Fijoa Vodka

edited April 2015 in Cookbook

Anyone done a fijoa vodka, wondering if adding fijoa's to wash or macerating after doing a stripping run is best...

Comments

• I like fijoa macerations ~ my wife hates it.

After something like 30 days, with some sugar added it's great.

I suggest you put x-amount in a litre of neutral and do another batch with twice the amount of fijoa ~ that way you'll learn what you like.

• Hi, Can you describe the flavor? I am not familiar with figoa.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Luckyliqueur have you tried re-distilling after macerating?

• I sometimes call it Fijoa Brandy. That's as close as I can get to describe the flavour.

I have a bad sense of smell and don't pick-up on what my wife describes as, the medicinal smell.

If I had my own tree I might try a re-distill of the maceration; but as I have to buy my fruit I'm happy to just leave it to the maceration.

Fijoa is big in New Zealand and I just saw them coming to sale at an Aussie organic market yesterday . . . . . about 80cent each.

• Much sugar?

• Here's a link to one way of making it.

And now for something completely different… feijoa vodka! @ Sum in horto

In most recipes I try for the first time, I reduce their recommended sugar to half, or their quarters. You can always add more suger later if it aint sweet enough.

• Kiwi over on Artisan has made it a bit, i've never got enough fruit off the tree i planted to be able to try. Bastard drops the fruit every season, plus they are susceptible to fly.

I would have thought it was pretty popular in NZ with the abundance over there. Have you tried youtube and google as well?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Smaug said: Hi, Can you describe the flavor? I am not familiar with figoa.

Feijoa are a semi-tropical citrus-like fruit -- green and about the size of a lime. The taste to me is similar to a tart, slightly sour and somewhat gritty and less sweet kiwifruit. They can be very good, though the taste often takes some getting used to for those new to them.

Some people eat the skin as well as the fruit. Others scoop the inside out with a spoon (my personal favorite).

As far as maceration vs. wash, both can be good; depends entirely on what you're after. The maceration will be stronger; a distilled wash will be more subtle. Try them both!

• Kk thank you.