StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Fermenting UJSSM

2»

Comments

• I don't drink it mate, the missus and a couple of my mates do, but it's easy to beat Jim Beam and the other midshelfs. I have to do a bourbon tasting shortly, the guy who bought Gonzolution gave me a couple of barrel aged bottles to try, so next time the neighbour is over we'll get some of mine, some of his and some of old mates.

I like beer, and 5% abv is plenty for me at my stage in life.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: I like beer, and 5% abv is plenty for me at my stage in life.

A true hobby for you...that's cool! Thanks for the help! I need it ha ha!

• @FloridaCracker said: I drain and then cold crash in the fridge. Most yeast is below the drain but the crashing settles the rest.

Does cold crashing help smooth out the taste? Do you find it makes a big difference?

• @Kdog said: Does cold crashing help smooth out the taste? Do you find it makes a big difference?

It will cause the yeast and any sediment to settle. Makes for a cleaner wash/mash so it probably changes the taste overall but I can't say for sure.

• @punkin said: image

I just turn the ball valve on and let it run into a bucket.

where did you get this strainer arrangement or is it a custom build??

• Its getting down to 3-4 degrees at night here now and I'm trying to work out the best way to keep the fermenter warm could i sit them in a sleeping bag?? Or would they get too hot? Or will a heat pad be enough?

• I use an electric blanket and a doona. A heat pad and a sleeping bag will be neough for a small fermenter.

The filters are out of water meters, you can get them at irrigation shops, the tank fittings are from the same source. I modified them the way i wanted.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I've got 60L fermenters so ill give the electric blanket and doona a whirl just hope it won't get too hot.

• Run it on an stc 1000 if you are worried, but i use the single electric blanket on low setting autumn and spring and medium when it's under 0 C at night. Keeps the little yeasties nice and toasty.