Downcomers on Dash 4"

Should the downcomers on my Dash all line up vertically so the liquid drops all the way back to the boiler or do I offset them so it just falls to the tray below? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited April 2015

I just had a similar question about my 4" procap Ts. Check this thread out:

ProCap Downcomer Dingle-Dangle Thingies

Short answer; you don't want the reflux to drip through. You want it to be retained on the plate below.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Put them completely opposite each other so reflux travels right across the plate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• With the three caps on a 4" plate, the most offset possible is 60 degrees.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited April 2015

Thank you @punkin. That's how I originally put the still together but after reading stuff on another forum I wasn't quite sure. Their reasoning was that the condensed liquid should be returned to the boiler so it can begin it's long journey up the plates again to separate the lighter vapour from the heavier ones. I shouldn't read other forums, it feels like I'm cheating on StillDragon.

• There is no point in dropping back down more than one plate level. It would be wastefully inefficient and also very likely promote smearing.

Dropping high proof back to the primary kettle is particularly wasteful.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Thank you. Question answered

• @Mickiboi said: Should the downcomers on my Dash all line up vertically so the liquid drops all the way back to the boiler or do I offset them so it just falls to the tray below? Thanks in advance.

Line them up in such a way that its easy to see the flow dropping onto the lower plates through the sight glasses, unless you are lucky enough to have the crystal dragon, then it wont matter as long as they are roughly alternating sides. I like to have a sight glass under the first plate with the down comer in the front center position, this is so I can see whats returning to the boiler, as well as checking that I'm not foaming up or applying too much power for boil ups.

fadge

• Thanks @fadge. I have a sight glass I will put that in, wasn't sure where it should go.

• @Moonshine can you split this thread please? My original question was answered very early on with a totally satisfactory explanation and this thread now seems to have gone completely astray. Thanks. Perhaps call the split thread Procaps v bubble caps, the debate still rages on. This comment will self destruct in 60 minutes. Good luck on your mission.

• edited April 2015

@Mickiboi said: Moonshine can you split this thread please? My original question was answered very early on with a totally satisfactory explanation and this thread now seems to have gone completely astray. Thanks. Perhaps call the split thread Procaps v bubble caps, the debate still rages on. This comment will self destruct in 60 minutes. Good luck on your mission.

>>> Done <<<

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum