knew there was only one person who fit the bill... :))

Touche

• GeeGee
    edited June 2015

Saw SRV and his brothers band The Fabulous Thunderbirds here in NZ at the Wellington town hall way back in the day. At the end Stevie was playing a double neck guitar and his brother came out and they both played the same guitar at the same time. Amazing!! Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iInty7V16ds

• That was very cool! Thanks for putting it up.

• My first impression of SRV when he walked on that stage in '82 was "What kind of fucking clown puts giant "SRV" stickers on a nice Fender Strat. Funny. 5 minutes later I had forgotten all about the stickers........

• My first impression was takiing a fine young Texican lass to see him at a club in Austin in 1980. She wanted to see him. Who was I to say no? About three bars into the first song my attention was drawn away from the young lady. About two thirds of the way through the set he played Little Wing. That was 35 years ago and I still get goose bumps remembering it.

• Sunny Sunday afternoon. I'm out the back packing orders to get a head start for tomorrow, my lady with me and the Final Cut on the portable speaker in the background.

The moment when the brakes lock,
    And you slide towards the big truck, (daddy daddy)
    You stretch the frozen moments with your fear.
    And you'll never hear their voices
    And you'll never see their faces
    You have no recourse to the law anymore.

And as the windshield melts
    My tears evaporate
    Leaving only charcoal to defend.
    Finally I understand the feelings of the few.
    Ashes and diamonds
    Foe and friend
    We were all equal in the end.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Well that ought to cheer you up on a Sunday afternoon......

• edited June 2015

Here's some Pink Floyd Fathers' Day cheer for ya:

The memories of a man in his old age,
    Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
    You shuffle in the gloom in a sick room,
    And talk to yourself as you die.

Life is a short warm moment!,
    And death is a long cold rest.
    You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye,
    Eighty years, with luck, or even less...

Roger Waters is such a ray of sunshine, yah?

• One of my and her favourite songs Kapea.

It got long and loud yesterday, ending with Crime of The Century. In the middle somewhere was the Black Keys El Camino album.
    I reckon that record is going to be a classic timeless statement in the vein that Stop Making Sense can appeal to anyone.
    It's just that good an album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiMEiJnY8dI

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2015

The Final Cut (Waters)

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
    I can barely define the shape of this moment in time
    And far from flying high in clear blue skies
    I'm spiraling down to the hole in the ground where I hide.

If you negotiate the minefield in the drive
    And beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes
    And if you make it past the shotgun in the hall,
    Dial the combination, open the priesthole
    And if I'm in I'll tell you what's behind the wall.

There's a kid who had a big hallucination
    Making love to girls in magazines.
    He wonders if you're sleeping with your new found faith.
    Could anybody love him
    Or is it just a crazy dream?

And if I show you my dark side
    Will you still hold me tonight?
    And if I open my heart to you
    And show you my weak side
    What would you do?
    Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?
    Would you take the children away
    And leave me alone?
    And smile in reassurance
    As you whisper down the phone?
    Would you send me packing?
    Or would you take me home?

Thought I oughta bare my naked feelings,
    Thought I oughta tear the curtain down.
    I held the blade in trembling hands
    Prepared to make it but just then the phone rang
    I never had the nerve to make the final cut.

"Hello? Listen, I think I've got it. Okay, listen its a HaHa!"

• edited June 2015

Best ever albums for listening to on headphones?

Gotta be Led Zepplin 2 as first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6yCFZ5eL5s

Talking heads 'Stop Making Sense' as second? Maybe.

Peter Frampton Frampton Come Alive? We only ever listened to one side of the double album when we were kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Yq5m9eLIQ

• Frampton Comes Alive was the first album that I ever bought. Still listen to it today. As far as headphones, I would have to go with Wish You Were Here with a nod to Welcome to the Machine

• edited June 2015

Funny how an album going major hit and being played every 10 minutes on the radio ruined it for me.

I really enjoyed being a Pink Floyd fan. Then Dark Side of the Moon came out and was played non-stop on all of the rock radio stations.

Same with Peter Frampton. I knew him from playing on John Entwistle's Whistle Rhymes album and from Humble Pie. Then Frampton Comes Alive saturated the airwaves and ruined it for me.

A couple of years ago I saw a documentary about Peter Frampton on Palladia and remembered why I enjoy his music so much. He is a master guitarist. He's been back in the rotation a lot ever since.

Never stopped listening to Pink Floyd. DSOM just stayed at the back of the Pink Floyd file for a couple of decades.

Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page? I wore the grooves out of three vinyl copies of their second album before getting a digital copy.

Electric Ladyland introduced me to the wonders of headphones.

• The thing about Frampton comes alive is that being a double album, if you take away the 4-5 songs that everyone knows, there are some real gems. Never cared for his version of Jumpin Jack Flash but the rest of the album is really nice. As far as Zeppelin, the fourth album is the one that I can't listen to anymore because of being overplayed except the Battle of Evermore which I think it the only song that the band did with another vocalist. Some chick who matched Plant perfectly.

• edited June 2015

Led Zeppelin's fourth album came along at a really good time in my life, so it is the soundtrack for my memories of that. But yeah, it did get over-played on the radio back then.

The first Led Zeppelin album is still my favorite. When it was released my older sister brought home a copy and said, "Here, you really need to listen to this!" I bought my own copy the next day.

"Oh the humanity!"

• @FloridaCracker said: As far as headphones, I would have to go with Wish You Were Here

I'm with you. the way the sound moves from left to right just completely fills your head when listening with headphones on & your eyes closed

• Awesome thread fellas,thought I was the only one that still used over the ear head phones when it came dowm to enjoying music and not bothering the neighbor at 2:00 am, what type of heads ya all using?

It is what you make it!

• Mine are nothing fancy, $100 Sol Republic.

• Sony MDR Z7 for home/office. Bose Quiet Comfort 25 for traveling.

• Bose noise canceling SWMBO bought me a few Xmases back they are nice fit and Sound awesome

It is what you make it!

• edited July 2015

David Gilmour is starting to look (and sound) a lot like Bob Dylan in his old age...

Same thing happened to Tom Petty.

• I always kinda thought that Petty had a Dylan kind of thing right from the beginning. When he sings the line "You don't have to live like a refugee" the two are hard to tell apart. The Gilmour thing hurts me to see him grow old. Seems like he should be immune from such bullshit.

• Sorry PWD (and rocking)

pink.jpg
    700 x 392 - 43K