StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

How many 4" Plates can a 2" Baby Dephlegmator drive?

edited July 2013 in Configuration

I am wondering how many 4inch plates can a 2inch big baby drive?

Comments

• I've never tried it so can't tell you for sure.
    Thinking you could keep maybe 3 or 4 plates loaded but a 2" dephlegmator will not be able to give you full reflux.
    It's an interesting question and I should try it someday but a little busy at the moment.

• I achieved full reflux on a little 2" dephleg with 2 plates, granted I had to turn the power down.

• The OP question was "drive" and I assume that meant achieving full reflux while being able to fully load the bubble cap plates.
    The Big Baby condenser was not designed to do this but if it can that would be amazing. I haven't tried to do this so I cannot offer any data, only encouragement to those that already have the equipment to test it out.

I personally think you are asking a lot of a 2" dephleg.
    Don't be so cheap, buy a 4" Dephlegmator and pee in the tall weeds with the big dogs.

• Thank you for the information Lloyd.

• I can get full reflux on 3 plates and a packed section, I put some packing in the big baby to help . 7.0 amps with a 4400 watt element @ 215-217 volts is about as hard as I can push it without vapor getting by. I have made a lot of very good neutral this way, but for what's its worth I'm upgrading to the 4" condenser.

• Excellent info LB, thanks for that. this is the type of feedback i'd really hoped this forum could generate. Actual figures from real users of like for like equipment.

TopStuffPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I reckon the more plates (hypothetical or otherwise) the easier to put the system into 100% reflux. Just a mater of determining/documenting the specifics. Surely would like to hear about Hawk's experience regarding this.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited May 2015

I have a baby 2" with 2 bubble plates and 2 perf plates on top. It loads all plates very well but with the amount of power pushing it isn't full reflux. But that being said I get 160 proof of of a 12% wash first run

terrys.jpg
    497 x 800 - 58K
  • Good looking rig @terry, I like that boiler especially

• That's a great looking rig. Very neatly done.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks guys. My first still. Undergoing the testing stage of what does and doesn't work lol. I need two more sections of glass without plates for column spacing. Other than that she works like a dream. If I do a stripping run then a secondary with dephlemegator on it turns out 95%. Love you guys parts. Gonna upgrade to the 12" column system when I get the distillery started. I am currently a small fuel plant permitted.

• 2" to 12" is only a single digit jump, right? ;-)

• That's right lol

• Hey does anyone know if they make a 8-10"ball with 4" flanges and Windows. Would love to have one of those before the 4 plate system

• I want one to that would be fun to experiment with

• hmmm.... an inside out CD with a blown glass ball and the struts on the inside... fun adjusting and tightening them, but cool, nonetheless

• edited May 2015

@terry said: Hey does anyone know if they make a 8-10"ball with 4" flanges and Windows. Would love to have one of those before the 4 plate system

Yes we can. Talk to your distributor. Bet we can do it in copper if you like too. <:-P

@CothermanDistilling said: hmmm.... an inside out CD with a blown glass ball and the struts on the inside... fun adjusting and tightening them, but cool, nonetheless

That may be a bit trickier. :))

• if things are so easy to get from a distributor, why is 8" CD glass only available about 2 days of the year?

• cause they sell like warm buns B-)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• if you are a restaurant serving warm buns only 2 days a year.... well...

• edited May 2015

I have 8" CD glass in stock.

If you are a restaurant selling food, sometimes you will run out of some items but still have others. people may choose to eat something else or preorder warm buns when they are available.

All i said was that the items Terry was asking about were now available and could be special ordered by talking to his distributor. He asked if anyone makes it and i said yes, we do. I didn't expect to get my head snapped off for offering service.

• edited May 2015

@CothermanDistilling said: if things are so easy to get from a distributor, why is 8" CD glass only available about 2 days of the year?

Out of the 100 pcs that were ordered for North America, only half were sent.

And out of the half, we had to cull a large percentage for some unacceptable imperfections. I will absolutely guarantee that the quality of glass moving forward will far exceed anything we have previously taken delivery on.

We have 100 /8" pcs almost ready to be delivered with 300 more pcs behind that.

So sorry for the delay.

• @terry said: Hey does anyone know if they make a 8-10"ball with 4" flanges and Windows. Would love to have one of those before the 4 plate system

At the moment I have drawings and pricing for copper helmets for 4, 5, 6, 8, and 12 inch column connections and a 2" vapor outlet.

I also have pricing and drawings for a copper onion with 8 and 12 inch ferrules.

And finally I have a drawing and pricing for a 12 inch SS ball.

• Prices for 4" inlet/outlet ???

• I will get that for you.

• Cue AC DC Big Balls

• And one for me! 4" ported expansion chamber would surely be a hot commodity at the right price.

• Yep I would love to have 4" ported expansion chamber let me know if you place an order!

• Smaugy may yet develop "Big Balls"... if you all have a little faith in him.... B-)

• This thread sure went to shit in a hurry.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.