StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Whats in your Glass?

Comments

• So...I'm shocked by the talk of "Factory Booze."

Saturday night I went to a charity event and paid a big fee for a dinner, open bar and band.

Dinner was good the band was great and the booze was Factory all the way...

I started off with a gin and tonic, not too bad. The Tequila's were o.k. And I can say I tried every whiskey they had with water and ice...they were all shit.

So, I tried some of the novelty stuff...Crown Maple, Crown Apple, tasted so "synthetic" I couldn't finish them. Crown Black was passable.

Maker's is passable for me. JD...went unfinished.

Sunday had my own gin and shook my head.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• And on Sunday, after all of that tasting the night before, you were still able to drink more? You da man, Dad.

• Hmmmm...waited till after noon.

• My latest batch of gin. I am really getting it dialed in.
    This time I got the gin basket botanical charge very close to what I want. Licorice adds a surprising amount of sweetness without adding a lot of licorice candy flavor.

The change I made on this run was doing a reboil of some leftover one-note-songs of juniper, corriander, and angelica as the base spirit. Methinks there may be something worthwhile in the reboil concept.

It's only a couple of hours old and it is delicious. Can't wait to see how it is after a couple of weeks of resting.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• My first own apple vodka made from apple juice sugar wash. Two blends, one clean hearts, the other with some more early and late hearts. Both are just lovely, the clean one is my favorite, just a scent of apple, a truly fabulous apple vodka, the other with quite some more flavor, a little more like apple brandy. Non of the two causes headaches or hangover, and I really think both could be sold in that condition without problems (not as if that would be my intention). :ar!

I consider myself a newbie - Thank you for your patience!

• @Kapea, just to be clear is that's a reboil of a vapour infused single note?

• Koval millet whiskey in toasted barrel..

koval_millet_whiskey_in_toasted_barrel.jpg
    600 x 800 - 72K
  • One of my favorites, it's got an interesting fruity rum character I think, a very light whiskey.

• I second that. Truly something out off the ordinary!

• edited May 2015

@TheMechWarrior said: Kapea, just to be clear is that's a reboil of a vapour infused single note?

Yes. I had a few liters of all juniper, all coriander, and all angelica infusions (stock solutions) that I used for determining approximate ratios by blending them. I've gotten past the blending phase and have started dialing in my all-in-one gin basket charges. So I decided to reboil the stock solutions as the base spirit for my latest gin attempt. It worked very well.

So well that I've been staring at the clock all day today, waiting for cocktail hour to arrive...

• @CothermanDistilling said: Koval millet whiskey in toasted barrel..

Interesting color.

• edited May 2015

Urine? Almost wonder if it wouldn't be more palatable if you carbon filtered the color out after aging.

• fun to compare toasted to charred... especially when my very first whiskey was in a toasted 5gal barrel for 14-15 months (way too long), but everyone loved it... I have about 1oz left somewhere in a bottle that I will drink when we sell our first legit bottle ;-)

• @CothermanDistilling said: fun to compare toasted to charred... especially when my very first whiskey was in a toasted 5gal barrel for 14-15 months (way too long), but everyone loved it... I have about 1oz left somewhere in a bottle that I will drink when we sell our first legit bottle ;-)

So what is your preference? Toasted or charred?

• like ice cream, I like chocolate and vanilla ;-)

Saying that, toasted lets you taste the spirit more, but requires a cleaner spirit going into the barrel, for obvious reasons...

• On a different note, where are you getting your barrels from?

• have orders with barrel mill and black swan... #2/#3 char mix, should be getting first shipments in October/November... plan on getting 4 5's and 15's.. every three months from each for now......

that first barrel was a wine barrel from the homebrew store, before I knew the difference between char and toast.....

• Hopefully I will be able to start putting some whiskey up in barrels when I get my new Dragon.

• edited May 2015

edelweiss_alkoholfrei.jpg
    600 x 800 - 45K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Well it looks like proper beer but the label reveals the lie.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• How did you get black swan to give you anything? I've been pestering them forever. Just picked up a pallet of 10s from Barrel Mill, I like those guys.

• @grim said: How did you get black swan to give you anything?

They have been struggling to keep up with demand and also putting together their operation to cut their own staves.....Plus its hard to find good help when you are a family operation if you see my meaning?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited May 2015

image.jpg
    800 x 500 - 41K
  • @grim said: How did you get black swan to give you anything? I've been pestering them forever. Just picked up a pallet of 10s from Barrel Mill, I like those guys.

i looked again, it is nov-jan for first shipment from BS ;-) and june/july of this year for BM...

• @grim said: image

Yep. I follow.

Growing pains.

• Finally ready to drink:

Chocolate Cherry Imperial Stout

The tart cherry flavor goes very well with the stout

chocolate_cherry_imperial_stout.jpg
    600 x 800 - 47K
  • Sounds great.

That Kasteel Rouge taste like cough medicine on it's own. But a dolop in a chocolate porter is good too.

• Grain to glass rye from tasmania...

rye.jpg
    528 x 800 - 52K
  • Is that the real bottle or just something for the journey?

• edited May 2015

Snap!

They are dodgy little sample bottles made from plastic. 4 nips per bottle.

rye.jpg
    800 x 600 - 57K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand