StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Hands up those that like pizza???

edited February 2015 in Cookbook

I mean home made pizza....over the years I've tried to find a recipe for a good tomato base sauce. I've had a go myself at a recipe, but never hit it..always something missing. Then I hit on this recipe here, it's out of this world, it has to be the fennel seeds in there that make it what it is. I make a pot up now, cook it slow and long but keep an eye on it, I use it that day when I make the pizza and what's left goes in to the freezer ready for the next one. ;)

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom

Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate

Comments

• +1 on pizza! Is it time for dinner yet? And where is that hungry smiley when you need one? :-w

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• First. I live in China and I find this post offensive because I crave pizza.
    Second. Its almost impossible to find the ingredients. And I love pizza.
    Third, I love pizza.

Pizza Hut here serves pizza without cheese or sauce but does slather on corn and green peas.

There is a GodFather's pizza here that does the same. The horror, the horror.

• @Moonshine said: And where is that hungry smiley when you need one? :-w

imageimageimageimageimage

1.gif
    81 x 73 - 23K
    2.gif
    90 x 97 - 61K
    3.gif
    135 x 135 - 98K
    4.gif
    135 x 135 - 195K
    5.gif
    135 x 132 - 87K

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Lloyd said: First. I live in China and I find this post offensive because I crave pizza.
    Second. Its almost impossible to find the ingredients. And I love pizza.

What you can't find the ingredients for the sauce??

Third, I love pizza.

I agree with that

Pizza Hut here serves pizza without cheese or sauce but does slather on corn and green peas.

Yuk..... :-&

There is a GodFather's pizza here that does the same. The horror, the horror.

You poor man...my heart goes out to you.. ;)

• A Chinese kitchen does not have an oven.
    Mozzarella cheese is impossible to find.
    The sauce I think I could do but without an oven or mozzarella what would be the point?

• I make pizzas on the bbq grill. It works well.

@Lloyd have you considered making your own cheese?

Having spent time living in far away lands, I know how one comes to crave comfort food from back home. Where there's a will there's a way!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Looks the business. I make my own bases and sausage but just use the squeezie bottles of pizza sauce.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I make the bases, but you have to try this sauce if you have time. I love to do sausage stuffed crust.... >:D<

• edited February 2015

I'd love to build a masonry wood-fired oven in my back yard. Obsession with yeast includes bread and dough, pizza as well. The oven or range in the kitchen just doesn't get hot enough.

I've used the grill before, and prepped it by filling the box with bricks, and soap stone sheet over the grates, but can't ever seem to push it over 500 or 550 degrees F. I know it would be better if I could push it up to 700 or 800F.

• I'd love to build a clay oven, some friends have a brick oven in their back yard, the food that comes out.. :x

• store bought wheat and bread flour, kosher salt, filtered water, bread yeast, kitchen-aid stand mixer, calibrated oven... sauce made from a # 10 can of crushed tomatoes added to simmerred onion, garlic and garden herbs, cooked in a crock pot for 4 hours and placed into mason jars to seal as they cool... rise for an hour, punch down and roll out, place sauce, sauteed veggies, and seasoned ground pork(<--fennel) on it and let it rise in oven for 45 minutes... turn on oven and cook for 20 min, swap upper and lower, cook 15 minutes, move from pans to screens, cook another 5-10 minutes, remove from oven, grate cheese, cut, and enjoy...

cothermans_pizza_service.jpg
    600 x 803 - 60K
  • @Lloyd... with the right maximum duty cycle on your PID to protect the elements, a SD boiler with a manway and electric elements could heat the air to 350-375.. if it has an agitator, it is a convection oven ;-) throw in a stainless rack and a few fire bricks, and a great pizza oven....

• Shoot Lloyd we should have had some pizza when you visited. The little outdoor place where we had martinis makes a really good pie as well as a fantastic salumi board.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Icefever said: I'd love to build a clay oven, some friends have a brick oven in their back yard, the food that comes out.. :x

+1 we have 2 range style cookers in our kitchen, 1 oil and 1 electric, but a wood fired oven down in the orchard next to the cabin is high on my retirement job list.

I have visions of a wood fired oven with a back boiler. Fresh bread with fresh grappa. YUM!!

• With a pizza stone you can do a quick and easy workaround on a bbq grill while you wait to retire and build those bucket list projects.

• Second that! Pizza stone + good gas grill makes an awesome thin crust pizza that's ready in 3 minutes.

• Wife makes scratch pizza at least once a week.

My fav involves a pretzel dough crust, vegies, mushrooms and Alfredo sauce. WOW...

Making Mozzarella is pretty easy...but hows the getting whole milk situation? Goat milk works too.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• I'll be trying this real soon, we have been planning a pizza night shortly, i will certainly impress if i do it on the barbie.

Be a hero if when we're camping with the boys i can produce custom pizzas to order. B-)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Myles said: I have visions of a wood fired oven with a back boiler. Fresh bread with fresh grappa. YUM!!

Now that would be a thing to behold...two birds with one stone... ;)

@dad said: Wife makes scratch pizza at least once a week.
    My fav involves a pretzel dough crust, vegies, mushrooms and Alfredo sauce. WOW... Making Mozzarella is pretty easy...but hows the getting whole milk situation? Goat milk works too.

I like to do pizza once a week also, we have a family bakers not 100 mts from us...I pop in there for fresh yeast as I find it better than dried. The proving time is half that of the dried stuff...I like the sound of pretzel dough...any chance of the recipe??

• Got the dough in the bread machine mixing now. Smoked pork knuckle, home made cabanossi, chunky mozzarella, sundried tommies and roasted peppers and herbs from the garden.

I couldn't resist.

I will let you know how the pizza stone BBQ thing goes.

• edited February 2015

I build a mesquite fire in my bbq for pizza. A bit more effort, but the flavor beats the shit out of propane fire. Mesquite burns long and hot. Perfect for pizza.

Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for at least a day. It still ferments slowly (internal fermentation heat pockets?). The fermentation adds to the flavor and chewiness of the crust.

• edited February 2015

The oil fired cooker is good for all sorts of bread and pizza. I have a stone slab I sometimes put in it. I still want a real wood fired oven though. The gas / electric on the other side of the kitchen is for when you need a temperature other than HOT.

;)

myles_kitchen.jpg
    800 x 450 - 62K
  • Simple tasty sauce.

Pitch a tin of tomatoes, some garlic and a pinch of oregano, salt, pepper.

Blitz it.

Simple, tasty, and you can add whatever tickles your fancy.

• I learned with anchovies on the pizza that there was usually more pizza for me... LOL

• edited February 2015

Last nights dinner. The pizza stone on the barbie worked a treat.
    Ham. chicken, bacon, cabanosi, smoked pork, bacon and onion jam, garlic, chipoltle in adobe sauce on the base mixed with sweet baby rays and some pizza sauce and mozzarella.

pizza1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 98K

• Your barbie has a remote control?! You Aussies are a clever lot! :)

• My remote has to get me a drink now and then...

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...