Converting from a Macerated to a Carter Gin head recipe

edited December 2014 in Recipes

Has anyone moved from a Macerated recipe to a full SD Carter Gin head yet? if so, how did you change your recipe? Ratios or did you only move partial ingredients?

We are thinking about moving our recipe, but before we started doing test batches, I was hoping someone had some experience converting to a "Vapor Infused" gin recipes.

Cheers

Comments

• I'd suggest you start with a lab scale setup, I've just recently purchased some equipment specifically with these trials in mind, macerated versus infused. I expect my final recipe will be a combination of the two techniques, with light aromatics in the vapour path and the heavy botanicals in the spirit. Time and experimentation will tell. I'll post photos of my trial rigs possibly as late as next week, earlier if I can.

Cheers,

Mech.

• Pics as promised.

The front unit sitting in the heating mantle is for distilling off botanicals within the boiler. The unit in the background is for distilling botanicals placed in the upper section for vapour infusion. It's not perfect but they'll do. I also have a Vigreux column should I wish to add some reflux to the process as well as a few other add-ons.

I chose a 2L setup and you can buy these and much smaller very easily from eBay.

Cheers,

Mech.

botanicals.jpg
    800 x 450 - 64K
  • edited December 2014

Thanks Mech,

Great minds think alike. Our "Alpha" testing system is much like yours, and I'm using a Dash 2 SD w/ Carter Head as our "Beta" testing system. Thoughts are currently around putting a SD Carter Head inline (with the chokes removed) with our Carl production system. Its still a debate for us, I was just wondering if anyone had come up with a rough math equation, we will use X percentage more botanical in the Carter head than macerating for the same flavor profile.

dyn.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
  • Darek Bell at Corsair says he uses this one: 2 LITER ESSENTIAL OIL STEAM DISTILLATION KIT $434.00+ S&H, you can probably piece it together cheaper...

eBay search for: ESSENTIAL OIL DISTILLATION KIT

• Another reason to go to the ADI conference:

adi.jpg
    800 x 598 - 90K
  • @CothermanDistilling said: Darek Bell at Corsair says he uses this one: 2 LITER ESSENTIAL OIL STEAM DISTILLATION KIT $434.00+ S&H, you can probably piece it together cheaper...

eBay search for: ESSENTIAL OIL DISTILLATION KIT

+1 That's the same kit I've got minus the hot plate.
    I ordered his book last night and a spare copy for a mate for Christmas.