StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Pink Floyd Thread

Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2015

Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd,

Smiling. :D

floyd3.jpg
    600 x 604 - 68K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2015

floyd4.jpg
    800 x 532 - 51K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2015

Hotel, schmotel,

I went!

Pink Floyd at Tampa Stadium 4-24-77.jpg
    800 x 587 - 86K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I was in the kitchen
    Seamus, that's the dog was outside.
    Well, I was in the kitchen
    Seamus, my old hound was outside Well, as the sun was sinking slowly
    My old hound just sat right down and cried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdEiH6BbiDQ

Thus began my love of dog songs.

• How can you have any pudding if you don't beat your meat?!

• U yes u stand still laddy.

• edited June 2015

Echoes is my all-time favorite Floyd song.

Surprised you posted Meddle, definitely a fan to get that deep in.

• edited June 2015

Saw them twice during the '94 Division Bell tour - In June at Yankee's Stadium - NYC, and the last show they ever played in North America - July 18th at Giants Stadium in NJ. I believe the last show was one of the shows where they played pretty much the whole DSOTM album.

Since then have seen both Waters and Gilmour in a number of shows.

Was a little too young to have seen any of the Momentary Lapse tour shows.

• Saw two Momentary Lapse shows. One in Tampa and then again in Orlando. 87-88. My brother and I have agreed that if the remaining 3 members play again together, we will travel anywhere on the globe to see it. Until then, this will have to do;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUYzQaCCt2o

Imagine for a second that you are in this crowd and have no idea of what is coming. If this doesn't give you chills as a Floyd fan, nothing will

• @punkin said: I was in the kitchen
    Seamus, that's the dog was outside.
    Well, I was in the kitchen
    Seamus, my old hound was outside Well, as the sun was sinking slowly
    My old hound just sat right down and cried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdEiH6BbiDQ

Thus began my love of dog songs.

Then you surely recognize this one;

Who was broken by trained personnel.
    Who was fitted with collar and chain.
    Who was given a pat on the back.

• I wrote so much code with Floyd playing in my headphones over the decades... Meddle was a good album, but there were others before that one which are excellent as well... (dating myself, I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2G8EWy-plM

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• edited June 2015

Yeah, the whole collection is good, I even enjoy the post-Floyd stuff. Water's Radio Kaos is one of my favorite albums.

Home is a fantastic fantastic track, if you are a Floyd fan and have never heard it, you need to take a listen on Youtube. If you hated 80s pop, it may not be your cup of tea, but in the context of the time period, it's right on.

The lyrics to Home feel so completely appropriate for the current time period. The zeitgeist is so spot on right now it's scary. Just played it again, gives me shivers it's so prescient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AFe--d-zMA

Could be Jerusalem, or it could be Cairo
    Could be Berlin, or it could be Prague
    Could be Moscow, could be New York
    Could be Llanelli, and it could be Warrington
    Could be Warsaw, and it could be Moose Jaw
    Could be Rome
    Everybody got somewhere they call home

When they overrun the defences
    A minor invasion put down to expenses
    Will you go down to the airport lounge
    Will you accept your second class status
    A nation of waitresses and waiters
    Will you mix their martinis
    Will you stand still for it
    Or will you take to the hills

It could be clay and it could be sand
    Could be desert
    Could be a tract of arable land
    Could be a house, could be a corner shop
    Could be a cabin by a bend in the river
    Could be something your old man handed down
    Could be something you built on your own
    Everybody got something he calls home

When the cowboys and Arabs draw down
    On each other at noon
    In the cool dusty air of the city boardroom
    Will you stand by a passive spectator
    Of the market dictators
    Will you discreetly withdraw
    With your ear pressed to the boardroom door
    Will you hear when the lion within you roars
    Will you take to the hills

Will you stand, will you stand for it
    Will you hear, ohhhh! ohhh! when the lion within you roars

• edited June 2015

If I was going to overthrow a government, or start a revolution, Home would be a good tune to do it to.

The Tide is Turning is a nice way to end the album, so that you don't feel the world is going to end in cold war nuclear annihilation.

Not the cold war anymore, but still so god damned relevant today

Used to look in on the children at night
    In the glow of their Donald Duck light
    And frighten myself with the thought of my little ones burning
    But oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning

Satellite buzzing through the endless night
    Exclusive to moonshots and world title fights
    Jesus Christ imagine what it must be earning
    Who is the strongest, who is the best
    Who holds the aces, the East or the West
    This is the crap our children are learning
    But oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning
    The tide is turning
    Oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning

Now the satellite's confused
    'Cos on Saturday night
    The airwaves were full of compassion and light
    And his silicon heart warmed
    To the sight of a billion candles burning
    Oo, oo, oo, the tide is turning
    Oo, oo, oo, the tide is turning

I'm not saying that the battle is won
    But on Saturday night all those kids in the sun
    Wrested technology's sword from the hand of the
    War Lords
    Oh, oh, oh, the tide is turning

• edited June 2015

I used to loop the "tuh tuh tuh come, bah hee" section of Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict in my darkened house on Halloween. Parents would walk up to my sidewalk, take a look and a listen, and herd their little chillins on to the next house without stopping.

I first saw Pink Floyd at the Lyric Theater in Baltimore in 1972, touring behind their Obscured by Clouds album. Still one of my favorites!

"One, two, free, four..."

• edited June 2015

I like the dehydrated Pink Floyd albums a lot too.

"Unheeded warnings, I thought I'd thought of everything..."

