StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Tri-Clamp Connection

Is a tri-clamp a tri-clamp?? Are they all the same as far as connecting goes? I wanted to order some copper pipe extensions and a few other add-ons that say they are tri-clamp style connection but I want to make sure they will work with the existing SD equipment.

Comments

• Unfortunately not. So far as i know there are at least 4 different styles that superficially look like tri-clamps. Slightly different dimensions so it pays to check.

• edited April 2015

Tri-clamp = tri-clamp = tri-clover = sanitary fitting = ISO 2852

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• In short: no, SD tri-clamps fit perfectly on SD gear and they are high quality. Which is something to consider when dealing with alcohol vapors.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Tri clamp, H line, HDI line, Garolla, metric, imperial, SH, SSH, ASME.

Some are compatible, but some are not!

• @kapea Are you saying if I order anything in the USA that is made under ISO 2852 that it will fit the SD gear?

• @sunshine

I see that EU standards that are followed look like they are :

"Tri-clamp pipe made of stainless steel in 8 inch according BS 4825 with a length of 200 mm / 7.87 inch, which is compatible with all of our products with 8 inch tri-clamp flange connection."

• edited April 2015

@shindig said: kapea Are you saying if I order anything in the USA that is made under ISO 2852 that it will fit the SD gear?

Water bottling plants and breweries use tri clamp sanitary stainless fittings and pipe. I know for certain that these pipes and fittings are interchangeable with SD tri clamp pipes and fittings.

All measurements must match in the measurement system being used, e.g. 2" to 2" or 30mm to 30mm, etc.

Different manufacturers have different cosmetic details, but the critical dimensions are uniform. ISO 2852:1993

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I regularly mix Triclamp and Tri Clover, ferrules, spools, clamps and gaskets...they are 100% compatible. There is another brand also...slipped my mind.

Garolla (Italian) is a dif bevel and larger gasket surfaces. I have only seen some wineries using it in the U.S. I have seen Garolla to Triclamp adapters on some brewer hardware sites.

If I found a free Garolla Tank in the alley, I might think of mixing it in.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• There has always been a lot of confusions about the proper clamp/ferrule sizes. Even the factories most often have no idea what this is all about. We have never heard of an ISO reference to our type of clamp size here in Europe, it has always only been stated as BS 4825. It already happened, that someone bought a ferrule or clamp somewhere else only to find out that it did not fit with our equipment. The easiest solution is to get it all from one hand, then it's ensured it all will fit together just nicely. ;)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited April 2015

I've never checked before, and never had a problem, probably have 500 tri-clamp bits from various manufacturers.

Tri-Clover is a trademarked name, probably the first company to have come up with the design. They are owned by Alfa Laval now.

Tri-Clamp is the name that other companies came up with to signify compatibility with those other products, without infringing on trademarks.

• They used to have three sides instead of two hence the 'tri'. I have some with two hinges. They're just standard sanitary fittings. Almost all of Au use either Tri or BSM. Pharma like tri more, dairy prefer BSM.

• daddad
    edited April 2015

I recently ran into some 4.5" stuff...that sucked!

Triclamp mm.jpg
    480 x 212 - 24K

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• SD USA said to just make sure it's ISO 2852. That should be fine.

• @shindig said: SD USA said to just make sure it's ISO 2852. That should be fine.

I did some research a while ago on how to name our clamp standard, and also standards are partly interchangeable for the outcome, referring to our clamp in ISO 2852 just does not make sense, because it's nomination is in Diametre Nominal DN (mm) and not in inch. You can find tables like the following all over the net:

clamps.png
    337 x 493 - 33K

• For the SD ferrules 2" internal dia of the tube socket is 54mm 3" internal dia of the tube socket is 79.6mm 4" internal dia of the tube socket is 105mm

• @shindig said: Is a tri-clamp a tri-clamp?? Are they all the same as far as connecting goes? I wanted to order some copper pipe extensions and a few other add-ons that say they are tri-clamp style connection but I want to make sure they will work with the existing SD equipment.

I have bought 304 and 316 SS tri-clamp or tri-clover sanitary fittings made in china and some from US manufactures and so far they have matched up but I have seen some advertised for sale that don't look the same as what I have.