Some CIP and Plate Flush Ideas

edited May 2015 in Usage
This discussion was created from comments split from: The Guys at StillDragon North America.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

Comments

• For you guys running ProCaps, where do you drill your drainage holes on the plates? And for the guys in the states, what size drill bit?

• @FloridaCracker said: For you guys running ProCaps, where do you drill your drainage holes on the plates? And for the guys in the states, what size drill bit?

Drain holes? My procap plates came with holes already punched.
    But they went from China to Florida to Oz and then out here to the far side of BFE, so the holes may have just worn themselves in there...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• He means custom small drainage holes for CIP.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @FloridaCracker said: For you guys running ProCaps, where do you drill your drainage holes on the plates? And for the guys in the states, what size drill bit?

You can put a hole on the plate (I think 2mm was mentioned previously) but a (neater) option might be a plate surface level hole in the ProCap shaft so that it can drain via the ProCap vapour lock.

It just depends how fussy you wish to be. :D

• @Myles said: It just depends how fussy you wish to be. :D

Cool idea. I wonder if that would affect the transfer of vapors during the run.

if your boiler lid is closed, and you rinse them from the top, when you open the valve, it will suck the plates dry...

After a run, I hook up the water hose to the port above the dephleg, and the cooling/condensing of the hot space in the still sucks hard through the parrot... say hello to mike's non-patented power plate rinse ;-)

• Wow, that's a neat trick. Wonder if it would work on a small boiler like mine.

• just don't have a valve on you system, cause the opposite of 'boom' is what happens in this video.. (last 10 seconds)

• @FloridaCracker it works for me. I drain wash out first then do a good flush of the column from top and drain again. All the water from plates is sucked down.

• pictures and video.... would like to see what you all are talking about.

• @CothermanDistilling said: just don't have a valve on you system, cause the opposite of 'boom' is what happens in this video.. (last 10 seconds)

I remember hearing a story about a new proper commercial sized fermenter that we imploded. I can't remember if they ran top pressure or perhaps a vent was just undersized but they commenced the CIP cycle without flushing the CO2 out of the tank. The hot NaOH through the spray ball reacted with the CO2 leaving a massive under pressure situation then DOONG! and one fuct fermenter vessel.

Even if you don't implode things you'll still waste a lot of CIP chems unnecessarily if your not careful with purging/flushing.

Slightly off topic but an interesting foot note.

• Obviously more care needs to be taken with a hot Crystal Dragon than a hot Dash. The boroscilate is pretty tough but temp swings could have an impact.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @MikeAggie said: pictures and video.... would like to see what you all are talking about.

go stand over your toilet... pretend that it is one of many bubble tees... now hit the flush handle... ;-)

• Pretty amazing what collapsing steam and 14.7psi (more or less) can do.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• By my calcs that's well over 50 tonne of force

• My toilet doesn't flush THAT hard Mike.