StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Jars for Infusing/Macerating

I'm looking to buy a couple of large jars that are safe to put high proof spirit in, and wondering what you folks use and where i might find something similar. I found Infused Vodka but their bloody expensive.

Any ideas?

Comments

• edited June 2013

The brew shops here in oz have similar ones eg Soaker Glass Jar / Bottle 9L& Bourbon / Whisky Oak Staves 200gm homebrew distil & Bottles | Soaker Glass 6L with Tap

Expensive for what they are.... why not just go to your local $2 shop fliptop jars / cookie jars for under $10 then swap the rubber seals or wrap them in teflon tape

• That question comes up so often i always suggest that the maserator... get a dozen of these for your macerations:

GUS KHRUSTALNY CASED CUT TO CLEAR CRYSTAL LIDDED VASE, URN, JAR - STUNNING!

but it you run out a quart canning jar works pretty darn well... nukin or non nukin

• I use 600ml green beer bottles for spirit collection. I have a couple of cases of them and they have served me well.
    1 liter wide mouth jars would be better but I don't have access to those.

• edited June 2013

@FullySilenced said: That question comes up so often i always suggest that the maserator... get a dozen of these for your macerations: GUS KHRUSTALNY CASED CUT TO CLEAR CRYSTAL LIDDED VASE, URN, JAR - STUNNING! but it you run out a quart canning jar works pretty darn well... nukin or non nukin

I don't think it would fit the Feng Shui of my estate in the hamptons... Might fit well in the back of the rolls but we hardly drive that clunker anymore since we picked up the bently. =))

I'm looking for something a larger than the canning jars I currently collect in. I had made up several jars with red and yellow peppers a few weeks back. They turned out to be a huge success with the family and were consumed quickly. so I'm looking for something that will hold a gallon or two.

@Crozdog thanks for the cookie jar idea, I think that will make do until one of my drunken family members ponys up and buys me one of FS "I dream of genie" bottles. ;)

• edited June 2013

I have a Salmanazar that had 9 litres of white wine in it when it was given to me. I use it to store Arak now.

Try selecting the wine bottle you like (up to 30 litres) and having a search for them by name.

Wine bottle @ Wikipedia

wine2.JPG
    600 x 450 - 59K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Here in NZ those lidded jars from the home brew shops are the same sort of ridiculous price and they have no seals at all and the taps look cheap and crappy. There must be a better option. Recently I looked through a medical/scientific supply website and thought I might find something there but no luck (they are a good place to find measuring jugs, beakers and other handy brewing supplies though). How it is we can buy good solid 5 litre bottles with sprung lids and handles for $16 and these crappy jars are $69? If only we all knew of someone in China who had an interest in distilling and could source and export something like this to us via a website which sold brewing and distilling gear?...

Seriously, there has to be something out there. I'm wanting to make some Cointreau!

Damo.

• edited June 2013

Here is where I picked up my erlenmeyer Flasks. Several arrived broken, I called and they asked how many we're broke and replaced them no questions asked. Quick shipping as well, but of course it's in the USA, which doesn't apply to the folks down under.

Science Lab Supplies

• edited June 2013

Sent the wifey out to the dollar store today in search of jars. She came back with these, not exactly what I wanted but the presentation is nice.

We had a family gathering today and I had to break out the homemade vodka. Everyone was commenting how smooth it was and that the mixed drinks tasted watered down (no Heads). since we are norwegian and the norwegian word for water is"vann" it wasn't long before my vodka turned into Vann-ka (pronounced von-ka). Labels soon to follow.

vann-ka.jpg
    600 x 450 - 51K
  • Nice! kudos to you :)>-

It is what you make it!

• Luna you tell her i think she did a jam up good job.... I like the bottles she chose... and color as well...

prolly can't ever look at that type of jar from now on and not think hmmm von-ka jars....

• Thanks guys.

@FullySilenced I told her and she got a kick out that. She picked them up at gordmans not the dollar store... 4 bucks a piece. They are old fashion milk jars.

• edited June 2013

@Damo said: ... If only we all knew of someone in China who had an interest in distilling and could source and export something like this to us via a website which sold brewing and distilling gear?...

