Washes successfully run with Immersion Element & no Agitation

Hi

I was hoping to get a list of washes that are easily run with a boiler (120ltr in my case) using immersion elements and no agitation. Or even if they can be successfully run with some simple cleanup labour afterwards.

I read from the forum that TPW, UJSM and lautered malted barley washes are all OK. I also read that distilling on grain and fruit is not a good idea. I am reading that unless I have the right equipment/process, that corn and rye are difficult.

Can you please suggest others that work well with my equipment - then I can do some more research on these specifically? I was wondering id people have used oats, wheat, triticale, buckwheat, molasses etc. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Comments

• I ran an all grain bourbon (corn, barley, wheat, rye) it was filtered through a BIB bag but it still had solids in the boiler. Run was great, elements just needed a good manual scrub after.

• I always lauter after mashing. If you stick to that, the grain bill doesn't matter (wheat, oat, corn, barley...). You can read up on homebrew forums on what grain bill is harder. Typically oat, corn, rye are harder as they become porridge when mashing.

Any type of sugar wash is ok - including molasses and panela.

With fruit is the same as with the grains. Try to filter a good amount of the solids out before putting it in your still

• I've done all of those but with gas and enzymes. Triticale is a great flavour.

I used to filter through a mesh strainer.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: I've done all of those but with gas and enzymes. Triticale is a great flavour.

Use Beano. It's an enzyme that keeps you from getting gas...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Had to look Triticale up. Looks interesting but doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. :((

• Triticale is grown in the US and people do make whiskey out of it...

Corsair

• @docporter thanks - did you see any sources for it?

• edited May 2015

If you are looking for an interesting, non-standard grain, millet might be easier to find than triticale, mostly because it's a common ingredient in bird food, hence most large feed suppliers carry it. Heck, any of the so-called "Ancient Grains" are also good places to start for off-the-path whiskey. Farro, Quinoa, Spelt, Amaranth, etc. Triticale technically a new hybrid, not ancient.

• Triticale has a real spicy peppery note to it. I don't know why as neither of it's parents do, but it was one of the best of the grains i played with. Oats is also good, a smooth slick spirit and best enjoyed white.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Triticale has a real spicy peppery note to it. I don't know why as neither of it's parents do

I think triticale is a wheat and rye hybrid so the spice was comes from the rye I assume?

• It'd have to, wheat is very mild.

• Amazon.com has 25 pound bags but the shipping is expensive. ($35 for the bag with $55 for shipping.)

• 22kw immersion heat. Simultaneous sacrification method on 500gallon mash. Stirring only. 6-8 abv all corn grain bill.