StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Molasses Brix to Sugar

edited September 2014 in General

I want to reduce the amount of molasses in my rum recipe, how do i work out how much sugar to replace it with?, the molasses is 79.5 brix. so for every 1L of molasses I remove i add .............kg of sugar (plus a Liter of water).

Comments

• I really dont know what brix are and how they relate to molasses but what recipe are you using?

• daddad
    edited September 2014

Well, I think I have this right...79.5 brix is the same as 79.5 % sugar by mass.

So, add 3/4 a liter of sugar and enough water to make a liter and your within a few percent.

"Degrees Brix (symbol °Bx) is the sugar content of an aqueous solution. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution and represents the strength of the solution as percentage by mass."

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• edited September 2014

Problem is that there are other suspended solids within molasses that can distort the Brix.

18 brix is near perfect for Saccharomyces Cerevisiae.

1 gallon of molasses combined with 3.5 gallons of water will often get you to 15-20 Brix......(notice the range?).

Ever look at the analysis of various grades of molasses? Often all of the constituents listed have a range rather than a specific number. So much so that many of the constituents within each grade appear to be relatively equal in volume when considering the published range from grade to grade. Even the molasses providers do not really know specifically what is fermentable and unfermentable within their own publicized analysis. Ash content seems to be the determining factor more often than not when it comes to judging the grade.

Sorry for the drift.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug not a drift at all, actually very good point. I run into the same issues with panela, sort of.

• brix are what the third little pig built his house out of... and the big bad wolf couldn't blow it down...

• @FullySilenced you aint running on all cylinders! =))

• I thought 79.5 was the secons it took for a brix to sink in a drum of molasses

• edited September 2014

well iv been doing

day1: 4.5L molasses 1kg sugar 18L water

day2: 4.5L molasses 1kg sugar

day3: 4.5L molasses

wouldnt mind halving amount of molasses...

unless anyone knows a recipe that is easy and has a good amount of molasses but not as much as this?......

• I use a lot more in mine. 6Lt molasses 6Lt raw sugar 55lt filtered water and I like it a lot. If you want to reduce the amount of molasses what ever you subtract add in raw sugar.