StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Separate Boiler / Columns

Comments

• I see this as relevant. Commercial for sure, hobby maybe.

Boiler "A" actively producing while boiler "B" heats up. Through some valves and Boiler "B" becomes active while Boiler "A" is getting dumped and reloaded.

I've always admired punkin's big condenser hanging on the wall that he could route anything to. This is right there!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• edited December 2014

Thanks capt!. Not sure I follow you dad, there's only one boiler?. Thanks mech warrior!. Did some.polishing today and soldering unions on. No where near shinny enough but I can't be fucked!!.

1.jpg
    800 x 603 - 53K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 50K
    3.jpg
    603 x 800 - 55K
    4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 52K
  • As always you are a building machine !

Is it now complete? If so can you post an " as built" diagram? Also when you post the next video please supply us with a bit of narrative. ..........please.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• it's assembled but no where near complete smaug, this is a base unit so I can do some testing. When I started this I had a idea of how I wanted it to go together and run it, but after doing some runs, I now know i have many ideas I want to try, I never considered how many options I had available!!. It's like I've got endless different still configurations in one unit!. I will be doing more informative videos of all testing.

• I'd a rum run Friday night. Ran awesome!. I think the small input vapor tube is making a.difference, the plates were stable, active and faultless. Just had a real nice look to it, if thinking the space in the column base is doing something to. Vapor speeds into area size etc. used less power to run it and the gas consumption compared to when I run the column on the boiler was pretty significant!. Best still I've ever built or run by far!!!. ABV was up a point or to as well.

• daddad
    edited November 2014

You only have one boiler hooked up. But imagine someone who had three and could run Boiler A while prepping B & C. Run out Boiler A. Then with the through of a valve divert Boiler B to column, later C...

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• edited November 2014

Ah ok, with you now. Could be applied to any setup I'd imagine.

I'm going to try the plated section feeding into the packed section tomorrow. Have always wanted to try it, and recent info I've got has shown me some info that might make it work. If it works ok, this will be my final setup, a 3 way valve to change from just the plated section for rum to running sections in line for neutral.

googe.jpg
    800 x 600 - 78K
  • edited November 2014

Ran it tonight, couldn't wait!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KffyIaB_pck

• Good deal @googe seems to be running as planned. Taking fores atm? Curious to see output rate when you get to the Hearts. Thunmbs up mate :-bd

• @googe, it only takes one trailblazer. Now that you've done it I expect to be seeing a lot more of these builds in the new year.

• Thanks capt, yep was taking fores. Didn't test output, to busy playing and doing videos lol. Wish someone else did it mech, would have saved me some grief lol. There's 4 people doing it that I know of, 2 had already thought about it but I got in first lol. Hope more do, it's a great system, I'll never have a column on a boiler again!.

• edited November 2014

Couple years ago a member here @awesome in Aus did it with his beautiful 200l copper boiler and 3 x 8" Crystal Dragons, 2 of them table mounted. I don't have a pic of the finished unit, i wish i did.

crystal8inchcopperboiler1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 82K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Wish I had a boiler like that!. Any way to view his threads/posts?. Would like to see what he did!.

• Maybe you could search his name? Not really sure how that stuff works here.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Here and Here

There are other threads, search his name then select comments.

• Yeah I couldn't work it out either punkin lol. Thanks mech, some interesting ideas out there, wonder if any finished there projects!?.

• edited November 2014

Did a run with both rc's going, running through plated column into packed column using a birdwatchers wash. I loaded the plated section, then backed the coolant off and loaded the packed section, ran full reflux on the packed section for 15 mins or so. Take off was a touch under 95%. Bit of fiddling with valves to get it running good but ran great once I sorted it. Have just measured it again and it's 94% after sitting an hour or so. Last run using one rc was 92~93 off the still.and 91 after letting sit. So I've gained a few ABV, taste is better and takeoff is faster with both rc's going. Needed a bit more heat with both, not much, just a touch!. Lots of coolant lines lol, just did it with garden hose for testing, will be hard wired.

14165350524660.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
  • edited December 2014

Finally got the 3 way valve!, had to wait cause it was from China!. I like buying local but the cheapest I could find was over $100!, got this one for $30 delivered, can't beat that!. Got the connections soldered up, just need one more feed line and it's all finished!

3way.jpg
    800 x 600 - 50K
  • edited December 2014

All done now, just need to tidy up the coolant feeds.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 69K
    2.jpg
    603 x 800 - 66K
    3.jpg
    603 x 800 - 71K
    4.jpg
    603 x 800 - 61K
  • I just ordered a big pile of bits and pieces to try and put a 4-8 plate 4" column next to my 4-plate 8" CD on my 380L... so I can do a run of 190+...

• It's a good idea CD. I would do it off one of the 2" ports and have a condensor in the bottom of the 8" where it connects to the boiler or a valve. Condensor would be safer. Just swing your 4" setup (or carter head setup) on a cable from the roof so it's easy to attach and detach.

• I'm looking forward to seeing that CD!!!

• @punkin - initial plan is the 8" as normal, then pipe the vapor down along side tha column to the side port of a 4x2x2 torpedo upside down on the 2" 380L fitting (the fitting will need some sort of blockage then a and tube that goes into the liquid below and most likely below the elements) then the 4" on top, some bubble tees(as many as will fit and then my 4" CD, dephleg, u-bend, and condensers...

remember these?

Vintage Giant Tinker Toys in Original Box @ eBay

• Good stuff cotherman, looking forward to.seeing it!.

• That is an awesome setup @googe. If I had the room I would looking at doing something like that.