After The Spirit Run: What Do You Do With What's Left In the Boiler?

SASSAS
edited March 2015 in Usage

Ditch, or is there some future use for it?

I just finished my first spirit run of three stripped batches of UJSSM. I ran my pot still slowly and it took about four hours to get to where stopped. I added to three gallons of water to two gallons of 50% ABV stripping run. One gallon of spirit came out after ditching the foreshots; 80% down to 55%. My temps ranged from 182F up to 197F during the run.

Are there any uses for what's left over in the boiler?

Comments

• edited March 2015

Backset for the next ferment, sour mash style :)

• Smell it from the spirit run, you'll know immediately what to do with it.

I couldn't think of a use for that sort of skanky stuff if i tried.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Spirit runs I chuck it out as @punkin said its no good for anything.

The stripping runs are different, you can use the liquid (backset) like @clickeral said for inverting sugar/sour mash/next generations

fadge

• @Clickeral said: Backset for the next ferment, sour mash style :)

Do you use your backset from the spirit run or the stripping run or both? Around here we just use what's left from the stripping run.

• I wouldn't recommend using the leftovers from a SPIRIT run for backset. I pour mine in the drive to kill the grass

• edited March 2015

@FloridaCracker said: Do you use your backset from the spirit run or the stripping run or both? Around here we just use what's left from the stripping run.

Sorry Misread the post haha I tend to do single runs in my bubbler unless I am doing vodka, I don't reuse whats in the boiler if I double distill