StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Water Chemistry

edited November 2014 in Recipes

hi all. Has anyone done any experimentation as to what water to dilute the 95%abv neutral wash with? Does 'soft' water make a difference? Distilled? Filtered? Reverse osmosis? Mineral water? Exotic Italian water? Varying pH? Would appreciate comments thanks.

Comments

• Distilled I think is best. Cut some with bottled spring water that was enhanced with minerals and instant cloudy hooch.

• Dustin over at Citrus Distillers loves his RO.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited November 2014

I'll see your RO and raise you an RO/DI.

• Love your work thanks guys

• +1 for distilled, but RO should give about the same results if you are willing to spring for a filter setup

• edited April 2015

Filtered rainwater is what I use. <5ppm TDS

Typical reverse osmosis salt rejection is 98%, e.g. RO permeate from a 200ppm TDS tap water would be around 4ppm TDS.

Unless you are making printed circuits or your own laboratory reagents, adding a DI resin column to the back end of your RO stream is a waste of money.

You can find 5gal/day "under counter" RO systems at big box stores for around $150US.

Rain falls out of the sky for free.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Distilled. Nothing else here.

• Given that many people rave about 'branch water', I think if the water is pleasant, and does not have a lot of TDS in it, you will be fine...

I use tap water sent through a sediment and 3 carbon filers very slowly.. about 1-2 gal/hr... I just took the RO part out of an RO filter unit, but kept the flow limiter.. I ended up with this setup because something with the chlorine/chloramine ruined our RO tank and I assume the membrane... during a kitchen remodel, I found that the water in the tank was band-aid x1000 and the small post-tank carbon filter was trying to do all the work, and didn't do that good of a job of it at that... I will upgrade to a fiberglass tank filled with 1cuft of GAC this year if you have chloramines, they say you should use catalytic carbon...

• You can filter chloramines out with activated carbon. It just needs a long contact time.
    RO membranes are destroyed by chlorine in the feedwater.

• For you eggheads out there who want to geek out:
    Catalytic carbon vs standard GAC for chloramine removal

• edited April 2015

You can buy water from icebergs, its bloody dear. Its (Edit I did have 30) 10 euro for 700ml. Anyone tried diluting with that? I have had an ice cube from the Antarctic and it certainly tastes completely different than any other ice or water I have ever tasted.

• Depending on where you are, you might be able to find a water lab that has a homebrew water analysis. Usually runs about $20-40usd. With a little web research you can find out exactly what kind of filtration you need. In some cases, it could be nothing.

And for the super nerds, read the book Water: A comprehensive guide for brewers by Palmer and Kaminski.

I use RO/DI, but then again, I had the unit from something else, so there wasn't a cost to get it.

• I built my water distiller, cost me $12 for a kettle to get the element, cheap and easy.

• @Mickiboi said: You can buy water from icebergs, its bloody dear. Its (Edit I did have 30) 10 euro for 700ml. Anyone tried diluting with that? I have had an ice cube from the Antarctic and it certainly tastes completely different than any other ice or water I have ever tasted.

According to all of the alarmists in our country, those have all melted now so they won't be available.

• @Kapea said: For you eggheads out there who want to geek out:
    Catalytic carbon vs standard GAC for chloramine removal

thanks! that is better than the stuff I found... I am lucky I now live in a city that just uses chlorine now... getting a 1cuft GAC filter..

• Lots of interesting stuff on that website.
    Joe Bob says, "Check it out!"

• I read that book by Palmer, it is a fairly technical breakdown of water chemistry and means to correct virtually any water condition