StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Changing to Electric

I will change my heating of my 100 L boiler from gas to electric.
I have only one port, would 5500 W be enough ?
How long would it take to heat up 80 L of wash ?

M.

Comments

• What is your starting temp of the wash and what is the boiling point temp based on the % wash? You need to know both to calculate heat up time.

• Starting temp is around 28 C, temperature on top of the boiler +/- 86-87 C.

• Ok so 5500 W should be enough power to run it. You probably will want to have a power controller like the ones BigPa builds because you may not want to run the full 5500w during the run. As far as heat-up time. It really depends on the efficiency of how well insulated your boiler is. But it would take around 1:00 hour to an 1:15 to heat 80 L from from 28C to 87C. Plus or minus depending on how much heat you bleed from the outside of your boiler.

• Ok, thanks RDD. I live in the tropics, so the ambient temperature is around 40 C. Also with gas it takes me that time, I don't use full power. I was looking at the DIY contollers @ stilldragon, can't beat that price !

M.

• No problem. Glad I could help.

• +1 on on Big Pa's controllers. 5500w on 50L takes around 45min starting at 26-28c. The dials so sensitive and much easier to control than gas and safer. If you could get 2 5500w and turn one off when you get to operating temp, it might speed up your process.

• edited July 2013

I wonder if somebody uses this type of dual temp controller.
    Looks interesting that you change directly the temp of you wash.

• @nvnovrts said: +1 on on Big Pa's controllers. 5500w on 50L takes around 45min starting at 26-28c. The dials so sensitive and much easier to control than gas and safer. If you could get 2 5500w and turn one off when you get to operating temp, it might speed up your process.

He is away for a while according his webside and will come back with some new stuff.

• Unfortunately health problems has caused him to retire. Please source your bigger controllers elsewhere.

• @Lloyd said: Unfortunately health problems has caused him to retire. Please source your bigger controllers elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that, I read he was having eye surgery. Wish him all the best a good recovery !!

M.

• sorry to hear that. he makes some quality controllers.

• From what he's posted elsewhere sounds like he'll be back in the swing of things eventually.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• If anyone needs help wiring a DIY kit, please PM me

• edited July 2013

IMHO, the SD Basic controller kit is an excellent value! Adding a fan, ON/OFF and bypass switches, and meters for volt (and maybe amp) would give a deluxe setup. These also look like a good deal for a basic voltage regulator:

10000W 220v Adjust SCR Voltage Regulator Motor Speed control Dimmer Thermostat

• edited July 2013

Planning to buy this heater for my 100 L boiler, so I have also some copper in my wash. It is rated 208 W, is this a problem for 220 V ?

Thanks,

Rheem SP10872QL Element 15 1/16" 208V/6000W Copper Resistored LWD

• I wouldn't use it with your rum. I recon it would corrode quickly

• edited July 2013

Agreed,will not take long to get et up by the acids!

It is what you make it!

• Ok, thanks guy's, I was already afraid for that.

• edited September 2013

Yesterday I did my best distilling run ever. I was running a SD 1, 3 bubble plate with my new DIY controller. I was able to take off @ 92.7 (+/- 0.2) during all the run, VERY stable. 2 things that I changed were, going electric isolating my boiler and column. I still run in the half open and that isolation is helping a lot, besides the better fine tuning with electric. Next time I will change my 1/2" needle valve with a needle valve with a rate of CV 0.30. This will allow my much greater control of my cooling water temp. It is amazing how good my tails are separated/compressed now. I have more product now after cutting. It took me 8 hours to finish, longer then normal. Next time I will take off at 0.5° less. A very, very happy distiller and thanks for everybody here for helping me.

M-

sd1_column_3_plates.jpg
    600 x 800 - 76K
  • 1 or 2 plates more and you should be able to boost your collection speed without compromising your purity. 90% is a real nice zone with a nice brite feel that also opens up nicely when diluted back down.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• xls
    xls
    Electric_Heat_Calculator.xls
  • @moscca, it looks like you have developed a quick on / quick off insulating jacket for your bubble tees. Looks great!
    Details please.

• edited September 2013

@Lloyd, just some leftovers form heat insulating my roof. It squeezes a bit between the tri-clamps and the between the side glass and the column. Keeps in place with no aid.

Takes no time to install/remove.

photo (6).JPG
    800 x 600 - 108K
  • @moscca, can you tell me more about this material, who makes it, where did you get it and maybe cost . Thanks! CH

• @Mossca have you noticed any benefits to insulating your column i know you had troubles with wind once but i thought you sorted that out i like the simple template which you have come up with also

• edited September 2013

Prodex AP10 (PDF)

It is in Spanish, but is is simple insulation, 10 mm thick. You can cut it easy with scissors.

@cooperville, now I can run my column even more stable. Now I run @ +/- 0.2°C max. I never had such a good tails separation.
    Next year I will build a 40M2 distillery in the back of my garden. Then I will be able to distill inside. My still is protected by 2 canases but you always have some air flowing. Before, when it was cloudy with periods of sun, I had to adapt the cooling water when the sun was coming through.

pdf
    pdf
    Prodex_AP10.pdf
    1M
  • @moscca, thanks for the info on the insulation, looks like something I will be doing soon. I went to prodexcr.com, they have a british flag on the upper right hand corner of the home page, so I was able to browse the site translated to english. I am hoping to find someone who carries the same/or similar product in the US to wrap my dash2 with.

• Thanks @moscca, I haven't seen that material before but will be keeping an eye out for it.

• Here is the product in the USA...