I've had this for a couple of years. Bought it at a local medical supply. They are usually filled with medicinal herbs, reptiles and endangered species then topped up with alcohol. Its then sold for really big bucks (hundreds, even thousands of dollars).
    I bought this one new and empty. Its about 6 liters I think. Has a glass spigot that drips about 2 drops each week. There is a tiny breather hole drilled through the neck and stopper.

You have no idea how paranoid I am about shipping glass. Its a small miracle that this has survived 2 apartment moves.

I'd need about 5 or 6 of them to stock a bar. Bourbon, gin, scotch, etc...

SAM_0829.JPG
    600 x 800 - 49K
  • I like "Ball 2 litre Wide Mouth Preserving Jar - box of 6 for $39.95" (The Redback Trading Company)

I also look out for 2 liter glass bottles of fruit juice from the supermarket.

• @luckyliqueur good find.

off topic - I like the thought of using the "GRIP-EZ CORN CUTTER" for removing the kernels from fresh corn prior to cooking - it may save the hassle of rehydration - just don't like the thought of all the work lol. If anyone has tried using fresh corn please PM me.

Now returning to the normal program...

@Lloyd - nice.

• edited June 2013

I keep an eye out at the reject shop/ $2 shop and often turn up 3 litre flip top style jars. The bloody $2 shop wants $3 for them. KMart had some 2 litre fliptop jars that came with silicone seals for like $2 a peice. We've also got a surplus cannery outlet close by, they often have 2 litre jars of Dill pickles for about $3 a jar with nice screw on lids. Ditch the pickles and fill with something good! I've also seen 4 and 5 litre cookie jars, but they often have a poxy plastic seal thats no good for us, and they are a few bucks more than I want to pay. I do a few citrus macerations so I like the jars with big necks and lids. Masons or Fowlers jars are good, but a bit small. Also, spaggetti jars hold up to 2.5 litres and take up little space on a shelf

• 1 gallon demijohns. As long as you can get the stuff in and out it is OK.

3 lb sloes, 3 litres spirit and a bit of sugar fits in a demijohn just nicely.

storage.jpg
    571 x 440 - 33K
  • Although Fully Silenced brought up canning jars, there was no (serious) response. Does the rest of the world, outside of the US not do home canning or preserving? We have a wonderful array of glass jars with replaceable sealing lids in sizes from 1/4 pint (118ml) to 2 quarts (1893 ml). I use them for collection, aging, and storage.

All this is available in most grocery and hardware stores, in quantity, and cheap.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Not cheap here I'm afraid! In New Zealand we pay about $8 USD for a quart jar (Ball Mason). I just ordered some of the blue anniversary Ball Mason jars and they were $10 NZD each. Because they aren't that mainstream and sold more by gift shop as trendy vases, they are at a premium. Cheaper jars from chainstores are pretty crappy in comparison.

Damo.

• Check shipping from the states,I would help get some to you guys if shipping is not prohibitive!

It is what you make it!

• I would really like that bentstick but I do a lot of international freight and find that US to NZ is usually expensive. If I could find a good way though I might just take you up on that. I'll look into it.

Cheers, Damo.

• edited June 2013

For New Zealand 'stillers, take a look at this: Glass Jars - Arthur Holmes Ltd.

It seems they have some good pricing. They are a wholesaler but it looks as though the public can shop there too. Might be worth a look? The 'Fido' jars they have in 1500ml could do the trick.

Damo.

• 1500ml Fido jar and cliptop lid and white rubber fido seal - Arthur Holmes Ltd.

1500ml Quattro jar and preserving screw compound seal lid - Arthur Holmes Ltd.

Corks, Natural , Wooden , Plastic, Glass Topped and Synthetic - Arthur Holmes Ltd.

and they have sealing waxes too ... this would keep you from snitching a taste of a batch while you wait for it to age... or to hide the snitch... haha

Sealing Waxes and Instructions - Arthur Holmes Ltd.

all good stuff nice find and it seems to be local for you

• Fusi SS Olive oil jars would be the go if you are looking for larger volume

• Ball jars are exe and fairly rare here in Australia too. We used to have Fowlers jars pretty common, but preserving has declined in the last couple of generations. Same home sausage making and all the other food crafts (cept brewing and distilling).

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Punkin, canning is also declining in the States, but all the canning supplies still seem to hang on and be available in all the stores. Of course, we're old and backward, and live in a fairly rural area; I'm guessing Mason jars are harder to find in New York City, unless maybe they're boutique items.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits