StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

How hard can I push an Ace / Baby Crystal Dragon

edited March 2015 in Usage

Hi guys

Just a quick one, how much power do you think the Ace/Baby CD can handle, I run mine for the first time on Sunday, I have a 2-4-2 torpedo, three 2.5" crystal plates and a 510mm section packed with stainless pot scrubbers, I found that 1.8kw and the RC valve open just under half a turn, give me a nice clean product at 1.2 lt/hr, the vapour temp was a constant 82.5°c throughout the run and I was getting around 92-93% on the parrot, my question is, can I run it harder and increase my output rate without spoiling the product with tails or affecting the ABV%

I'd be happy with 1.5 lt/hr, I'm just worried I'll spoil the product if I run it too hard, also if anyone has a similar setup, is 92-93% about right for 4 plate and a 510mm packed section or could I hit azeotrope with a few adjustments?

Comments

• edited March 2015

Its an interesting question, that would depend on boiler size. 4 plates on a 50litre boiler is comfortable at 2200kw. After that it will begin to flood the top plate, we didn't notice any difference in the ABV or quality. The extra reflux from the packed section could make a difference as well.

• Maybe try taking out the filter disc in your packed section if you have one there. Depending on packing material and density, some people have said the filter disc can cause flooding at higher power levels.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2015

Hi @rossco,

Yes, I have a 50lt boiler with a 3kw electric element, so I guess I could possibly push it a little harder to get a higher output rate so long as it doesn't affect the quality, that was my main concern, I do have a question about flooding, is it always the top plate that floods first?

I have 3 crystal sections with a pro cap in the bottom of each, I've moved them all up so they're on the top of each crystal section, the idea is to see if it fits so I can add another cap in the bottom, 4 pro caps in 3 sections, I guess I'll just have to be careful as I can no longer see the top of the top cap anymore, but it fits :-)

top_cap.jpg
    600 x 800 - 68K
  • edited March 2015

Hi @punkin,

I discovered the SD 2" filter disk floods quite easily during my cleaning runs so I never used it again, here's a pic of the 10 mesh viton gasket I use next to the SD version.

mesh_viton_gasket.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K
  • I'll wait till moonshine comes past with his broom to shrink the pic mate, but we may look at changing out the discs for a larger mesh at some stage. They work well in certain applications but are not a solution for all methods.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Do others successfully use a procap and plate at the top of the CD like in my earlier pic

• I do with old caps and 4" @Anavrin

• edited March 2015

@Anavrin said: Yes, I have a 50lt boiler with a 3kw electric element, so I guess I could possibly push it a little harder to get a higher output rate so long as it doesn't affect the quality, that was my main concern, I do have a question about flooding, is it always the top plate that floods first?

Yes. Which is interesting because on my 4" is is more likely to be the bottom or top, but can be any of them. Guess procaps just flow better and there is too much reflux for the amount of vapor coming up the column. Either way there is a real sweet spot at the low 2kw mark.

• Keep in mind the Baby was designed as a counter top momma still, slow is best, I run one w 6 plates and a lot other folks here run with 4 and combinations or 4 plates and spp like @FullySilenced . I find that 2 L hr is optimum, near max for such a lil column. To increase output rate is best to increase column diameter.

• 2l/hr is more than I was looking for to be honest, with my old 2" Packed column 1.2l/hr was about max and id be more than happy with 1.6l/hr, it would cut my spirit run time by about 25%

• If your happy with 1.6 you should be able to get that... depending on the ABV your shooting for ...

• Old thread I know, but for the sake of others who may still be wondering...I am currently getting 2.4L/Hr out of Baby with 7 plates and packed section making neutral. I use gas burner for heat. Any harder than this and top plate floods.

• Where can we get the 10 mesh Viton gasket from? and how much does it cost?

Cheers

BM

• @Oldhoon said: Where can we get the 10 mesh Viton gasket from? and how much does it cost?

10 mesh Viton gasket @ LMGTFY

• @CothermanDistilling said: 10 mesh Viton gasket @ LMGTFY

Thanks for the lesson, however I have already done that and was referring to in Australia.

• That is still your best bet.. China is closer to you than it is most of us, LOL...
    Google Maps Location