Copper Plating on 8" Column

Hi Guys, Any thoughts on having the 8" bubble Tees copper plated? I have access to a platter nearby, and I prefer the look of a copper column over a stainless design. I realize that to some extent copper is sacrificed in the distilling process, and that I may need to re-plate over time. Has any one tried this? I know that the bubble plates are copper, but would copper plating effect the distillate flavor?

Comments

• I heard copper plating does not stick well to stainless... but I think you should have it done, easy to undo... I want the inside of my keggle plated! if I was still using flame, I would want the outside plated THICK... to spread heat..

• Thanks for the encouragement, but I am still hoping to hear from someone that has actually tried the plating route.

• I am talking with a local copper plating place that is very excited about plating the column sections. I am getting more info soon but there is obviously a discount with volume! Has anyone done this before ? SS is one of the substrates that is commonly copper plated and the temp is not an issue. He said they test their plating at 350deg F and then plunge it in ice water and it holds with out flaking or degrading.

• Knowing nothing about plating, the first thing I'd ask is what the plating is, is it 100% copper or some mix of metals? Does "copper" refer to the metal and not just a color?

Keep us updated!

• The copper is being installed only on the outside... and is being done only for the erection factor... or just for the aesthetics ?

• This is cool. It will certainly look great.
    But there are a few concerns... the plating will be quite thin and easy to scratch or even polish off.
    Then there is the problem of copper degrading over time as the alcohols interact with it. The plating should last a lot longer if its allowed to get its patina and not be polished away.
    Another consideration is the deposit will probably be thicker at the ends than in the middle so if its very thick, 0.2mm or more you may end up fighting the clamps.

Did your plater mention how thick the plating will be?

If I remember correctly, SS is usually plated with copper and then it can be plated with gold. Imagine that if its just for aesthetics.

Copper plated triclamps would be amazingly cool.

• With respect to "erection" plating I've been looking at using Titaniun Nitride, VERY tough and VERY flashy :D I was looking at getting certain components finished in Titanium Nitride to help break up the stainless and also add some razzle dazzle.

• Titanium nitride is a vapor deposition process and its a beautiful color ... tough as hell we started putting it on cutting tools back in the 80's

WIKI SAYS:

Titanium nitride (TiN) (sometimes known as “Tinite” or “TiNite” or “TiN”) is an extremely hard ceramic material, often used as a coating on titanium alloys, steel, carbide, and aluminium components to improve the substrate's surface properties.

Applied as a thin coating, TiN is used to harden and protect cutting and sliding surfaces, for decorative purposes (due to its gold appearance), and as a non-toxic exterior for medical implants. In most applications a coating of less than 5 micrometres (0.00020 in) is applied.