StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Oak chips vs. dominoes

I'm planning my next SD order and have been eyeballing the oak dominoes. So far, I've only experimented with chips and am still trying to dial in the right amount (currently 1 Tbsp per fifth/liter) Checking to see what other people are thinking about?

Comments

• I have been using dominoes after a lot of research and trail and error , I have come to like for my taste 22 inches a quart, I got a deal on JD wood chips at Walmart and have been wanting to give them a try but I have been wanting to weight them per Qt/liter and have been searching around the forms for info.

• I've been using between 30 and 40 grams of the JD chips per quart/litre. It gives a much different result than oak that does not come from a used barrel. I would be hesitant to use them for anything other than Bourbon-ish drinks.

• edited March 2015

There's a pretty comprehensive comparo here. You could try asking the participants to write a conclusion?
    There's been plenty of time pass and it would be a nice wrap up to the thread.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2015

@punkin said: There's a pretty comprehensive comparo here. You could try asking the participants to write a conclusion?
    There's been plenty of time pass and it would be a nice wrap up to the thread.

I will not buy or use chips again, dominoes stand out as the winners hands down.

Different taste and a hell of a lot more pleasant to consume.

You may need to play around with the types to match your product style, or just seek @punkin's advice, it was pretty spot on for me.

And I will do a final write up shortly.

fadge

• Been using them for about 6 months now and think they are great. I use the American oak mini staves for whiskey and rum. Don't have a set amount per liter, I just take them out when the color looks right and it always turns out.

• Chips are shit go the dominoes a much better flavor without those nasty tannins. I mix and match the charred, toasted and vanilla ones. All you need to do then is nail down your grams per liter and your away!

• Cool! Thanks for the input.
    Will get some & try it with my next run

• I will not buy or use chips again, dominoes stand out as the winners hands down. Different taste and a hell of a lot more pleasant to consume.

Same. Started using a few dominoes recently. Really convenient compared to the kegs I use. Chips are way to harsh IMO.

• Timely comments everyone. Thanks. I just received six various blocks and staves and will add tasting notes and photos as I progress as well. Cheers

• Given a choice, without considering cost, barrel is first choice, dominoes are second choice....chips I just would not consider...way too much end grain IMHO

• SASSAS
    edited March 2015

My First UJSSM Spirit Run / First Oaking I put one 5 1/2" X 1 1/8" X 1/2" stick of Eastern White Oak that was toasted for 2 hours at 400F and then charred into 750ML of 62%ABV UJSSM. After one week it tasted very good to me. Too much oak per volume? For how long do I let it soak? It hasn't been two weeks since the spirit run yet. Suggestions and criterion to think about when making a deciding when to stop the oak soak?

• I actually use 2 dominoes per liter of 65abv so you are pretty close to what I do. I just leave mine in until the color gets right. You will get a feel for it after a while. To me when the color is right, so is the flavor. If you over oak it somehow, just put it in a closet to age. It should settle down.

• edited March 2015

I guess I am a heathen. I buy chunk wood meant for smoking/grilling at the local big box hardware store and toast my own dominoes. (If I didn't live so far from SD hey you I'd buy oak dominoes from @punkin)

Neutral aged on medium-dark toasted cherrywood is the most requested libation from my bar. It is light reddish pink in color, and tastes, lightly, like a pecan praline.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.