• Guy I work will keeps telling me I need to catch a Brit Floyd show, but I missed them when they were in the area earlier this year. I think they still have some 2015 tour dates in the states.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrRhnaFaBsA

I was gunna mention Several Species. I listen to a lot of Floyd and my wife and son have become fans as a result, but Ummagumma is mostly too out there for me. Like a lot of the early Yes or King Crimson stuff.
    Atom Heart Mother, meddle, Brick in the wall, Dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, Obscured by clouds even Momentary Lapse of reason and the final cut get a run here now and then.

• According to Rolling Stone Magazine, the top guitar solos of all time:

1. Stairway to Heaven
    2. Eruption
    3. Freebird
    4. Comfortably Numb

As a guitar player who has tried to play all of the above, I pretty much agree with 3 of the 4. # 1 is # 1 probably more because of the popularity of the band and the song, but I would have probably put it at # 5. I personally think that Eruption should be # 1. Tried to play it once or twice. No bueno. I could at one time play Freebird in its entirety pretty close to the original. Believe it or not, the slide at the beginning was always harder for me to master.

Which leads to # 4 which I think should be # 3. I am still trying to hone this one. The song actually has 2 solos. RS ranks the song at # 4 because of the second solo (no shit). It has such a soaring sound and lazer sharp bends. Not a particularly fast solo; that wasn't the point. It just fucking works in so many ways. I was once asked what I thought was the perfect song. CN came to mind immediately. The dueling voices, one sinister, the other soothing. The story AND the guitar solos.

Absolute perfection.

• Check out the guitar solo that begins at 4 minutes 51 seconds.

• edited June 2015

@FloridaCracker said: According to Rolling Stone Magazine, the top guitar solos of all time...

Rolling Stone is full of shit. Any list that does not include Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, SRV, Joe Walsh, Jeff Beck, or Duane Allman - all of who come way ahead of Eddie Van Halen, Allen Collins, and Steve Gaines, is not worth the monitor it's displayed on.

Put Leslie West and Peter Frampton in there up front too.

• Hang on. This was a list of best guitar SOLOs, not top player. Some of the best players in the world just never got that perfect solo in a song.

Eruption pretty much sent everyone back to their guitar teachers who were also scratching their heads. I think that JH was # 5 or so. Of course all of this is subjective as is any poll. I love all of the players that you mentioned with the exception of Clapton who (blasphemy) I always thought was over rated. I am definitely in the minority on that one and totally get it. I grew up in Florida in the 70s thus my appreciation of Allen, Steve and Gary. They were the influence that pushed me to buy a guitar.

All of the above are very influential players. There are so many styles and types of players. I still listen to Frampton. His live album was the first record that I ever bought. Hendrix, well what can you say. At some point I have tried to play songs from all of them. Crossroads (EC version) I think was in the top 10. I still prefer Skynyrd's version but admit that EC pulled it off nicely.

I'm sure that ALL of us can agree that Gilmour belongs up there with the best. He can say more with one note than any other player that I have heard.

RS's list of best guitarists has Hendrix as # 1 and Clapton at # 2. Gilmour is # 14, EVH is # 8. Jeff Beck is # 5. Never had any mainstream hits but extremely talented. Keith Richards is # 4. Total bullshit. Great writer, average player.

Flame on!

• edited June 2015

I never thought of Eruption as anything more than random flailing at the fret board that makes my ears hurt. I do not like Van Halen. Never understood their success.

My favorite guitar solos do not rise to that level of feigned grandeur. Three that come to mind are the cover of Red House Jimi Hendrix did on his Smash Hits album, Mary Had a Little Lamb SRV did on his Live Alive! album, and Floating Bridge EC did on his Another Ticket album...

Coming from Florida, I've heard Free Bird so many times that if I never hear it again it will be too soon. Same with Sweet Home Alabama.

• Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Garry Moore, Clapton, Slash, are some of my favourites SRV's version of Hendrix's Little Wing is stellar!

• Just watched the Brit Floyd thing on TV. Quite good.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Kapea said: I never thought of Eruption as anything more than random flailing at the fret board that makes my ears hurt. I do not like Van Halen. Never understood their success.

My favorite guitar solos do not rise to that level of feigned grandeur. Three that come to mind are the cover of Red House Jimi Hendrix did on his Smash Hits album, Mary Had a Little Lamb SRV did on his Live Alive! album, and Floating Bridge EC did on his Another Ticket album...

Coming from Florida, I've heard Free Bird so many times that if I never hear it again it will be too soon. Same with Sweet Home Alabama.

According to EVH most of Eruption was kind of a warm up thing he did to loosen his fingers. Someone, I'm not sure who, maybe a producer or sound guy said it should be on the first album. It was polished off a little and then it was included. You have to think back to what was going on in 78 when it came out. Middle of the disco era. A lot of Bee Gees and such. I still remember the first time I heard it. Where I was and what the radio looked like. I had just bought my first electric guitar. A LOT of what he did had never been recorded before. Not saying it had never been done before but definitely never put on tape. Like VH or not, that was one of the most influential solo's of our time.

I definitely feel your lack of VH appreciation. Same way I feel about EC. I KNOW that he was influential but I just never got it.

• Ahh Yes. SRV, and Mary had a Little Lamb...

As far as "freebird" - some codger re-wrote it in a gospel form... played at church.. Even my bass was sick afterwards...

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• I had to google it. I'd never heard that song until today.

• I'm with you Punkin.

• Guess SRV & Double Trouble musta been a gulf coast thing. Saw them in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida.