Hali'imaile Distilling in Maui

Hali'imaile Distilling Company

Took the tour there yesterday. Friendly bunch there and an interesting set up.

Comments

• That's a sweet glass still … it wouldn't last 15 minutes in my hands.

• edited July 2015

Pau Maui = Good vodka made from spike (fermented pineapple). Has a bit of a sweet finish to it. Nice. If they didn't tell you it was made from pineapple, you'd probably never guess it.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I liked the pau vodka as well as the rum. what i am baffled by is how they can keep up production with just two 100 liter boilers on the vodka rigs.

• @solarpowerscott said: I liked the pau vodka as well as the rum. what i am baffled by is how they can keep up production with just two 100 liter boilers on the vodka rigs.

Have thought about that also. Do they publicize their monthly/ weekly production volumes or sales?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug not that I know of. The tour guide mentioned that the rum production was much greater than the vodka. They produce the rum for Sammy Hagar and run that on the several 55 gallon potstills.

• edited July 2015

Did you see enough fermentation capacity to keep up with the likes of a contract bottler as well as their own brands?

• they had maybe 10 of these guys, maybe 60 gallons each. two holding/ bottling tax determination tanks maybe 15 bbls each and two or three 7 bbl fermenters

image.jpg
    800 x 598 - 37K
  • They sell Pau Maui Vodka at Costcos on all Hawaiian islands. They have to be able to guarantee delivery of a pretty large volume to get placement in Costco.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I'm thinking with the two 100 liter reflux stills running low wines at 35% abv they could put out maybe 40 gallons of 80 proof every run? Sound about right? Those columns cant be more than 4" diameter.

• Are those SS, 44Gal drums in the pic just big pots with double liebigs hanging of them? I see the drain but how are they fired?

• edited July 2015

There does appear to be a pair of 220/230/240/250 volt plug receptacles behind each of the kettles? Though there is nothing plugged into them when the photo was taken.

Can also see what appears to be a service chord looped over adjacent. So perhaps two elements on single phase power for each kettle?

From here it doesn't look like they have a way to precisely control input on the drum kettles but do see that the glass ones have a controller.

• I did not see any controls for the heating elements on the drums. The columns on the drums do have two liebigs. The tour was conducted by a very cute young lady but she only had rudimentary knowledge of the process.

• @solarpowerscott said: I'm thinking with the two 100 liter reflux stills running low wines at 35% abv they could put out maybe 40 gallons of 80 proof every run? Sound about right? Those columns cant be more than 4" diameter.

Forgot to factor in removal of heads and tails. So maybe 20 gallons finished product right? Seems pretty low for a commercial distillery

• I always love seeing pics of this place. They appear to go so contrary to the norm and make out well.

10 x 55 gallon strippers feeding two Scrubbie packed column stills probably putting out 90% +.

Run all this 24/7 and it's a hell of a lot. But I don't see enough fermentation.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• single phase power is 30% more expensive too......