Can we call it Rum

I've been lurking on this site for sometime now and decided to finally become a member. Although I felt like a member since day one. I have a recipe I was wondering if it could be called rum? I mean that's what I've been calling it for years, but since I have you guys at my fingertips I was wondering what y'all thought?

for a 8 gallon ferment I use

8 lbs dark brown sugar 
1 cup clover honey 
1 small can of tomato paste 
1 pack ec118 

Ferments in about 7 days with warm temps around 80 degrees in the winter
Much warmer in the summer months
I would tell you how I run it , but I think I use a different method just about every time. Although now I'm stripping two runs and adding them to the third coined by one of you guys on here . Anyway glad to be able to post now, love the site, keep up the good friendly vibes

Comments

• Hi Popcorn, No dought that you can make a good spirit. But that recipe will not render a Caribbean rum without at least some kind of dunder use. IMO.

The honey will bring very little to the table. I'd save the honey for your toast.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Alright, Smaug, let's see your current dunder pit :D

If I can get my first run of rum to behave, I will definitely start a pit of my own.

• I use Dunder wouldn't be the same without it but as far as the pit I started one still a lil skeptical

• Spirits distilled from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses or other sugar cane by-products at less than 95% alcohol by volume (190 proof) having the taste, aroma and characteristics generally attributed to rum and bottled at not less than 40% alcohol by volume (80 proof)

• You dont have to grow the mold structure to use the dunder.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• My process is to use say 1/3 or more left over stillage to dissolve the sugar and honey then add back to the fermentor and top with water. I am curious about the pit so I've stared one I'll post pic once it gets interesting. Thanks @CothermanDistilling that's exactly what I was wondering.

• I am someday interested in using the the lab grown dunder cultures with south florida sugar (dry/molasses/both) to make a rum, and have several nearby cutting edge craft breweries that grow non-standard beer bugs... but that project is just on the back burner until I get the business going a little more.

• @Popcorn - For the US, search for the "Alcoholic Beverage Manual" and you'll get the complete legal definition on how to call a certain spirit

• @Unsensibel - that is what i cut and pasted for him

• @CothermanDistilling - Yep, I have a PDF copy on my iPad and PC for easy settling of disputes ;-)

• Thinking about taking a few gallons of good rum, now when I say good I mean I have made. My cuts already. Soaking it in pineapples then throwing the whole concoction in the still. I'll prolly tie the pineapple chunks in a mesh bag then running it in pot still mode and using the carter head full of pineapples and maybe a vanilla bean. Any thoughts ? :-w

• I'm not sure why but banana and pineapple don't seem to carry over their flavors with distilling.

• Good to know. Thanks @Lloyd