Antifoam

I'm after some good silicone antifoam, that's not in small quantities (30ml).
Preferably in the UK.
I've tried oils, butters, but I'd like one that knocks down the foam for good.
Is there such a thing.

Comments

• edited April 2015

ANTIFOAM 86/013

Description

Basildon Chemicals Antifoam BC 86/013 is a combination silicone/non-silicone antifoam compound developed for use in the food industry.

Method of Use

Antifoam BC 86/013 can be used in its neat form or dispersed in a vegetable oil. A 10% dispersion in soya oil will be stable for up to 2 days. For maximum efficiency and economy we recommend the antifoam be diluted with vegetable oil before use, in the ratio of one volume of Antifoam BC 86/013 to nine volumes of vegetable oil, the oil being added slowly to the antifoam with continual low-shear agitation. For best results the diluted antifoam should be used within twelve hours of dilution. The quantity of antifoam required can only be found by experiment. In general between 100 and 500ppm of the product is all that is required (500ppm = 0.5 litres of product per 1000 litres of foaming media).

ANTIFOAM 86/013 Datasheet (PDF)

• Thanks Harry :)

• edited April 2015

Hi Topshot

I'm in the UK, Crisp n' Dry cooking oil is made from rapeseed oil and a silicone anti foaming agent Polydimethylsiloxane (E900)

It's what I use if I feel the need, but I rarely use anything for neutral.

Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) @ Wikipedia

• edited April 2015

Thanks @Anavrin, I should have been more specific in the post, for oils I've tried Olive, Sunflower, Vegetable and Crisp n' Dry and butter. I have seen the mention of coconut butter (not tried this).

Crisp n' Dry is the best so far (how much do you think I need for 160 litre wash?), but as I'm using beer style washes the head grows on heat up, so I think I need something a bit more industrial.

The company @Harry mentioned I have requested samples from, so it'll interesting to find out what they're like.

• Maybe it's due to all the air escaping as it comes to the boil, antifoaming agents won't stop this but if you get a bit more industrial when it comes to de gassing your wash, it might help a little.

With 160lt washes it sounds like you have a good size setup, what kit do you use, I'm guessing a pot still for whisky' or similar.

• edited April 2015

Just getting 4" Dash with 4 x Pro-bubble plates, Super Deph with 2" Long Condenser.

The parts should if I've got it right will make reflux and pot still.

• for my beer style washes, after yeast removal, I stir up the wash to release as much of the carbination as possible. It has stopped my pucking issues and haven't had to use any antifoaming agent.

• edited April 2015

@MikeAggie - Thanks, going to try that tomorrow.

• We are using a small amount of Fermcap-S

• I was sent a sample from Basildon Chemicals of Antifoam FD20P and it worked a treat.

8ml in a 160ltr boiler with a beer wash, agitated first to get out any co2 then added the antifoam.

Any foam that was on top disappeared almost instantly.

I'll keep adding it as I had a 100ml sample, but so far so good.

• Do I still need to add antifoam to low wines when I run a spirit run?

• I wouldn't ... but that's just me don't see a need when the wash has been run once and is devoid of gases...

• In addition to the CO2, the stripped wash doesn't contain any of the proteins and starches (and other compounds) that contribute to foaming problems.

• Anyone know how this stuff will effect backset/dunder?

• Would probably remain in the same concentration that it was dosed in. I've never read anything about it being degraded or digested, and the fact that it's relatively inert/stable is why it's used as a drug (simethicone specifically), even in babies.